12v hut setup..

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: 12v hut setup..

Postby FNQBunyip » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:53 pm

thank you Bthree .. My head hurts :? from all the reading i've been doing and the dozens of solar retailers sites .

I had hoped to just click on a few bits , collect from post office , build a frame on the humpy roof and sit back with a cold beer ..lol

cheers
FNQBunyip
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby FNQBunyip » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:07 pm

Well this is not going to happen overnight , So with that in mind I have jumped in and brought one of the Marsol / Hurricane 200w 12v panels ..

I have a mate down the road with an old solar regulator he is going to lend me when it turns up so I can have a bit of a play seeing how much power I can get in a day ect ect ...
This will be handy as I think abit more about how best too set up ..

If worst comes to worst I can use it as a wind deflector on my old land-cruiser duel battery setup ..

Thanks for the input so far .
Cheers
FNQBunyip
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby FNQBunyip » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:46 am

Well I just got an email to say my panel will be delivered this morning .
I don't know how well made they are , but you can't fault the speed of
delivery ...

And it raining so won't be getting any real sun for a day or 2 by the looks of it
Bugger ..

Oh and I missed the PL 40 , was out bid , only wanted to spend 175 as if I spend anymore
I would just go new and be done with it ..
If anyone see a good deal please post ..lol

Cheers
FNQBunyip
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:20 am

http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:38 pm

That unit Gordon linked to doesn't look to bad for the price considering its MPPT , 40A and in AU.

Another suggestion (yes I have a soft spot for there gear) Midnite solar now do a small MPPT controller called (the kid) its only 30A from memory. Solid little unit though with some nice features thrown in but pricy though in Au.Less so in the US http://www.solarpanelstore.com/solar-power.large-charge-controllers.midnite_classic.mnkid_b.info.1.html

Regarding Marsdon, They do sell some rubbish (if it's a trusted brand name your looking at from them I guess it's fine). Not a scam company or unreliable just some nasty products that you get what you pay for. Some I question if they do actually meet specs/regs. I purchased some MC4 plugs from them that after dissecting one I wasn't satisfied with it (fake) I wouldn't trust it on my house/shed high voltage large system. I guess ok for a little low power/low voltage camping plug setup .Perhaps I am over pedantic about things but I just kept them and use them for small low power low vltage non critical jobs and ordered the genuine plugs from another shop.

I run two engle's (one as fridge 40lt and one as freezer 35lt) in my camper/ 4wd setup..not a cabin/hut but somewhat comparable to what your looking into. I run lights,pumps,fans and odds and ends I find at 12v I average around 30AH a day for the fridge and about 50ah for the freezer so 80ah a day. This is once it as been running for a few days and in average temps 25- 30C . The fridge and freezer run 24/7 the other loads you have a bit of a choice how much you use them. and they are much smaller in total. I would say 400Ah would be a good size battery if you want to keep the discharge lowish for a good life (lead acid). I run 310Ah but there is some car alternator top up between camps. Not that's its always needed just happens that way as I move camp . I am only running 240w of pv to though I would suggest more if you didn't have the car alternator as a backup.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:37 pm

Sorry, edit to above post... (Marsol) not Marsden.

To sum up in short about them. They do sell the good brands, Outback, Midnite , SMA and so on but then they also sell some cheap crap particularly in there cable-connections, clips and small regs and so on. The service was fine but the crap plugs turned me off. I prefer to buy from a company that at least sets some lower cut of limits to the products they sell (as in should meet some standards).

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Whitespeed » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:11 pm

Unfortunately I would have to add the linked controller to that line of crap :( Before some locals started importing them they where one of the cheaper MPPT controller you went to eBay for when you couldn't afford something decent.

Tracer is non adjustable, no options and 12/24v only. You need to allow some ceiling in regard to ratings as well. My experience tells me the limits advertised won't be tolerated for long.

The Midnite product should be a quality unit and will play along with you if you want to expand in the future. I cannot see them being a lot more money than the Tracer either.
Whitespeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby FNQBunyip » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:34 am

Ok thanks for all the input ..

cheers
FNQBunyip
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby karlajensen » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:48 pm

feedback?
how did you go?....

My recommendation would have been for 24V as the engels will do that and a normal 200W 72cell panel doesnt need MPPT to work.
Morningstar SS 20A 24V is about $140 (or less) and will run that lot no worries with upto 4 x 200W panels.

i reckon you need at least 3 as sunmmertime an engel on freeze will easily chomp though 2kWh/day
particularly if you're throwing warm cartons of beer in it :P

K
8E + 8W + 8Nth Garage CMS2000-1 with ~4500W in 3 strings of 8.
Fronius Galvo 3.0 inverter with ~6.6kW panels
12x ZNShine + 12x 180W Solarfuns both NW + ZNShine 12x190 facing SE.
Edwards Solar Hot water

Luck Favours the well prepared.
karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby FNQBunyip » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:13 pm

Hi Karlajensen ,, At this stage I'm still only doing my lighting needs ..

The panel is not on the roof yet as I'm still thinking about how to mount it so it can come down if a cyclone is coming our way ..
However with about 2 hrs full sun each arvo and bits from about 11:00 each day its more than keeping up with lighting..

A few other projects have got in the road of this at the moment but as I build up to running the engels I'll post back..

Thanks for the input ..

cheers
FNQBunyip
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics