Questions: 48V off-grid system + inverter mods

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Questions: 48V off-grid system + inverter mods

Postby aussie37 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:33 am

Hi solar gurus, this is my first post and have to say What a CRACKER forum post this is. Have learnt more about solar power and inverters here than anywhere else. Have been totally MISinformed on many areas by so called experts. Have a long way to go and catch up with a lot of knowledgeable people. NOW here is my question(s),
I have 2 major jobs to involve myself in, first is the house so will put that question first,(leave the motorhome for later). Oztules has convinced me to run 48volts of battery output to lower the amps needed to run the inverter (I will be doing the Torroid mod,already have the inspires), however charging the batts at 48v has got me stumped. I live in Tassie and down here 6mts solar is awesome,and 6mths is crap so will have to have genny backup on some days.(don't have enough area for large array like Ostules on Flinders)Now do I just have separate panels with controler for charging or how do I utilize the extra solar power I will have during peak sun. One advantage at the moment is that the solar is in the planning stage, and let me tell you how bloody happy I am I found this site. This will be a stand alone system using a grid tie with batteries as the grid.
Please let me know if this is of topic and I will go to another thread, it is just that there is so much knowledge here that I have posted here as trying to explain using a grid tie with batteries to some people is IMPOSSIBLE.
Thanks for your time and hope to hear from a guru soon Jeff.
aussie37
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re:Questions: 48V off-grid system + inverter mods

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:55 am

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Jeff :)

I'm a bit confused about what you are wanting to do there, will you have a grid connection, in which case it would be called a hybrid system, or are you talking about an AC coupled off-grid system?

Charging batteries from solar would best be done via a Maximum Power Point Tracking charge controller, brands such as Midnite Solar, Outback Power or Morningstar are pretty reliable with long warranties.

What sort of battery are you planning to use?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: Questions: 48V off-grid system + inverter mods

Postby aussie37 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:34 pm

Hi Gordon,Thanks for the quick reply, I know this thread is about inverter mods, so reluctant to get the thread going down a different track. It will be stand alone using a grid tie inverter with an array to run it and batteries with an inverter as the grid when the array power drops off. Just need an informed idea about battery charging as it appears that it is an issue when doing a setup this way. Would like to keep this thread on inverter mods as have a motorhome setup that is crap and need you guys to maybe give me some ideas about that at a later date. thanks, cheers jeff
aussie37
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics