Solar output confusion

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: Solar output confusion

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:39 am

Perhaps of some relevance is Ronald Brakels blog post here:
https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/poo ... rformance/
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby engineern6719 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:28 pm

To check my daily usage the solar was shutdown completely and readings for power use taken during the period that solar would normally operate.Only appliances used was dish washer and washing machine.Consumption during that period was 3kwh.The previous day solar production was 23.12kwh.Again the dishwasher and washing machine were used during the times of solar production.Power imported off the grid was exactly the same 3kwh.So even though solar production was quite good it didn’t export anything to the grid or cover the 3kwh used.Solar still has only exported 1kwh since the beginning of this bill period of about 40 days.
I don’t know where to go from here.I suspect the Elster A1100 meter is faulty but Origin Energy want to charge me $500 to test the meter.
Could somebody advise me where I could go from here.
engineern6719
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:40 pm

If you are not exporting anything, and apparently not using any of your own production, then the inverter can't be producing any output, ie your system isn't producing anything at all. Also, unless all days have been identically sunny, it seems unlikely that real output is always between 23 and 24kWh. What output does it show for a cloudy day?

You should get your installer to sort this out.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby engineern6719 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:23 pm

^^^

Yesterday cloudy (28th) inverter generation was 12.91kwh.Today inverter generation was 21.7kwh.These figures are taken from the Zevorsolar app and checking the inverter display.I thought you could assume that with these figures that the solar system is serviceable.
Been in contact with Origin who installed the system and are saying the solar system is serviceable.The level 2 electrician appointed by Origin to instal the solar has gone out of business.
I suspected the metering could be faulty considering the inverter outputs.So you say the the inverter can show an output but not be delivering.
engineern6719
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:52 pm

engineern6719 wrote:...the inverter can show an output but not be delivering.

No, since delivering energy = output. Any output must be either fed into the grid, used by your loads, or charging a battery.
If the inverter is showing output reliably, ie varies realistically with the conditions each day, then the meter must not be functioning correctly. There can be a slight discrepancy between the inverter output measurement and Origin's meter- the meters in inverters are generally not quite as accurate as the ones used to collect money, but they are generally close enough.
So it would appear to me that your Elster A1100 meter is either not configured correctly, or otherwise it is faulty.

Also, is no one at home during the day, with most usage at night? You mentioned 3kWh usage during the day, but also 15kWh/(24 hr) day usage.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby engineern6719 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:03 pm

I also suspect that Elster A1100 meter is faulty but this where the problem comes in.Even though Origin supplied and fitted the Elster meter they say they are not responsible for any faults in it and if I want it tested it would cost me $490.
The 15kwh per day mentioned earlier was taken from a pre solar bill.To be absolutely certain of daily usage during solar operation times is why the solar was completely shut down to get a accurate figure and checked again with solar on.
I don’t know what to do with Origin not being very helpful at all.Very stressful.
engineern6719
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:11 pm

Can you turn the solar off, turn on say a steady fixed 2.4kW load such as an electric heater, then turn the solar back on and record what the Elster meter says at each step? If it is sunny and the imported rate power does not decrease by the same amount as the solar is outputting (read from inverter), or go to exporting, then clearly the meter is not fit for purpose, and should be repaired under Australian Consumer Law.

You could take your case to the Ombudsman, or Dept of Fair trading.

Otherwise it might be worth just getting your own suitably qualified (to work on meters) sparky to have a look at it. The longer it goes on, the more it is costing you, so cutting your losses is worth considering. Record all your actions and dealings etc, and write up a review on one of the online review sites.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby engineern6719 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:55 pm

^^^

I don’t have anything for that size load except for the air conditioner.But that would not be a constant load.Thats why I carried out the test the other day with the solar turned off all day noting the import used and then with solar on and noting the imported amount.
The electrician that installed the system has gone out of business.Spoke to three other level 2 electricians and they can’t test the meter.One gave me a rather different response” Ah mate they either work or they don’t work”.Do you know what the procedure is for testing the meter?
Going to bite the bullet and contact Origin tomorrow and start the ball rolling.They firstly have to do a special read of the meter to confirm what I am telling them that solar has only added 1kwh since the start of this billing period.
engineern6719
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Privatteer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:08 am

engineern6719 wrote:They asked me to keep a log for a week to 10 days recording and photographing readings three times a day.

It would be good if you can post at least one set of photos and the results of the mentioned log.
Stage 1:
Fronius Primo 5 + 6.6kW Canadian Solar
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby engineern6719 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:25 am

Privatteer wrote:
engineern6719 wrote:They asked me to keep a log for a week to 10 days recording and photographing readings three times a day.

It would be good if you can post at least one set of photos and the results of the mentioned log.

Just tried to upload a photo of the report and couldn’t due to its size.
engineern6719
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics