40k for off grid am i crazy

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

40k for off grid am i crazy

Postby keystone » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:38 pm

HI gals and guys hope your all doing fine
Its all getting to me now have had no luck withn some of these solar companies they keep respect on the bottom of the boots the more they walk the more it wears out
The company im leaning towards is called Solar Farm Kits
you can find them on web and are queensland based been dealing with chap called Eddie seems very helpfull
all in all I am prepared to spend 40k on a 8.2kw sytem with Hyundai panels 33x250 watts
battery capacity 78.7kw
max usage 23.5kwh
max out put 40kw
invertercharger 6.0kw
32 agm batteries 410ah
these parts specified underneath where quoted to match a 6.0 kw system so don't know if they will change or marry up with larger sytem that I have since requested.The above specs I copied from his site for the larger system, that i am leaning towards
x series solar charger inverter 1000w to12000w
Beijing epsolar technology network MPTT solar charge controller e Tracer series
Schneider electric MPPT 60 150 solar charge controller
back up generator not included

if I need to add other info please let me know

solarfarmkits.com.au/about/solar-farm-kits-australia‎
these kits seem fairly unique as all is pre assembled and tested in factory them brought out on site but im a stone mason and get mixed up with aaa and aa batteries so im way out of my league here
asked for best price but that's it any help in regards to these matters will be appreciated
and what ever system I choose I will be more than happy to offer access to others for inspection or answer questions as best so others may refrence.
this is cooking my hardend mason brain
thanks for taking time to read sincerely S&J.m
keystone
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: 40k for off grid am i crazy

Postby Tracker » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:13 pm

Positronic solar ..... :D :D
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby gpx » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:05 am

Hi Keystone

I hope I can help a bit here. Firstly, I have tried to build a few stone walls and believe me that was much harder than wiring together a few panels and batteries!

You may have done this but maybe re-check how much power you expect to use. You have described a fairly big system. Maybe a smaller one with a backup generator might be more cost effective.

Tragically, in my view, there is no substitute for doing your own research. All solar systems need some kind of maintenance and the more you know the more likely you will be able to fix it when it breaks.

I have no experience with that company but I am worried their address is in Surfers Paradise? Last time I was there there were not many farms about. Plenty of bulldust though.

There are a lot of these 'solar companies' springing up now. Some are quite new and maybe capitalising on demand. Keep shopping around.
gpx
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby bpratt » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:50 am

gpx wrote:I have no experience with that company but I am worried their address is in Surfers Paradise? Last time I was there there were not many farms about. Plenty of bulldust though.

Yes, you've got to keep an eye out for the sharks down there, and that's before you even get to the beach! :)
Kaco 6600
26 x Trina Honey 250w panels. (wish I could work out how to upload to pvoutput.org)

New house build :-
http://bandlnewhomebuild.blogspot.com

My weather station :-
http://jimboombaweather.com
bpratt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby keystone » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi to all
big thanks for your input its been great
finally seem to be getting somwhere with off grid energy Australia filled out apliance watt list
awaiting response seems like larger company spoke to rep says same 40 -50 k+ wow....
might have to start advertising my kidneys for sale :)
also suggested ac coupling vs dc coupling dc being cheaper but they can do as well.From my research and short understanding ac coupling makes more sense or seems more practical for battery longlivity.
will forward feed back
Not really keen on sharks either such a pity they have adapted to land :lol:

poitronic solar ? "more input" as quoted by number 5 ,film short circuit
keystone
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Cherokee Solar » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:18 pm

Did you get a quote from Energy Matters? They do a lot of off grid systems.

keystone wrote:32 agm batteries 410ah

32 batteries is an unusual number. Did they provide the system voltage? 250w panels tend to indicate a rather high system voltage.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't use agm batteries in an off grid system.

If you want maintenance free batteries (but certainly not free from daily monitoring) I'd recommend either gel lead acid batteries or better still lithium batteries.

I use gel batteries and am pretty happy with them and quite a few people at this forum here considerable experience with lithium batteries.

My gut feel is that agm batteries won't work - or last as long - in the real world as well as gels or lithiums.

If you want to save some cash and still get good performance with huge capacity, flooded lead acid batteries would be the way to go.
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby keystone » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:29 am

Good day to all
always lovely day after some fresh rain in Vic

Have received a quote from LJWsolar based in NSW
1600ahs @ 48 volts
48 x 800 ah batteries
selectronic inverter charger with dc coupling and 2 x regulators
4kw =16 kwh per day

having bit of grief adding photos :? any help would be awesome
no reply yet from Off Grid Energy Australia
Have been explained ac vs dc coupling think ac coupling is a brilliant idea but who knows for sure DC seems like proven technology

I am starting to wonder if there is a solar association or governing body to keep track of rifraf and advise buyers on company profiles and minimal requirements that have to be met by sellers or yes and no's because so much variation across board
I truly believe people like myself would happily pay for a service where expert advice or company recommendations with some sort of guarantees is received from a private independent body
Just a idea for you electrical gurus in here
I mean 40 + 50k is fair cash and no talk of scheduled minimum service or capped service fees or guaranteed product performance, good cash flow business wow
Thanks so much for your support and guidance
Sincerely keystone & family
thanks to all
when all done and dusted love to have few froth tops or vino's with anyone willing to stop buy
keystone
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:07 am

keystone wrote:having bit of grief adding photos :? any help would be awesome

Click on REPLY

Click on UPLOAD ATTACHMENT

Click on BROWSE to find the photo

Click on ADD THE FILE

Click on PLACE INLINE

Click on SUBMIT

all done.... so long as you have made the photo a sensible size (under 100kB)
------------

Have you looked here: http://www.energymatters.com.au/special ... remote.php ?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Cherokee Solar » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:34 am

Hi keystone,

As a suggestion.

As you are in Victoria, you'll probably find that around the shortest day of the year (the 21st June) for a couple of weeks either side of that day, you will get on average only 1.5 to 2.0 hours of usuable sun per day. This means that a 4kW PV array will only generate on average a reliable 8kWh of energy per day. I say on average as some days it will be better, whilst other days it will be worse.

You may have to consider getting a generator. 24V systems are far easier and cheaper to find a generator for.

If you don't need a generator then by all means go for a 48V system, but if you are at all unsure about this issue then go 24V.

As another suggestion. Get a quote from a local supplier and stop mucking around. If the supplier is interstate and can't get the quote right, then how do you think they'll go with after sales service?

Remember too that you are on an Energy Matters forum and get a quote from them as they actually are in Victoria and do provide off grid sales and service.

I have no relationship with Energy Matters but have bought plenty stuff off them over the years and have never been let down.
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby keystone » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:46 am

kids at farm.jpg
kids at farm.jpg (45.03 KiB) Viewed 5021 times

happy snap of kids at farm house , solar system location roof or ground mount would be on hill seen behind daughters head .Near lone tree location to left of her head
Thanks buddy your a star :D
keystone
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Next

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics