TRANSPARENCY NSW BILLING

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

TRANSPARENCY NSW BILLING

Postby GarnZ » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:18 am

Over the last year I have had fitted, two new meters (one "Schedule 25” meter) around February, this was replaced, around July, to a new "Type 4" meter. This was fitted when I changed from my solar from "GROSS" to “NET”.
I did notice my electricity bill rose from $237 to a massive $ 483 over a the last 3 month period ending, 3 October.

Now I understand that electricity has risen considerably. My query is what happened to TRANSPARENCY regarding the break-down of the bill and who can verify my usage.
I rang my supplier, Energy Australia and was told that the "Type 4” meter they or Ausgrid fitted on my request for having a “NET" Solar schedule, have no way of rationalising the meter reading to my bill.

I have no way of knowing (proving) the following,
What is the accurate division of Off-peak, Peak, Shoulder, and other (dedicated circuits etc.) usage.
My “Type 4" meter as a monitor or useful readout is useless.
Also, has my "net" solar system been working? The accounting system as it stands, is unacceptable.
Somehow, I need some method to verify my Off-peak, Peak etc and solar usage status.
RegardZ
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
Meter change over and "Net'" conversion 6th July 2017.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: TRANSPARENCY NSW BILLING

Postby melmik » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 am

So what does your actual bill say? Is there x kW @ x cents, and another reading for exported solar @ x cents?

What is the meter name and number? The net meter might just be a flat rate accumulation type or it could be an interval meter set for flate rate. If you are on a flat rate there are no Time Of Use peak/shoulder/off-peak rates. If you want that breakdown you need to request a change of tariff to TOU. TOU works better for some than others - depends heavily on your useage patterns.
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GarnZ » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:19 am

Thanks for reply.
The meter is ...... IntelliHUB U40005953 Class 1, Landis + Gyr E360 with transmitter attachment on the side of switch-box.
My bill clearly sets out the breakdown of TOU~
My first bill, after changing over to "Net" from Gross with EA. (NET installed 6th July)
This bill covers from 06 July to o3 Oct 2017.

Home Peak ($0.538/ kWh) ........................................392 kWh
Home shoulder ($0.244/kWh)..................................... 476 kWh
Home OFF peak ($0.149/kWh).................................... 160 kwh
Home dedicated circuit (0.1118 kWh) Off-peak Hot water .. 565 kWh
Home supply charge (90 days) (98c/day)
Home interval metering (90 days) (29c/day

Solar Buy back (12.5c /kWh) ......... $38.95 Cr
NSW Gov household rebate (90 days) (64.38c /day).......$57.65 Cr (Pension?)
Current Charge.............................$436.95
Total inc GST............................................$483.90

My query is how do I reconcile these readings to my meter or is it all just "trust"
I was told via telephone, the above meter is a Type 4 meter and it can't be reconciled!

RegardZ
Sydney ~ North facing Solar 2Kw system,12 x Suntelligence - 175watt Mono panels (2 strings of 6 panels). Orion SPG-360-2KO inverter, Connected to grid - 2/06/2010.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby melmik » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:41 am

Hi Garnz, you might be able to do some basic reconciliation, at least enough to reassure yourself your billing is close to accurate.

http://aussiehomeenergy.blogspot.com.au ... n.html?m=1

This is a link to your meter info, but it doesnt include what registers show shoulder (maybe 05) or OPHW. Note that your retailer might use different numbers but the layout should be similar. The Totals on the meter should match the sum of the subtotals, so peak plus offpeak export should match total export. Thats a check of what meter registers go to what import or export totals.

The simplest way to keep a basic check is to keep a spreadsheet. Its a good time to start one on your first bill with a new meter. On the spreadsheet (or bit of paper) have a column for what your inverter reads. Check it weekly and note it down.

Add more column for info from each bill, so columns for peak, off peak, shoulder and OPHW, plus another for your bills solar buyback. These columns record the kW totals from each bill.

When you get each bill, add and subtotal each column, then go and check if those numbers are close (should be slightly lower) than what the corresponding register shows on the meter. Ie match spreadsheet peak with meter peak.

Your solar buyback is net, so the bill will show less than your inverter readings, but it gives you an indication of how much self use of solar you are getting, ie inveter total minus bill solar export equals home solar use. Note that you will have to pick a start total for your inverter reading since it has been operating longer than your net meter and wasnt zeroed on meter install.

Basically what you are doing is building a rough accumulation spreadsheet to match your meter, as each bill only shows periodal data rather than accumulated. Sorry if this is a bit rough and basic, but it gives you peace of mind that they are getting it right. I have very different meters (three!) but the process is the same and works for me. You should push your retailer for which registers they use for what. They'll say they dont know, but push them, or go directly to their metering company. ( that worked best for me). Also note some companies invert import and export, depending on their viewpoint so export on their meter might mean import on your bill. Bloody confusing.

The other thing to do is regularly download or request your billing data and look for irregularities, big or small numbers, gaps etc that might indicate a problem or error.
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby melmik » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:51 am

On a general note to the energy company cretins that run billing systems, perhaps consider customers and put accumulated meter totals on each bill so we can crosscheck. A basic courtesy. They have the capability, but some simply don't care. Imagine giving the tax office a group certificate without accumulated salary or tax totals.
melmik
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GarnZ » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks Milmik.
I'll start the Spread-sheet tomorrow.
EM will be given me a 20% discount for paying my bill on time, in future. So, inflate the bill by 50% and then give 20% back.
Even if they would give me a histogram of daily breakdown of TOU along with daily solar use and daily solar to grid, it would be something!
RegardZ
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby GarnZ » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:54 pm

Here is something new...
Unlike Energy Australia, AGL give a "base" reading of the meter in all categories Peak, Shoulder and Off-peak etc,hence, one can directly read/ check their meter against bill. i.e. Base reading 580 .. meter reading 810kWh, Usage= 230kWh.

RegardZ.
GarnZ
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives