Help needed upgrading solar system

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Help needed upgrading solar system

Postby danica » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi All

This is my first post so I hope I have done it correctly.

I am hoping for advice regarding either upgrading my current solar system, or putting on a new one.

We currently have a 6 panel solar system, which was on the house when we bought it a year ago. The inverter has the capacity to support another 6 panels apparently (2kw).

A few months ago I looked into upgrading the system as we are getting large-ish bills. I spoke to a large national solar company who were having a great deal on a 5kw inverter and 20 panels. My concerns were whether I would keep the 40c feed in tariff if I upgraded. I was told I would and put a deposit down for the system. The aim was to keep my existing system, and have the new one as a second system. Keeping the 40c feed in tariff.

A couple of weeks later I received an email from them confirming I knew I would lose the 40c feed in tariff, down to 7c. And was advised if I kept both systems I wouldn't receive a feed in tariff at all (over 5kw total).

Long story short, I asked a locally owned solar company to come and take a look and see what they thought. His recommendations are: We can however work within your 2 kW limit to retain the 40 cent feed in Tariff that you currently have by removing the system completely and fitting 2 kW of micro inverters,
We would propose to use 215 watt micros inverters (These work fine with 250 Watt panels as per the attached PDF) each micro inverter is attached to the rear of a new 250 W solar panel, this would give you 9 panels expanding the system to 2 kW, and still come within the 2 kW Synergy limit as the inverter capacity is 1935 watts. Total cost is $5,272.70.

The advice I need is, am I better off upgrading my current system and having a 2kw system with a feed in tariff of 40 cents (for another 5 years), or removing existing system and having a 5kw system with a feed in tariff of 7 cents?

We have quite a large house, and a pool, so consumption is reasonably high. The last two bills we have received (autumn / winter) have been $200 - 250 (for two months), and the highest bill I received was over summer and was about $500.

Thank you, I appreciate any advice.
danica
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Help needed upgrading solar system

Postby Bthree » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:51 pm

Welcome Danica,

First question which helps people make an informed decision Which state is your residence ?

Brand and model of your present inverter ?

Any idea specifications of the 6 existing panels ?
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Benny » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:56 pm

same questions posted on ATA forum - maybe we can all follow/comment there and avoid doubling up of info' ?
Danica is from Perth, so actually on 47c FiT.
Benny
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby danica » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:00 pm

Hi Bthree

I am in the Perth Hills.

The current system is 1 x Orion 2.2kw inverter, 6 x Suntech SPT175S-24AC panels.

danica
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:50 am

I don't know the WA rules on FIT... but two thoughts.. ( is the FIT program NET or GROSS???)

First .. if you can go to the inverter limit and retain the FIT.. then that would be a start..

Second... could you add a second system and use a power diversion system to prevent that extra generation from exporting and thus void your approval ..?
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics