Page 1 of 1

Bought a OWL+USB(CM160), want a better Way to Export to CSV?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:26 pm
by BundyzBitz
After buying OWL's New energy monitor, the CM-160 I was discusted at the software that comes with the unit,
The worst part is that all data exporting has to be done by hand, so after poking around the backend of the software I wrote a little diddy that Exports all data from the screens memory, then continues to add data every 60 Seconds.
At the moment it is at Version 1.0.0.0 and represents a days work, so theres a couple of bugs atm

Source code is available for those that can - written in VB 5
Com info on the web page

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hawkowl/

http://hawkowl.sourceforge.net/

Re: Bought a OWL+USB(CM160), want a better Way to Export to CSV?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:44 pm
by Bthree
Hi Bundy,

I am also using the OWL for monitoring my home power using two CM119's and a CM 112 for the sensor/transmitters and a CM120 USB device as the receiver with is connected to a WindowsHomeServer to do the logging as it runs 24/7.
Is the data from a CM160 USB out different to the CM120 ?

Standard OWL software is used which comes in two parts, the data gatherer which creates an SQLlite database, logging all transmissions from the transmitter devices (up to ten). This program runs as a service and runs at WHS startup being completely transparent.
Had a little trouble getting the usb receiver part to operate reliably but after rearranging/seperating the RF module from the USB module and modifying the antenna, all is good.

The display module doing the graphing is very poor although usable lacking mainly in a realtime graph that runs for more than two minutes, hours would be nicer !

But you probably know all this, my problem is I know sod all about SQLlite programming. The be.db file produced at logging time is quite complete and could be very useful if a clever graphing program were to be available.

bye for now.

Re: Bought a OWL+USB(CM160), want a better Way to Export to CSV?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:20 pm
by BundyzBitz
Bthree wrote:Hi Bundy,

I am also using the OWL for monitoring my home power using two CM119's and a CM 112 for the sensor/transmitters and a CM120 USB device as the receiver with is connected to a WindowsHomeServer to do the logging as it runs 24/7.
Is the data from a CM160 USB out different to the CM120 ?

Not sure about the differences, cause I've only had the 160, but the s/w side goes like this:
1)You can export 60 sec data into a CSV file, but it has to be done manualy (open the prog, wait 4 conect, click export ......)), this is the same for the SQLite dB
2)You can export CVS data in 6 Second increments, BUT (& its a big but), you only get 2 minute blocks & its manual, so you have to click 2 export within 2 min, this one's not available in the SQLite dB.

Bthree wrote:Standard OWL software is used which comes in two parts, the data gatherer which creates an SQLlite database, logging all transmissions from the transmitter devices (up to ten). This program runs as a service and runs at WHS startup being completely transparent.
Had a little trouble getting the usb receiver part to operate reliably but after rearranging/seperating the RF module from the USB module and modifying the antenna, all is good.


The only option for Live data is to have the unit pluged in and the software backend runing, but then its stuck in the SQLite file and only 60 second increments (I'm greedy and want the 6 second data)
so for live data export, I've found myself somewhat up the creek!!!

Bthree wrote:The display module doing the graphing is very poor although usable lacking mainly in a realtime graph that runs for more than two minutes, hours would be nicer !

Yes, there's a LOT of room for improvement in the front end of the s/w. A 6/60Sec option on the backend would be brilliant

Bthree wrote:But you probably know all this, my problem is I know sod all about SQLlite programming. The be.db file produced at logging time is quite complete and could be very useful if a clever graphing program were to be available.

bye for now.

Thought about going down this road, and building a betta front end, but I'm put off by the 60 sec data(& I know stuffall about most dB's), when I know there's 6 sec data in there
I tried electricOWL, but couldn't get the server to connect ( seems to be an issue with the 160's, still waiting 4 the author of electricOWL to get back to me)
So my long term goal (till something betta comes along) is to write a 6Sec backend (CSV), then a better frontend.
Hopefully I'l have the 6 Sec data in my prog this weekend (codeing Gods permitting), then tidy it up!

Cheers 4 now
Bundy

Re: Bought a OWL+USB(CM160), want a better Way to Export to CSV?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:45 pm
by Bthree
BundyzBitz wrote:Thought about going down this road, and building a betta front end, but I'm put off by the 60 sec data(& I know stuffall about most dB's), when I know there's 6 sec data in there
I tried electricOWL, but couldn't get the server to connect ( seems to be an issue with the 160's, still waiting 4 the author of electricOWL to get back to me)


I find 1 min logging is OK as a history graph but the 6sec live graph would be nice.

Electric OWL was a bit clunky for me although it worked when the current version of the OWL software arrived which actually is better if no perfect

The programmers for OWL software are not responsive although you may see an update around the middle of the year, put in a couple of requests, you may get lucky !

Re: Bought a OWL+USB(CM160), want a better Way to Export to CSV?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:39 am
by BundyzBitz
Hey everyone,

Got another update (V1.2) Fixed some connection issues, The Com Port is now selectable.
There is also a Graphical Viewer
For now you have to set the Com Port then the 'Open Comm' button, I'll 'Automate' this soon to allow for unattended startup.

Updates and Downloads Here ==> http://hawkowl.sourceforge.net/

Image
The first part of the graph above is running independant of the PC, the middle is pluged into the PC.

:Bthree , the software I got with the 160 didn't let me select a date range to view at first but after 2 weeks of fiddling it now works properly, mostly I like having an up-to-date CSV output automaticaly.
I also since noticed that when the cm-160is unpluged from the PC, data is logged eraticly (sometimes every 2-3 min others up to 30 min apart.
I'm being fussy I know, but I don't like the smoothed out graphs either.


Cheers
Leith