pick your brains

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

pick your brains

Postby crarnp » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:14 pm

Hi, I have set up an off grid system. I am running a sunny island 3324 with a sunnyboy 4000 TL with twentysix 190 watt panels with a 1760 ah battery bank (c 10} I am wanting to put a small wind turbine 600 watt, through the sunny island but have spoken to SMA tech and they have told me if I send them a sunnyboy inverter they will modify it to act as a windyboy for a fee. Has anyone got any ideas as to what else is possible to connect to this system
crarnp
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: pick your brains

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:27 pm

Welcome to the Energy Matters Forums Crarnp :)

Unless you live in a particularly windy location, you'd be better off spending your money on more panels, rather than a wind turbine generator.
Do you have any wind statistics for your location? You need to study them along with your wind turbine output curve to get some idea of its viability, but for the vast majority of locations in Australia PV solar will outperform a small WTG.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: pick your brains

Postby crarnp » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:59 pm

Hi we live by the bay on a hill we are running an extra10 kw directly into the grid and have another 1kw running a lorenz 48 volt three phase pool pump. so I am just about out of realestate While we are getting our 44 cents I dont wish to connect more of the panels to the off grid but if things change I can put 16 kw of panels through. I have found with sunny island if the unit wants to do a full charge it does a bulk charge first to bring the batterys up to about 30.5 volts and then starts the full charge for 599 minutes there is not enough hours in a day to achieve this without connecting the sunny island to the grid, so my idea was to continue through the night with a turbine. I have a neighbour who put up a turbine nearly 30 years ago on a 20 metre post [he needed a highrise building permit] and most of the year this is all he uses to charge his banks all his pv goes through the grid as well. I wanted to connect through the sunny island but would have to have a purpose built inverter modified from a sunny boy for a fee [sounds like a lot of money to me] A tech at sma told me I could connect straight to the batterys if I set the voltage to .5 volt lower than the float charge of 27 volts so that would make it 26.5 volts so it wouldnt upset the sunny island . Iam trying to find out if there is another way to feed something else through the sunny island [That could talk to the sma unit] ? Thanks crarnp
crarnp
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics