Broken ReWind Energy 5kw Wind Turbine

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Broken ReWind Energy 5kw Wind Turbine

Postby Chrisd » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:06 pm

Hi
I've just bought a farm in NSW with a broken 5kw Rewind Energy Wind Turbine. Seems Rewind Energy have gone bankrupt trying to service all their faulty wind turbines under warranty, but I was wondering what options are available for either;
1. Getting it running again (permanently, rather than constantly replacing parts every time the wind blows too fast.) or
2. Getting rid of it

If anyone has any information, or post-Rewind Energy remediation success stories I'd love to hear them. I don't know if there's a commonly used replacement turbine or a permanent fix that can be performed on them without having to replace all the perfectly working collateral like tower, base, blades, inverter etc?attachment=1]20150815_144640.jpg[/attachment]
20150815_1445272.jpg
inverter specs
Attachments
20150815_144640.jpg
wind turbine specs
Chrisd
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Broken ReWind Energy 5kw Wind Turbine

Postby Privatteer » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:50 pm

There was one Gerringong company, Rewind Energy, who installed over 300 wind systems in NSW. Unfortunately, they were missing some key components such as braking mechanisms (which shuts the system down in high wind events), and slip ring technology (which stops the vertical tracking axis from over-twisting). As such, these turbines failed – which is what you saw on the South Coast. With the supplier having no idea how to respond to the flood of problems, Rewind went bankrupt, leaving the turbine owners in the lurch.

Taken from http://www.repower.net.au/news/small-wind-basics-with-katie-ross

SMA equipment is normally quite good so the Windyboy should be fine unless its been killed by overvoltage.

Do you know what is currently broken on the turbine?
Stage 1:
Fronius Primo 5 + 6.6kW Canadian Solar
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Broken ReWind Energy 5kw Wind Turbine

Postby Chrisd » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:59 am

Thanks for the reply Privatteer.

I'm afraid I have no idea - the only thing I got from the previous owner was that his suspicion was that if was the location was too windy for the poor thing - which correlates nicely with that quote you posted suggesting the lack of braking mechanism caused some issues.

I wouldn't know where to start in regards to troubleshooting the thing, what sort of technician would I need to find who could come out and tell me? I'm in Gunning, NSW if that helps.
Chrisd
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics