Maximum kW?

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Maximum kW?

Postby griffo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:37 pm

I have 7 panels and wish to increase. One supplier said a household can only have a maximum of 3.5kW. Does anyone know if this is true?
griffo
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Maximum kW?

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:12 pm

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Griffo :)

The short answer is no, it isn't true.

If you could tell us your location, that would help somewhat, there is a place for it in your profile so people dont have to ask, it will appear over there ----------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>

If you aren't exporting to the grid, you can go as large as you like. There are varying limits in different parts of the country for systems that export to the grid.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Tracker » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:16 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:There are varying limits in different parts of the country for systems that export to the grid.

But there does seem to be a developing TREND to limit "Standard" household PV to 5kW...
I think, that is the case in the Eastern States..

This does not mean that you cannot ask for more.. It just means that under 5, will likely get approval, and above 5 THEY will likely investigate more..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:52 pm

5kW limit is an old trend, the new trend is to ban energy exports to the grid! Qld is first in line, see:
http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/utiliti ... grid-15250
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Whitespeed » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:37 pm

This is interesting.

As it stands the temptation to add battery has increased for many with the drop to 8c feed in. I feel many that have solar for the "feel good effect" will finally abandon the grid when they find they can't add their excess to the "green energy" pool.

The balance between subsidised on grid, and self funded off grid should narrow and hopefully reduce pricing for all those that are doing it for the right reasons, not just for profit.
Whitespeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:09 am

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:5kW limit is an old trend, the new trend is to ban energy exports to the grid! Qld is first in line.......

I had seen that... elsewhere... but I wonder how really serious the problem will be, or will it be selectively applied..
Ie.. common policy, but informally enforced.
Eg. Certain areas -- total ban...
other areas -- one side of the road might be yea and the other nay.. :cry:

Heaven forbid that it is actually a financial issue, masked as a technical one..

The likey bigger issue is that in the Northern States, with stronger Solar Insolation, the issues for the grid is greater.. ie greater instability..
It will be interesting just how the Southern States respond to the issue.. I suspect that they will stick with the 5k policy..

It WILL be fascinating to watch the development of battery / hybrid systems and the development of export prevention..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Cherokee Solar » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:00 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:the new trend is to ban energy exports to the grid!

Hi Gordon. Very interesting. I wonder how much of this is a grid stability issue and how much of this is a peak supply (and price) issue driven by the large generators?

I don't really know myself, but it would be a truly massive undertaking to balance supply and demand on the grid.

PS: Just chucked up two extra 190W panels to take the system here to: about 4.2kW - Oh yeah, it's good. Absorb by 11.20am this morning (the sun only rose higher than the ridge at about 10.45am) :D
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:47 pm

Getting a little OT, but it is related to imposed limits. I think the main issue is profits- rooftop solar is killing the generators (= retailers in many cases) profits and they are doing all they can to stop it. The existing electricity industry is heading for a death spiral- rooftop solar means less demand, which leads to them charging higher prices to maintain profits, which makes more people install solar, which further reduces demand, and so on. It doesn't have anything to do with stability- SA manages fine with very high renewable contribution. The exception is in areas with undersized mains- the voltage fluctuates too much if there is a lot of PV systems exporting in an area. However, that is not all that different to a whole lot of people turning on or off their air conditioners. In Germany there are regions that are running on over 100% renewables- they export the excess.

Some places with high renewable penetration say the inflexible coal and nuclear generators get in the way of efficient operations!
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:21 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:5kW limit is an old trend, the new trend is to ban energy exports to the grid! Qld is first in line, see:
http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/utiliti ... grid-15250

very Interesting,

Though I got more of a kick out of reading through the readers comments under the story. Particularly the ones from the guy with the initials ( M R) what is he on about . He thinks that if you go of grid your starting a generator every day :lol: He also thinks that your PV's out is down to 1/2 output after a few years.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:08 pm

Yea, I see plenty of comments about off-grid systems by people with absolutely no idea...
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Next

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics