Damaged Panel question

New to renewable energy? Have questions? Here's a great place to ask them and view information about wind and solar power basics.

Damaged Panel question

Postby Rollers123 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:26 pm

I have a flexible solar panel that has been damaged. Is there any risk of short circuit if the blue material has a white mark where the cease damage occurred.
Rollers123
Energy Matters Team
Energy Matters Team

Re: Damaged Panel question

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:30 pm

I have some old Canon panels purchased about 15 years ago which sustained damage that sounds similar to yours when hit by something in a storm quite a few years ago. They are quite flexible considering they are in frames, but not flexible panels as such. The area of damage seems to have spread a little, but I didnt notice any reduction in output up until I took them out of use (replaced by more efficient larger 24V panels).

Depending on where and how large the damage it, its main effect would probably be limted to taking out a cell or 2. Short circuiting a single cell would usually just mean a slightly reduced panel voltage. Shading a single cell would cause a greater reduction in output.

Gordon
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Return to Q&A - wind and solar power basics