VAWT

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

VAWT

Postby dgalea » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:01 pm

Where can i purchase a vertical Axis Wind Turbine to connect to my house in Tarneit Australia?

And before you say that they are no good, my local council wind measurements show high wind speeds on average under 10m. Enough to make this idea viable (and cost effective against PV only)

David
dgalea
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: VAWT

Postby Sandivee » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:58 pm

Not sure about any Aussie suppliers - they are kind of dead here.
Australian LED Lighting Solutions
http://www.LightingMatters.com.au
Sandivee
Energy Matters Team
Energy Matters Team

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:07 pm

Commercial VAWTs are a bit scarce, and you need to keep in mind they are less efficient that HAWTs.
I've started building one as an experiment, but will probably end up using it to pump water up the hill for hydro power. I think their higher torque and lower RPM than HAWTs are better suited to pumping than power generation. Are you in a rural area? You really do need a good smooth flow of air to get much power from any wind turbine, turbulent air means greater stress on the turbine, and much less power output from any turbine, vertical or horizontal. This generally means mounting them well above any neaby obstructions such as buildings and trees. You need to be aware of any local government rules regarding their installation too, tower height, noise, and appearance are things they consider.

Gordon
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby dgalea » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:59 am

[Moderator - removed quoting of entire previous posting]

Thanks Gordon,

My local Council stipulates two restrictions: 1) The height must be no higher than the roofline and 2) Noise must be kept down to a minimum.

I have an average speed of wind at 26kph over 12 months at 5m high. I know that people say they are not as efficient , but consider this.

Would you like one large 1MW HAWT in an open field generating the LOCAL residential power, or 500,000 residents with 2kW VAWTs on each roof. If see equal efficiencies as well as personal ownership and an incentive to be GREEN in your own home for financial benefit.

David
Last edited by Gordon-Loomberah on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed excessive quoting
dgalea
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:28 pm

Thats an amazingly high average (24hr?) wind speed, must make it unpleasant to be outside quite often! It would be ideal for WTGs though. I think a council restriction of no higher than your roofline basically rules it out though, the air is too turbulent near the ground in built up areas to get decent power, even with a VAWT.

I've been in houses where people have made the mistake of mounting a WTG on their roof. The whole house resonates, I dont recommed it!

Gordon
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: VAWT | I can supply VAWT in AUS

Postby evelectric » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:32 am

:D There is a VAWT turbine available in Australia, its made by NKC Japan, has been used and tested, can withstand 65m/s winds and comes in 1kw and 5kw versions. It is on-grid and does not require batteries, I am currently working out pricing, but in the meantime you can have a look at them by going to http://www.evelectric.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=59

I also noticed that there were no VAWT turbines available in Australia so I sourced this product and have entered into agreement with NKC and have the Australian distributorship rights, and for those who are going to ask, they have turnovers in excess of 900Million dollars and have branches in most states and countries and back up the products they design and sell, offices in India, America, Japan,UK,Australia,Malaysia,China,etc...

I also have a Canadian VAWT that is 3KW and 10KW,these have been installed in Canada,US and Ireland sites, these are not yet on my website as I have been arranging products and agreements.

I am happy to provide information if contacted and will be at the all-energy exhibition on the 7th Oct in Melbourne and the Elmore Field day on the 8th Oct 2009 should you happen to be at these venues.

Also for those in Melbourne there are 4 x 20KW Hush turbines lying on the ground ready to be mounted at Willow in Tullamarine, these are a very radical Horizontal turbine design and look very impresive, the centre turbines are 5.5metres in width, its worth the drive if you are interested in Wind Generation, although I think these might be too large for residentual use. I have put pictures of these turbines in my picture gallery under wind turbines if you cant get to the site and see them for yourself.

Michael :mrgreen:
evelectric
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Rabti05 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:13 am

Dgalea I would be very interested how you went. I live in Hoppers and I think we do get enough wind.
Regards

rabti05
Rabti05
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:33 am

I suspect that we wont hear too much positive about a vawt..
I know a wind turbine designer and he has nothing good to say about vertical... yes, they work... :?
But for cross-sectional area, HAWT leaves them for dead..

PS... and that supppliers site seems to be down.... Ummm... I wonder if that says it all... :oops:
Last edited by Tracker on Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:39 am

Talk about raising a topic from the grave... last post almost 5 years ago!

I'd like to hear about an actual VAWT that is producing enough output to be viable... I hear lots of talk about how good they are, especially from the people marketing them, but results down the track from end users are a bit scarce. No doubt a good one will produce something, albeit less than a HAWT would, but will it ever pay for itself?
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: VAWT | I can supply VAWT in AUS

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:18 am

evelectric wrote::D There is a VAWT turbine available in Australia...you can have a look at them by going to http://www.evelectric.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=59

It would seem it is no longer available, website not found.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Next

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics