What does Standby use mean?.

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

What does Standby use mean?.

Postby convict » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:12 pm

I have set of battery's that information IS:
Nominal Voltage 12V
Number of cell 6
Design Life 3~5 years
Nominal Capacity 77oF(25oC)
20 hour rate (0.85A, 10.5V) 17Ah
10 hour rate (1.68A, 10.5V) 16.8Ah
5 hour rate (3.01A, 10.5V) 15.05Ah
1 hour rate (12A, 9.6V) 12Ah
Internal Resistance
Fully Charged battery 77oF(25oC) 16mOhms
Self-Discharge
3% of capacity declined per month at 20oC(average)
Operating Temperature Range
Discharge -20~60oC
Charge -10~60oC
Storage -20~60oC
Max. Discharge Current 77oF(25oC) 225A(5s)
Short Circuit Current 850A
Charge Methods: Constant Voltage Charge 77oF(25oC)
Cycle use 14.5-14.9V
Maximum charging current 6.8A
Temperature compensation -30mV/oC
Standby use 13.6-13.8V
•Maintenance Free Valve Regulated Lead Acid Design
•Can be operated in horizontal or vertical position
•Non-spillable - Can be used in office equipment
•Manufactured under a certified ISO9001 quality system

Does standby use mean voltage when the battery is sitting there doing nothing (Storage) that it should read between 13.6-13.8V on my voltmeter?. My battery is currently @ 12.92v two days after charging and I am not sure what is a good storage voltage for a battery (AGM).
convict
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: What does Standby use mean?.

Postby jules » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:10 pm

12.9V sounds ok if the batteries aren't connected up to some sort of charger. The 13.6V to 13.8V range applies to batteries that have been fully charged and are connected to some form of charger that is maintaining that state of charge without pumping more power in for storage. With any solar system the voltage will drop at night to the sort of level you mention. It doesn't mean the battery has discharged in any significant way. As you can see in the specs you've posted, the claimed discharge rate, without load, is 3% per month.

What's your power source and how do you plan to regulate it?
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter. Off grid for 30 years.

Spares; 5 x 12V, 1,000 Ah batteries plus a couple of regulators
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:35 pm

The Standby Use voltage referred to in the specs refers to the voltage you should charge it to where it is used for a UPS or similar backup power supply, and not used in a cyclic manner, such as in an off-grid system.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby convict » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:16 pm

jules wrote:12.9V sounds ok if the batteries aren't connected up to some sort of charger. The 13.6V to 13.8V range applies to batteries that have been fully charged and are connected to some form of charger that is maintaining that state of charge without pumping more power in for storage. With any solar system the voltage will drop at night to the sort of level you mention. It doesn't mean the battery has discharged in any significant way. As you can see in the specs you've posted, the claimed discharge rate, without load, is 3% per month.

What's your power source and how do you plan to regulate it?

I intend to use 3 of these battery's in parallel put inside a battery-box. I have a small waterproof MMPT with a small 40w solar panel, This is to run my boats (Tinny) electric motor when chasing fish or if my main 3.5hp motor fails (saves me using oars). The website from where there from says that can be used in solar setups.
Other then running the electric motor and AM/FM radio, It would be running a little cooler for my water bottles.
Heres a link to the type of battery they are:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-20AH-AGM-SLA-DEEP-CYCLE-Battery-SCOOTER-GOLF-CART-BUGGY-wheelchair-18AH-/351061585144?hash=item51bce6acf8:g:5WsAAOSwcnpTqwfN
convict
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby convict » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:34 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:The Standby Use voltage referred to in the specs refers to the voltage you should charge it to where it is used for a UPS or similar backup power supply, and not used in a cyclic manner, such as in an off-grid system.

So if I did use them in a small off grid system you are saying they will fail from the spec sheet information?.
Can you explain it further.
Thanks.
convict
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:52 pm

I can't really say, since the specs don't apply to the replacement, the listed one is: "Currently Out Of Stock"

The one the specs are for can be used for either cyclic or standby, since they give specifications for both types of use.

However, running 3 in parallel is far from ideal, it gives you 3 times the number of cells to fail, and there is no way to monitor individual cells in sealed 12V batteries.

I'd recommend you go with a single larger battery, such as this one:
used-wind-solar/topic6563.html

Less than twice the price, but you will get quite a bit more than twice the useful energy from it. I could be convinced to knock the price down a little bit more ;)
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby convict » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:49 pm

Yeah one battery would be ideal makes more sense, However I didn't pay a cent for these battery's so if they fail then so be it and with a max life of 6 years under float (So they say) I might as well use them and it is just for my Tinny boat. They are brand new BTW.

As for the new battery's with that link provided, I am saving up for when I do my house off grid to make purchases like that. Thank you anyway Gordon, my wife and I really enjoyed your Gunagulla Garden web page.
Do you have a page for your solar system setup?.
convict
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:01 pm

Thanks Convict :)

Yes, if they were free, you may we well make the most of them! If you aren't sure of the best way to connect them, have a look here: http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

I have no pages devoted to solar, but there are a number of threads I've started or contributed to on this forum regarding solar, batteries etc, with data from my system.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jules » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:21 pm

I take it you'll pull the batteries out of the tinny and connect them to the panel on land?

If you're using the electric boat motor infrequently, the 40W panel might be enough to keep the batteries charged BUT it's a pretty small panel and my guess, without knowing the power consumption, would be that you couldn't also run a cooler for your water bottles, especially if you're wanting to do that for 24hr. The [portable?] radio should be fine as most of them a fairly miserly on power, though car radios can use a surprising amount of power. If you've got the space a 200W+ panel would make a lot of sense.

Your batteries are sealed which is great in some ways but it's very important not to allow the charge voltage to get too high because this can cause a build up in pressure within the cells to the point that they have to blow off gas [inc hydrogen, oxygen and water vapour, none of which you wan to lose] through a relief valve. The point here is that the max charging voltage for sealed AGMs is usually lower than that set for traditional lead-acid batteries. Check to see what settings your regulator will allow you to set the max charge voltage to. I'd suggest 14.5V as an absolute max [despite the range given in the specs]. You also want to be sure that once the batteries are fully charged, the voltage drops down to the 13.6 - 13.8 level. You could check that with your meter.

I'm using a large set of batteries sealed AGM batteries to power my off-grid house, so they certainly work but their operating specs and limits have to be followed. You'd need to keep an eye on the depth of discharge over the periods you're running your electric motor . Anything below 50% on a regular basis will greatly shorten the life of your batteries but keeping them above say 80% full might not give you much usable power for motoring.
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter. Off grid for 30 years.

Spares; 5 x 12V, 1,000 Ah batteries plus a couple of regulators
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby convict » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi jules,
I actual thought the 40w panel was overkill, The panel will be installed at the front of the boat. Since the boat only gets used 3 to 4 times a year max and when in water I'm only out there for maybe 5 to 6 hours maximum(Daytime). I would not be using the trolling electric motor much maybe running it 4 times with max use being @ 3min troll, Its a 12v 15amp rated motor but don't no the Kw usage. The radio is 9v portable, I have a cheap step-down for it coming of the MMPT load line. And it is programmable so I will look at the charging voltage to float voltage etc. I'm confident in this setup as I wont be in "open waters" etc.
convict
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Next

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics