Skystream 3.7 braking at 60 RPM

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Skystream 3.7 braking at 60 RPM

Postby gshteynberg » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:31 am

Hello all,

I really hope that someone out there can help.

I've been trying to understand why my skystream 3.7 starts braking when it
reaches 60 RPM. When the RPM reaches 120, it really brakes. After it brakes, it always comes to a complete stop, then goes into a "waiting" period for exactly 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, it is ready to generate again, however, it begins braking again once it reaches 60 RPM and so on.

I've included a graph that demonstrates one such episode. It's showing RPM (dark blue line) and power regulation (light blue line) across time in seconds on the x-axis. I am assuming power regulation = active braking by the wind turbine. But please correct me if I am wrong
graph.jpg

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks, Garriy
--
gshteynberg
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Skystream 3.7 braking at 60 RPM

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:38 am

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Garriy :)

If it is regulating to a voltage, I'd say there was nothing wrong- your battery is approaching fully charged. If you can post a plot showing output voltage and current when it is regulating, that would be very useful.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby gshteynberg » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:54 am

Gordon,

Thank you so much for your reply. I don't believe we have a battery at all - the skystream is plugged into the grid.

I am attaching a graph that has what you asked for (I think) and some more lines that looked interesting.

Thanks Again!

Garriy

graph_with_lots.jpg
gshteynberg
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby gshteynberg » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:11 am

Gordon,

Here is another one more clear graph, I realized the last one was a bit busy.

Thanks,Garriy

graph_final.png
gshteynberg
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby gshteynberg » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:20 am

Gordon,

So sorry, perhaps 3rd time is the charm.

It's hard to see current out still on the graph below, but I can tell you that it goes from .09 when idle to .40 (or so) around when peak regulation is happening.

Thanks, Garriy

graph_final2.png
gshteynberg
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:40 am

What units are are the numbers in scale along the bottom?

It's clear that you are getting almost no output, one brief burst of 50W is all I can see in the plot, yet there is a lot of "power regulation" going on, so there might be a problem with the configuration- wrong voltage or something, plus there is not enough wind for useful output.

What voltage is the grid supposed to be?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby gshteynberg » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:31 am

Hi,

Unfortunately I just don't know what units those are in. It is very possible that there is a wrong configuration of something (both the power company and the installers could have made a mistake). Below I am posting my advanced diagnostic screen when there is absolutely no wind . I hope one of those boxes gives the voltage of the grid.

no_wind.png

Also, here is the same screen when it there just enough wind to generate. As you can see power regulation also comes on, and moments after bring the RPM to 0 by breaking.

yes_wind.png

Again, it is highly possible that someone made a mistake in the settings - it is a small island and people are not always well trained. .

As far as wind speed, it seems that it can get up to 4-5mph before the wind turbine starts braking.

I guess my main question is whether something is wrong with the turbine itself (some circuit burned out), or something is wrong with the settings of the inverter, power grid, etc

Again, any help would be very appreciated. Best, Garriy
gshteynberg
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:46 am

Is ripple trip either a 0 or 1 to indiucate off or on, or is it always tripped, as the ripple is more than the setting of 0? What does "ripple trip" actually do when it happens?
If there is ripple in the DC, it may be due to blown diodes in the 3 phase rectifier.

What do all those status codes mean? There should be a table in the user manual.

That DC bus voltage seems rather high, for the 110V grid voltage, and I'm not sure where it is coming from when there is no wind.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby gshteynberg » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:37 pm

hi Gordon, there are good points. The manual unfortunately does not define any of those fields. I been in touch w the company, but they have yet to respond.

The high voltage is DC Bus is really interesting. We also have a lot of solar panels, could it be that they somehow have the wrong settings/wiring, such that the wind turbine is sending the voltage from solar?

It could be that the turbine braks because it senses the voltage that is not actually there?
gshteynberg
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:25 pm

Any idea how many panels are in your strings, and what Vmp they are- what happens to that DC bus voltage at night? I guess it is possible the PV is going through the wind turbine regulator, but that is just speculation on my part.
What do you see when you click on Show Ripple (when the wind is blowing a little bit)? Any chance of a screen shot with suitable scaling?
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Next

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics