Solar Panels under performing majorly!!

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: Solar Panels under performing majorly!!

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:50 am

We await your PV1 & 2 voltage and current, grid voltage etc readings in the middle of the day in full sun.
Also house load at the time, and if you can turn a big load on to see if it makes any difference.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby chods1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:59 pm

It's very cloudy today. I don't know if it will clear up, may have to wait till tomorrow.
chods1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby chods1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Ok this is what I am getting at 12.55 one panel shaded .Output current 1.5 amps. Net volts 245.2. Grid power 276 w. PV1 293.6 volts, PV2 331 volts, PV1 current .4 amps, PV2 current .4 amps, PV1 input power 143 W, PV2 input power138 W. Normal house two fridges.
chods1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:13 pm

One shaded panel will wipe out the entire string almost entirely. What is causing the shading at this time of day?

Are you sure about the 143 and 138W string power numbers? That was what you reported the other day when it was all shaded.

As the panels are in shadow now these are the readings,Net voltage 245.2,Current 1.5 amp, PV1 293.6v, PV2 331v, PV1 amps .4, PV2 amps .4, PV1 143w, PV2 138w
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby chods1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:27 pm

A nearby tree.I'll check again when we have full sun again
chods1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby chods1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:36 pm

This what I have now. Power at inverter as on face plate [ for want of a better term], PV1 v 284V, PV2 v 353.5 V,PV1 current 7.2 amps, PV2 current .9 amp, PV1 Power 2064, PV2 power 324, Output current 9.3 amps, Net voltage 259.8, Grid power 2376.
chods1
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:52 pm

Seems to be something wrong with PV2 if there is no shading.
It only takes a vent pipe or TV antenna to cause a big loss of power.

That "net voltage", which I assume is the grid voltage, is getting pretty high, not good for some appliances.

What loads are running in the house? Can you try turning on a say 2.4kW load like a radiator heater and see if it makes any difference?
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Privatteer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:13 pm

Looks like I was right to be concerned about the mains cable. I'm surprised the unit has not actually shut down on over-voltage.
Fresh slate - recently moved.
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Indeed, I wonder what Eurosolar has set the HVD to? The manual says the it can be set up to 280V! It should be visible by going through the menu as specified in the user manual, but not adjustable for the customer.

I'd be concerned about damage to equipment at 260V for extended periods. It might be wise to install the required meter so that an export limit can be set, assuming Western Power(?) wont upgrade the cable.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Privatteer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:40 pm

The panel that was shaded, was that on the east or west side? Knowing that will give a fairly good idea if PV1 is east or west. It does look like PV2 may be suspect unless there is other causes such as shade or far greater angle than indicated.

Knowing Western power the 500m will be classed as owner responsibility. The meter may even be at the start of the run and not at the house.
I would also be concerned about getting to 260V region.

Edit: Doing some very rough calcs@500m your mains needs to be around 35mm2 to keep voltage rise/drop to max of 10V at a 5000w load/export.
If you have a local transformer and can manage to convince western power to lower the tapping to 230V it may help during the day. However you might then start seeing undervoltage issues at night.
Fresh slate - recently moved.
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics