Adding more solar panels

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Adding more solar panels

Postby summaview » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:57 pm

I have a 1kw system at present if I want to add more, do the new solar panels have to match the ones that I have already got, the panels that I have got are each 175 watt :?:
summaview
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Adding more solar panels

Postby Sandivee » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:09 pm

You should definitely try and match your existing panels. Also your inverter will play a big role in how many panels your can or cannot add. What inverter do you currently have?
Australian LED Lighting Solutions
http://www.LightingMatters.com.au
Sandivee
Energy Matters Team
Energy Matters Team

Postby summaview » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:11 pm

I have an orion 2kw inverter
summaview
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Vincent » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi there
yes, the matching solar panel would be the best, check out your inverter size first before add more panels
unless you have SMA Sunny boy transfomerless grid connect inverter, this inverter can be connected Two string in parallel, hence two difference types of solar modules. :)
cheers
vin
Vincent
Energy Matters Forum Team

Check out Energy Matters' current solar power specials
or try our instant online solar quoting system!
Vincent
Energy Matters Team
Energy Matters Team

Postby summaview » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:33 pm

the solar panels that I have are made by Webel.
summaview
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby micke » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:14 am

You should be able to add another 6 175W panels of the same type. The new configuration of the system would be 2 parallel strings of 6 175W panels.
micke
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Tracker » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:33 am

As mentioned elsewhere, the critical component is the INVERTER. You currently have 1Kw (input) capacity.
As you have 2Kw inverter then you can obviously add another 1Kw input. BUT - you must be certain that you don't blow the inverter. (Little likelihood)

You would naturally be better off with the same panels, but, there might be a considerable cost difference with other panels. eg. 6 by Solar-E (170W) panels. You could even do a complete DIY by purchasing panels from a non-conventional solar source like Oatley Electronics. I presume that your current panels are 6 by 24Volters. You could even use 12 by 12Volters .

You SHOULD be able to add ANY brand of extra panels, provided that they end up with approximately the same output voltage as the originals, with one safety precaution - DIODE protection of the TWO strings.
The more closely matched the strings are, the better, and the greater the total efficiency.
Naturally, they have to be set up as two 1Kw parallel strings.

If there is a contra-opinion to this suggestion, then I would love to hear the reason, naturally , derived from experience and not what has been heard. This stuff is NOT rocket science, despite what some installers would like to make out.
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby SR76 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:19 pm

Do be careful, though, and make sure your installer has done the right calcs rather than trying to DIY.

I made the mistake of using Sunny Design and selecting a set of panels to match my inverter which seemed to work according to the program, but didn't take into account the required safety factors. When these were added in, the total current of two strings + the 25% (?) allowance exceeded the inverter's recommended current capacity - so I ended up with a different configuration after my installer double-checked it.

Good luck,

-SR
SR76
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics