Please recommend a good BMS for LifePO4 batteries

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: Please recommend a good BMS for LifePO4 batteries

Postby gpx » Fri May 30, 2014 9:18 am

Thats the thing with solar systems; one size and type does not fit all. When there is no sun $50k worth of solar panels are next to useless but maybe thats when you need the power.
gpx
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby offgridQLD » Fri May 30, 2014 9:55 am

There is always some sun. I guess it depends on your lication . Take today for example it's overcast and a bad for PV . lookingnat the meter I! Getting just 250w from 4000w of PV at 10am only 0.2kwh produced till now but the past week has been mid to high 20s bright and sunny so my battery's are at 95%SOC and I'm sure the sun will pop out today or tomorrow.

Though some locations can have weeks of miserable weather

I guess my thinking is that 10k+ could buy you 8000w of PV installed and with lithium battery's that can handle a burst of charge well . just short periods of sun between cloud cover can pump some substantual kWh back into a bank and take advantage of bursts of sun.

That said thinking back on the weeks of Grey sky and muted light of a Melbourne winter is a different story .

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby tom rickard » Fri May 30, 2014 6:12 pm

I see your point Kurt, but I already had a generator before I went off-grid, and in any case would have wanted to buy one as I don't always use it in the vicinity of my house..

I agree that with the Lithium's if you drastically oversize your PV then you will not need much sun.
tom rickard
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics