Col Pot's Killing Fields

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

Re: Col Pot's Killing Fields

Postby rsuth789 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:26 pm

Lets see - Barnett blew $330 million dollars trying to refurbish the 50 year old Muja power station, and now he wants to top up the budget by changing the tariff that he guaranteed for 10 years.

If Barnett gets away with re-negging on these written contracts now, whats to stop him changing the rate to 10c next year? or even 5c? - perhaps he will change it so we have to pay him in the future??

There is only one thing our sleazy politicians understand, and that is the ballot box!

With the Federal election now only 3 weeks away, its time to start letting the Liberal candidates know what you think of Barnett's betrayal. Barnett has shafted 75 000 housholds- maybe 200 000 voters.

Perhaps copy the petition from the "Solarcitizens" site, add some information about putting your areas Liberal candidate LAST on the voting card and letterbox drop them around your area.

Federal or State - our pollies are all the same - in marginal seats, a letterbox campaign might be quite effective in getting the Liberal candidates having a chat to Barnett!

option 2 - Class Action!
rsuth789
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Privatteer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Unfortunately a class action is probably not going to work despite the false advertising. The current version of the rebs contact gives them an escape clause so unless someone can find an earlier version without it there is not a lot that can be done on that side.

The average Joe seems to think we were all rich and scamming the system and Barnett is obviously willing to lose our votes. Apparently their gold plated toilets are more important.
Stage 1:
Fronius Primo 5 + 6.6kW Canadian Solar
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Quokka2 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:39 pm

rsuth789 wrote:There is only one thing our sleazy politicians understand, and that is the ballot box!

This is unfortunately true. Thursday's budget announcement represents a mind-boggling betrayal of public trust and that the attempt to justify it on legal grounds is an act of utter desperation.

If the Government was re-elected on the basis of promises it couldn't keep without breaking those it had already made, then it doesn't deserve to be in Government. This is precisely the situation the Australian Electorate has been in federally for the last three years; Barnett has joined the same club as Gillard and deserves the same fate. Perhaps he remembers that a measure of his success at the State Election was attributed by many (including Stephen Smith on Election night) to Gillard; in a way he is only returning the favour to the ALP.

Let's not be too hasty in putting all our pollies out with the rubbish, though. A number of State Liberals apparently have some scruples; Peter Abetz and his colleagues in this issue should be encouraged in their efforts to have this decision overturned.
Quokka2
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby karlajensen » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:14 pm

My email to the pollies...

Gentlemen

I appreciate the reason for the decision to roll back the FIT in WA due to poor economic circumstances the WA government has found itself in.

This financial predicament is significantly different to that of WA households who took out finance to fund their systems on the grounds of a reasonable payback period which was assured by the FIT scheme set up to drive jobs AND renewables.

We chose to install a system as it was roughly the same time as the global financial crisis and we did our bit to help by borrowing money to help stimulate the economy and do our part for Australia.

Simple fact is this provided jobs for
PV companies
Wharfies
trucking
installers
electricians
financiers
western-power workers
Synergy staff

Are you going to hit schools built as part of "nationbuilding" also, take back their schools or make them pay?
How about applying tolls to the recently completed Great Eastern Highway?

The government ran the country into the red as an investment in infrastructure and jobs NO DIFFERENT to that contribution WA mums and dads like us have done when asked by the govt to invest in WA with PV.

I have no problem with Australia's debt status as it is a near term investment in Australia and Australians.

Where I object is the soverign risk that it poses to FUTURE INVESTMENT in our Energy by ANYONE!
Why would i build a new wind farm if there was a possibility government could render my investment worthless overnight with the stroke of a pen?

Please reconsider the decision as the consequences for private investment in all kinds of projects is put at risk, foreign investment is driven away and ultimately we will no longer be the lucky country.

At this point in time this decision also directly affects myself and my employer as it undermines the investments people are making today with lots of what-if's.

LASTLY : do the industry a favour and ditch the now arbitrary 5kW inverter limit for REBS -as no new subscriber gets a government incentive and energy is paid for by Synergy at the same rate it pays coal producers its a hangover the industry does not need.
Small businesses also could do with a leg up and even 5c/kWh from Synergy for exported power would help drive more investment.

Regards Karl Jensen
8E + 8W + 8Nth Garage CMS2000-1 with ~4500W in 3 strings of 8.
Fronius Galvo 3.0 inverter with ~6.6kW panels
12x ZNShine + 12x 180W Solarfuns both NW + ZNShine 12x190 facing SE.
Edwards Solar Hot water

Luck Favours the well prepared.
karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby karlajensen » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:59 pm

I'll add to this in saying "the west australian" quotes today if affects families to the tune of $240 a year on average and upto $800.

BARGAIN for the govt!

If we consider this in terms of GST revenue alone most customers spending $20,000 on a 5kW solar system spent $2000 in GST.

$2000 with compound interest over @5% 10 years is

so in reality we're talking an average REAL GAIN to govt in the order of $130 a year..

BUT

at $50million we're talking an average of $98 per eligiible household per year

MOFO's....
8E + 8W + 8Nth Garage CMS2000-1 with ~4500W in 3 strings of 8.
Fronius Galvo 3.0 inverter with ~6.6kW panels
12x ZNShine + 12x 180W Solarfuns both NW + ZNShine 12x190 facing SE.
Edwards Solar Hot water

Luck Favours the well prepared.
karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Quokka2 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:42 pm

GREAT NEWS!

Barnett has backed down. Thanks to all who signed the petition and took whatever other action they thought appropriate (I only wrote to him and 4 other State pollies, 3 Federal ones).

Never mind solar power - nothing beats people power!!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/ne ... -decision/
Quokka2
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby mildew » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:32 pm

Agree a great result. I wrote to the Premier and his Deputy (as my local member), as well as Rob Johnson and my Federal Liberal member, signed the Solar Citizens petition and was active on Whirlpool. Looks like sanity prevailed. I have donated to Solar Citizens https://solarcitizens.nationbuilder.com/donate and thanked them. Others may consider doing this also. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
mildew
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:35 pm

Now, "...just you wait, 'enry 'iggins"

This would have nothing to do with a Federal Election, and the sad reality that most people just can't differentiate between Local and Federal Governments, let alone State and Federal..

Be very prepared to fight again AFTER the elections.. especially if they made no real comment, suggesting that it would not be revisited..

We can ALL expect that ALL governments will be trying that stunt, especially here in NSW with the stupid (but wonderful) 60c GFIT...
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Privatteer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:14 pm

Great news.
I expect we will cop the blame for next power increase. :lol:
Stage 1:
Fronius Primo 5 + 6.6kW Canadian Solar
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:16 am

Privatteer wrote:Great news.
I expect we will cop the blame for next power increase. :lol:

You can guarantee that... :evil:

They had been making those accusations in NSW over the 60c. GFIT... from the start.
But they did stop, AFTER the prices kept rising and the program closed.. ie. The program cost was fixed.....

Liar Liar Pants on fire..
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives