Victron Easysolar inverters.

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Victron Easysolar inverters.

Postby Grakat » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:38 pm

Hello All,

I have been searching and following this forum for a while as my original plans was to build a shed with off grid power a few years ago, but then I was made redundant and it took a while to get back into full employment, so the finances took a hit. However I'm now back on track, and have just finished building an even better shed than the one that was originally planned.

I have been looking at my options to power the shed, and I am going to go offgrid. However, rather than start another offgrid shed thread I just wanted to find out wether a unit such as the Victron Easysolar 3KVA inverter unit as an all in one unit would be a worthwhile proposition or if it is still better to stick with separate charge controller/inverter charger applications. I do like the simplicity of the Victron unit, in particular that all the distribution work is already done on the 230V side.

My plans are to go 24V, and have a generator for the bigger loads. My plans is to run basic tools, chargers, refrigerator etc. I currently have 4 x 190W panels I picked up recently. I would use these to start off with. Planned usage is currently 1-2 days/week but could go up to 7 days a week for 6 months while we build the house.

Regards
Graham
Grakat
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Victron Easysolar inverters.

Postby australsolarier » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:06 pm

you might consider starting off a with 48V system. you will come to regret starting with a 24v system
victron has a good name.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GregoInc » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:44 am

Have been looking at the Victron Easysolar unit myself. A couple of observations I've found...

- agree with going 48v as it would be more efficient
- if you are going off grid why use the Easysolar? They appear to be more suited to grid tied setups i.e. they can switch between grid and offgrid power sources.
- for some reason I thought the Easysolar would be a one stop unit, but appears you may need to buy an MPPT charger to go between solar panels and batteries.

I also started looking at Latronics. Australian made, good quality, and a good price. Still on the fence, so would be interested in everyone's thinking.

Disclaimer.... I am no expert on above, just my opinion, and hope someone way smarter than me can comment.

EDIT, just did some more reading and was looking at the Multiplus not the Easysolar... so you can ignore most of above :oops:
GregoInc
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Grakat » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:40 am

Hi There

Unfortunately the information above is not as applicable for the Easysolar. The Easysolar has an MPPT charge controller built into it, but can also accept power from the grid or generator through its own connection.

I was looking to stay with 24V mainly because I have some 50L camping fridges which can run direct on 24V. They can also run on 230V but that then provides a load on the inverter.

Regards
Graham
Grakat
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby australsolarier » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:46 am

look at dc to dc converters. they are quite cheap and very efficient.
as for a load on the inverter, yes of course if you connect the fridges to them. just look at the next size up.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics