help im new is this how it works??

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

help im new is this how it works??

Postby sozo13 » Mon May 04, 2015 2:45 pm

I recently got this stuff for near nothing ...im new to solar setups and due to some harsh chemo therapy recently ..feel like I have the focus of a 9 year old with ADD and a bag of candy...so my eyes glaze over on some of the calculation for running x and y for z hours on this and that ...so sorry if this comes off a bit scattered .but heres what I have and heres what I want to do. how far off am I with what I have ..

4 120 watt matching Kyocera panels 7.1 max amp
1 2210 tracer mppt controller 20 amp 12v/260 24v/520
4 6v 220 ah gc2 6v batteries
1 300 watt pure sine inverter

my current plan is to get the 4 panels going as series/parallel 480w 14.2 amp @ 24v ? if i understand the way it works ..
connected to the 4 6v batteries set up as a 440 12v bank

does this sound correct ..and will the mppt do this ...any major issues with this I don't understand??
sozo13
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: help im new is this how it works??

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon May 04, 2015 3:54 pm

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums sozo13 :)

One problem is the voltage- if you go for a 12V battery with 2S2P for your 6V batteries, you have too many panels (480W) for the Tracer 2210, which has a max DC input of 260W for a 12V battery. If you configured them as a 24V battery, then the Tracer can handle 520W input.
You could connect all 4 panels in series for a 24V battery.

Be careful with the standby load of the inverter, some of the less expensive imported units use a lot of power continuously, even when you have nothing plugged in and running.

How old are the batteries?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby sozo13 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:09 pm

ok so maybe im close to getting where im off on my understanding

so even though the panels are rated for 520w 24v it can only do that if my bank is 24v? I was under the impression the mppt could step down 24v to 12v

so now are these my only options?
1. run only 2 panels to use 12v bank/inverter should I have them as 12v or 24? do I have that option with 2 panels?
2.get a 24v inverter and wire batteries accordingly?
3 add a second mppt with the other 2 panels ..or bigger for both?
sozo13
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon May 11, 2015 8:50 am

The output power rating of the Tracer is lower at 12V than at 24V because there is a fixed current limit. Yes the MPPT charge controller can step down the voltage, but you are still limited by the output rating.
You could use all 4 panels if you point them in in pairs in different directions (120 degrees apart), but if all 4 are pointed at the sun at the same time, you might let the magic smoke out. See this thread: solar-wind-gear/topic5064.html

In most cases 24V is better than 12V, but if you don't want to spend any money on a new inverter then 12V will probably do. What do you want to power with this?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics