measuring solar panel output

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

measuring solar panel output

Postby brucedownunder » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:44 am

Is there a more accurate way of measuring solar panel output at my control panel than just multiplying my analogue volts by analogue amps for a reading .

I've once see/read where this guy took into account some other factors,can't remember now , but it was certainly a different way to calculate the wattage ?.

Bruce
brucedownunder
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Re: measuring solar panel output

Postby Tracker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:19 am

But does it make a difference... :idea:

OUTPUT... what is output... :?:

Because the ultimate POWER from the panels is determined by the INSOLATION, and the MPPT function of the GCI or CC, then you really have no way of knowing..

Eg ...one member commented how one brand MPP algorithm was better than another at lower light, but the same at full insolation

You could construct a device that simulated the mppt voltage and then vary that to give different currents.... but again, to what end..

The OFFICIAL Way :?: . is to flash test each panel, but that is pretty pointless.. and very difficult..

SO.... my question is why are you concerned... :roll:

PS. Normally, the manufacturer gives the Vmp.. this then should be the voltage that you would need to measure the Current at, to compare expected and achieved power..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: measuring solar panel output

Postby Warpspeed » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:02 pm

brucedownunder wrote:Is there a more accurate way of measuring solar panel output at my control panel than just multiplying my analogue volts by analogue amps for a reading .

In a word, no.
Volts x amps = watts.
And that is what a solar panel is creating, and exactly what you are measuring.
Warpspeed
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics