my first power bill after solar (call the paramedics)

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: my first power bill after solar (call the paramedics)

Postby Russell Moore » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:12 am

I checked the energy rating on the net (I just typed in energy rating GR L247STB, got to love the net!), seems it is 4 stars (old) and uses 730kWh a year, ie 2kWh a day.
Russell Moore
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby kaddy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:06 pm

Thank you very much. I tried yesterday and didnt get anywhere. My search was probably too technical.

I dont suppose that it is that bad considering the size of it.

Once again thanks :D
kaddy
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Andrew_electrix » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:43 pm

We brought a fisher & pakyel E522 (522 litre) upside down fridge / freezer it uses about 1.4 kwh per day, on a really hot day it uses maybe 1.8kwh.
The energy star rating on it put the yearly consumption at almost 2kwh's a day which it seems is abit over stated.
Really nice fridge too, the drawers slide out on runners, keep the food significantly fresher.
But that was a big improvement over the separate fridge and freezer that combinded was using about 3.8kwh's per day...

Regards

Andrew
Andrew_electrix
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby kaddy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:08 am

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your input

Our big side by side (690 litres) is using around 2 kwh per day and have double checked the old 20+ year old kelvinator and it is actually using 1.8 kwh per day. I was thinking that it was the culprit and was getting ready to oust it, but not so. I think it uses so little because it is a manual defrost.

The culprit in my case appears to be the ducted air. To use a whopping $1.35 per hour soon adds up especially after the long cold winter we had.

Looking at alternative forms of heating now. Was going to go for a slow combustion wood but have been informed that council will not longer allow those here.

Dont know what a slow combusion look gas heater would use, although they are very expensive to purchase.

Looks like overcoats, beanies and socks is what we have to look forward to next winter. What form of heating is everyone else using to keep the costs down. Also looks like we will be in for a very hot summer.

Will just have to keep going to the club to stay cool in their aircon. HO HO :D
kaddy
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:19 am

There is always solar hydronic heating- after the initial set-up, the only running cost is electricity for a small circulation pump, ~2c/hr if you dont need any additional energy input from gas or electricity. I have a set up a 78 evacuated tube array and storage system, plumbing etc myself, and it provides quite a bit of our heating.

You can read more about how it works here:
http://www.energymatters.com.au/renewab ... hydronics/
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Previous

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics