new meter landis + gyr 350 bi-directional?

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

new meter landis + gyr 350 bi-directional?

Postby johnnydelva » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:42 pm

hi all,

i'm building a new house and just had my meter installed by sp ausnet, its the landis + gyr 350, i've searched the net for more info but the offical landis website shows a different picture to the one i have had installed. anyway so once the house is finished i want to have a pv system installed. i have been getting various responses, but is this meter bi-directional or in other words PV system friendly? one person told me all they would to do is reprogramme it... anyway i'd love your opinions... thanks.

John
johnnydelva
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: new meter landis + gyr 350 bi-directional?

Postby karlajensen » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:37 pm

unfortunately SPAusnet are not so smart and in fact they will send someone out to "re-program" it.

That will involve disconnecting the meter you have and installing another one, that has the correct software.

Oh and that will cost you a couple of hundred bucks as they are dumb-asses.

Unfortunately been there and done that...
8E + 8W + 8Nth Garage CMS2000-1 with ~4500W in 3 strings of 8.
Fronius Galvo 3.0 inverter with ~6.6kW panels
12x ZNShine + 12x 180W Solarfuns both NW + ZNShine 12x190 facing SE.
Edwards Solar Hot water

Luck Favours the well prepared.
karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Sonnig » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:56 am

Hi jonnydelva,

I’ve had a different experience with my Landis + Gyr E350. It is a Type 1200 that looks like this.

Landis + Gyr Model E350 Type U1200.JPG

Note: Since this photo was taken I have had an external antenna installed (apparently they ran out of these back in Jan)

The meter was installed in Jan 2011 as part of the Victorian smart meter rollout. Nearly 2 months ago it was reprogrammed (not replaced) after I had solar installed and the required inspection done and forms submitted.

It was not necessary for my meter to be replaced although I believe earlier versions of SP AusNet’s smart meters were not bi-directional and had to be replaced if solar was installed.

My first billing cycle has not completed but I’ve been told the fee will be <$20 for reprogramming. I believe this would have been done at no cost if my area had the antenna available to do this remotely.

My meter is a Code 410 and I have another brochure for an SP AusNet Code 349 meter that shows register 13 “Total generation kWhrs (export)” is also available.

I’ve previously posted information about my meter: post20217.html#p20217
Sonnig
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Location: Eastern suburbs, Melbourne / SP AusNet / Diamond Energy

Postby Sonnig » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:10 am

I just found the SP AusNet page again where I originally found those brochures: (look in the “How do I read the meter?” section)

http://www.sp-ausnet.com.au/?id=2301328 ... 5C00802142

I’d be interested to know whether you have a Code 410, 349 or something else and whether the meter needed to be replaced.
Sonnig
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Location: Eastern suburbs, Melbourne / SP AusNet / Diamond Energy

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics