Questions from a newbie

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: Questions from a newbie

Postby Dono2012 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:00 pm

Hi Gordon...here's some pics of our cottage and our array setup.
Attachments
Adjustable String1a.jpg
2 x panels in a 3 position adjustable frame. This is the winter position.
Adjustable String1a.jpg (60.24 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
001a.jpg
All 12 panels in 6 adjustable frames. In the Autumn/Spring position.
001a.jpg (62.81 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
002a.jpg
Still finishing the painting. The area to the right is a 6mx6m screened north facing room.
002a.jpg (62.93 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
12 x 24V x 190W Daqo Mono Panels in 6 strings
Outback FM80 Regulator with RTS
Latronics 24V 3KW Inverter
8 x 6V 600AH Rolls Flooded Batteries (1200AH)
Dono2012
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:11 pm

What is the angle in the winter position?

What time of the day are you generally reaching Float when it's reasonably sunny?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Dono2012 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:24 pm

If i recall correctly the winter position is about 55 degrees...maybe it could have been a little more but it works well. When we have sunny weather we can get to float before noon...but we are running a big 2 door fridge/freezer and a chest freezer.
Last edited by Dono2012 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 x 24V x 190W Daqo Mono Panels in 6 strings
Outback FM80 Regulator with RTS
Latronics 24V 3KW Inverter
8 x 6V 600AH Rolls Flooded Batteries (1200AH)
Dono2012
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:42 pm

Another consideration is keeping the panels on the roof in storm winds- it has to be traded off against pointing exactly at the Sun, so 55deg is fine ;)

I've come to realise the best winter angle for panels when there is a fair bit of cloud around is 10 or 15 degrees above the sun, as there can be a lot of indirect radiation reflected and scattered from clouds in that part of the sky.
For that reason I don't adjust my big tracker to +23 degrees for winter, but leave it around +10 or +15 declination (its not critical), so it will always be pointing above the sun.
In overcast weather, the best angle for your panels is often straight up- modified a bit to account for any large nearby sky obstructions, ie position the panel to "see" as much of the cloud as possible, by pointing the panel at the centre of the viewable sky.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jimbo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:24 am

In overcast weather, the best angle for your panels is often straight up-

That's an interesting find. What kind of difference does it make for you?
jimbo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:32 pm

How long is your piece of string? ;) The difference it makes varies depending on a number of things, including how thick the cloud is, but changing from pointing at the sun to overhead might give twice as much output in fairly heavy winter overcast... but that might mean I'm getting 200W instead of 100W from 2kW of PV. Still, over a day when you want all you can get, it is worth my while moving the panels. That's easy for me with a RA motor drive and easily adjustable declination angle, but not so easy for panels fixed to a roof!
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Cherokee Solar » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi,

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:changing from pointing at the sun to overhead might give twice as much output in fairly heavy winter overcast...

That is interesting to know. I setup the free standing solar panel mounts so that the angle can be adjusted between summer and winter. The winter setting is - by sheer fluke - a bit above the sun's angle. Great observation!

I'm considering removing two panels from the roof and mounting them next to these two free standing panels, so the above is interesting to know. The mounts themselves were dirt cheap to make from recycled steel.

Stumpy wonders whether he can eat the new solar panel mount.JPG
Stumpy wonders whether he can eat the new solar panel mount.JPG (96.48 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics