Questions from a newbie

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Re: Questions from a newbie

Postby Dono2012 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi Gordon...thanks for checking on us...we're fine...the coona fires were about 60kms from us...although we did have a few local ones that I helped put out.
We have been busy putting up the house frame and I have attached a photo.
Our system...albeit in and on the little shed...has performed without fail to date and throughout a scorcher of a summer.
Our house frame is starting to block the sun to the panels on the shed and after the roof goes on this week I will start mounting the panels on the roof.
I would like to wire the array of 6 strings of 2 panels per string to a combiner box and I will use the 6 10A fuses that I already have at that box and then run a heavy pos and neg about 9 metres to the regulator and then another 3 metres to the battery bank.
I have 2x24V(36V) 5A panels in series in each string and then those 6 strings in parallel so I figure about 30Amps?
Can you suggest a size for this cable?
Hope all's well with you and yours.
Cheers
Dono
Attachments
033b.jpg
033b.jpg (69.33 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
12 x 24V x 190W Daqo Mono Panels in 6 strings
Outback FM80 Regulator with RTS
Latronics 24V 3KW Inverter
8 x 6V 600AH Rolls Flooded Batteries (1200AH)
Dono2012
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Looking good there Dono, nice and green like it was here a month or so ago, but it's all brown again now.

I'd use 16mm^2 cable, which is a bit bigger than absolutely necessary, but it saves pulling in more cable if... I mean when ;), you decide to add more panels. If you are absolutely certain you will never need more panels, then use 10mm^2.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Dono2012 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:14 pm

thanks gordon...i cant fhind 16mm2 cable on line....i found 25mm2 for $7.20/m so i think i'll get it unless someone knows where i can get 16mm2 cheaper.
cheers
dono
Dono2012
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Dono2012 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:31 am

Greetings!

So now we are up to Water.

We installed a couple of 23,000L tanks and I am looking at the best way to pump water at the house.

A friend suggested this 24VDC pump.

http://www.escapinoutdoors.com.au/index ... ucts_id=13

Anyone know of any others that I could compare it to and is 24V the best way to go?

We have pressurised clean bore water to our laundry and toilets so this pump would only need to pump tank water to the kitchen, bathroom and LPG HWS.

Cheers

Dono
Dono2012
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 am

24V will be more efficient, but that pump, which looks quite like a copy of a Johnson pump, is no doubt only rated for intermittent use, so you wont want to use it for extended periods, but kitchen, washing machine etc, use should be ok.
It might make your plumbing buzz a bit when it is running.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Cherokee Solar » Wed May 01, 2013 10:10 am

Hi Dono,

The 23,000 litre tanks are a good size for a site as they are easily handled. Beyond this size (in plastic) they can get a bit unwieldy...

I'd go for a 240v normal household pump with a small pressure tank and just run the 240v cable out to the pump and tanks, plus it will give you an outdoor 240v power point (always handy).

You've got to put a trench out to the tanks for a water mains anyway. The reason I reckon 240v is because the current will be lower than a 24v pump which will save money on the cables. With a 24v pump the cables from the batteries to the pump will have more copper. Also electricians oversize underground electrical cables because they can't shed heat to the atmosphere (or so I was told).
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed May 01, 2013 10:47 am

Remember though, that the pump doesnt have to be anywhere near the tank, just connected to it via a pipe!
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Cherokee Solar » Wed May 01, 2013 11:18 am

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:that the pump doesnt have to be anywhere near the tank, just connected to it via a pipe!

Too true, as long as the pump can cope with the head or it is on the same contour level at a distance. Not so easily done on the side of a hill I can tell you! ;)

I've got one tank for the chooks that has a 1" outlet and pipe connected to a tap and it gets awesome pressure at the tap just using gravity.

The new water tanks are now in and I'm thinking about getting the wind turbine installed. April was dry which is unusual, but not unexpected.

The other thing that I've had to work on here with water is ensuring that I can pump water right around the various water tanks. This proved to be quite valuable during the past hot dry summer.
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Dono2012 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:07 am

Hello everyone...it's been quite a while...a year or so since I was here...we hope everyone is well...our building project has been exhausting and I am currently recovering from shoulder surgery.
The last topic was water pumps so I am attaching some photos of our poly tanks and 24VDC pump and 50L pressure tank that works a treat and the pressure at the kitchen and bathroom is fantastic. Cheers!
Attachments
006b.jpg
006b.jpg (76.07 KiB) Viewed 4089 times
005b.jpg
005b.jpg (79.75 KiB) Viewed 4089 times
004b.jpg
004b.jpg (74.58 KiB) Viewed 4089 times
Dono2012
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:30 am

Good to see things coming along :) Not being able to use a shoulder would slow building work down a bit, I hope it is on the improve.

How is the solar system going?
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics