Most efficient way to heat my home?

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: Most efficient way to heat my home?

Postby scar59 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:58 pm

simoga 13, Have you investigated a "Rocket Mass Heater" look it up on the internet.,They seem to build a lot in America and Canada. I don't know if anyone in Australia is building them but I think you could work out how to do it. They can use waste wood to keep the fuel cost down and are extremely efficient. Being that they have a brick and clay "Mass" they hold a lot of heat after they have gone out for the night, keeping the house warm.
scar59
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Cebarbourrnbsn » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:53 am

I am purchasing a church/hall to renovate. How is your home coming and do you have pic to share .....carol
Cebarbourrnbsn
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby simoga13 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:19 pm

Cebarbourrnbsn wrote:I am purchasing a church/hall to renovate. How is your home coming and do you have pic to share .....carol

Hi Carol

I do but don't have time to post this weekend. I'll get to it next week for you. It's been a very challenging, yet rewarding project. It's a really nice home but, boy, it's been hard work. :D
simoga13
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby builder » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi All,

have you heard of Thermaskirt?

www.thermaskirtaustralia.com.au

I had it installed in my house after allot of debate and research into our options, Absolutely love it and glad we took the plunge! We went with the gas boiler, but we were also looking at the option of using a heat pump and think this could be a good option for people without mains gas supply. Showed it to my friends and clients, they are now having it installed. The good thing is that it can be retro fitted reasonably easily where underfloor is harder to retrofit.
We have a large amount of floor to ceiling glass in our open plan living/dining/kitchen area giving us no options really for installing panel radiators anyway. We found that the ThermaSkirt still managed to keep the room cozy this last winter. They installed the ThermaSkirt under our kitchen units on the front of the kick board and we can't even tell it is there.
We did come across a few negative comments when we were doing our research prior to go ahead with this option but found that most of this was down to incorrect installation. Due to this I would recommend that you look at getting it installed by someone who knows what they are doing. We used ThermaSkirt Australia who use their own installation teams and we were very happy with the outcome and finished product. Let me know if you would like me to post some pics of my house and I'll take a few for you. Hope this help
builder
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby bpratt » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:31 am

I think I'd prefer to go for reverse cycle split a/c than only heating the house through winter via the skirting boards.

At least I could be cooler in the summer as well that way. :)
Kaco 6600
26 x Trina Honey 250w panels. (wish I could work out how to upload to pvoutput.org)

New house build :-
http://bandlnewhomebuild.blogspot.com

My weather station :-
http://jimboombaweather.com
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:59 am

I looked at Thermaskirt a while back, but too expensive and I see no big advantage for me over the solar hydronics with fan assisted radiator plus reverse cycle AC, which is very efficient with the newer ACs.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Helipos » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:53 pm

I could only really see it being popular for a retro fit.
Helipos
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:16 am

I was just thinking solar hydronics vs a reverse cycle split system.

How would they compare. Lets say a 2.5kw inverter split system was $1200 installed and the running cost with a COP of 5 is about 0.5kwh pr hr of operation at rated output. 10hrs of heating for (5kwh) for 25kwh of heat output.

What size - cost solar hydronics system would you need to give you say (25kwh of heat over 10hrs) The advantage I see in the Hydronics is the running cost once installed.

My plan is to only use my RC heating to take the edge off a cold room for short periods while the thermal mass of the 200+kg wood heater gets going. Convenience is what it is. Just switch on and 10 min later a room feels warm. If you just want to use a room for a few hrs.

One negative with RC heating is how dry the heat is. Several hrs in a room can have your eyes feeling scratchy and dry.

Best way to heat a home is move it to QLD :lol:

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby builder » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:38 am

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:I looked at Thermaskirt a while back, but too expensive and I see no big advantage for me over the solar hydronics with fan assisted radiator plus reverse cycle AC, which is very efficient with the newer ACs.

The problem i have is that i suffer from allergies and anything that can hold dust and then distribute the heat using fan assisted units makes it worse. i do have split systems as well, and have compared the heat. it is absolutely different ball game. as for the cost, yes , it is a little more expensive than normal radiators, but my walls a free from those ugly panels( which could not have been used anyway in my house due to the open plan living that i have)
builder
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby builder » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:47 am

Helipos wrote:I could only really see it being popular for a retro fit.

yes, it is great for retrofits, but it is much easier to install in new builds.
time after time that my customers wanted to install inslab heating, they compared the cost of installing thermaskirt, it was a lot cheaper.

the company has results from some Swedish university that compared the panels to thermaskirt, and the results are astounding,

have a look at these links that i found on line

http://www.architectsdatafile.co.uk/new ... radiators/

http://architectandbuilder.com.au/therm ... or-office/
builder
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics