Should we use our solar energy or feed it to the grid ?

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

Should we use our solar energy or feed it to the grid ?

Postby Jackie » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:05 pm

[Moderator - moved from Solar Analyser Support]

We have a new 4.8 kw system installed and running. We are on a 1:1 on the 25c rate and live in the Sunraysia area which is supposedly one of the most solar friendly climates in Australia.

Are we better off using off peak power at night @ 12c to run our pool pump and dishwasher or should we run them during the day using the solar power generated ? Some peole have suggested we are better off getting 25c back from the grid and clean the pool at night for 12c ?

Others say that we should clean the pool during the day as it wouldn't use all the solar power generated (on a sunny day) and the grid could still be fed 10-15c at the same time as we are using it ?
Jackie
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Should we use our solar energy or feed it to the grid ?

Postby bashworth » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:47 pm

With On peak /Off Peak power I use as much power as possible during off peak periods. I don't have a pool but things like washing machines and dishwashers are run at night.
bashworth
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Tracker » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:50 am

How does the 1:1 work :?: There ..

Why is such available there as opposed to plain net fit, and not everywhere .. The old electricity bank.
If it was available everywhere, folk would be more inclined to go solar in these days post GFIT ..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:41 am

Tracker wrote:...If it was available everywhere, folk would be more inclined to go solar in these days post GFIT ..

btw... if you have what I understand as 1:1, then it likely makes little difference if you use it or store it.

So, back to my question .... how does it work? ??
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Jackie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:43 am

By 1 for 1 I mean that we get 25c for every kw that goes back to the grid and it costs us 25c for every kw we use. Prior to going solar our kw charge was 18c kw. As soon as we went solar and had to re-sign up it went to 25c ! Power companies have you over a barrell. We have not got a bill yet so not sure what the savings will be. But whatever savings there are they will only increase as it got put in over winter and the weather is getting better all the time now.
Jackie
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Tracker » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:35 am

OK - so now we know the full package, and I have to say that I think that I would LOVE to have what you have.
I assume that you can't cash in the credits, but that is fine....

If you can generate enough power during the day, then you can completely wipe out your power bills and that is the goal of every PV owner..
All just so much cheaper than Battery Technology..
and that is what you have.. THEY are storing your power for you..
THIS is what should be mandated by Govt. Edict. --- if Govt. was serious about renewable power..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:06 pm

I don't see how one for one can work .

Lets say you purchase a 6 pack of soft drink from a supermarket for $6 retail and then you tried to sell 3 of the cans back to the supermarket for $3. Would you really expect them to pay you $1 for each can when they can purchase the can from there own wholesale suppler for 30 cents each.

Yes I wouldn't be happy giving the energy away for free but my thinking the most you can expect to be payed or offset is the true wholesale cost per KWH and not the retail price.

Your setting yourself up as a micro energy suppler and no one will pay retail for your energy.

Kurt.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:20 am

Well the first comment to be made is that the practice seems to be already operating via some retailers.

Secondly, we are ALL being TOLD that we must suffer for the environment. So, is that purely confined to US, the customers.
THEY (the Govt.) are changing the story as reality bites, and now pretend that this was NOT of their doing.

If then, you accept their premise, that the pain is good for the environment, then surely you can accept that the retailers should have legislation demanding 1:1.... as an encouragement to Green Energy production..

The problem is that there is so much hypocrisy. So many want it both ways. The Govt. want their Carbon Tax to pay the deficit and to pay the world Mafia, and they wanted the money from the sell off of sectors of the energy market.
Everyone wants their pound of flesh from US......

You would surely recognise how good 1:1 would be, especially now, when the Solar Bonus has been dropped in the name of making money.
Surely the concept of distributed solar generation has taken a great deal of pressure off the generators, and this is good for the environment..
Surely we can all recognise that Gross FIT is soon to go (at the risk of encouraging them).. :cry:
Surely, a 1:1 would provide an encouragement to install Solar PV and keep the PV market alive, and this is then good for the environment.

I have many friends who cannot justify PV because they are not home during the day and would pay dearly for their interest in the environment.

Do you put money in the bank and not expect a benefit.
That is what you are doing with 1:1 .. :idea: .. You are giving them your power, usually generated during peak times or at least premium times, and they are selling it at those rates, and YOU then can use that credit at night, when they would be charging you less anyway.

THEY made a profit from YOUR power.. YES - Not as much as they would from their wholesale rates..
But - they still get that stinking service charge.. What Service. :?: .. Accepting customer's money.. :?:

If the environment is the issue, then tell me how 1:1 is not fair... ;)

A proviso would be that 1:1 is not transferable (derrrrr!) and not redeemable in any other form.
ie.. If you had a 10Kw System, and generated far more than you ever used, then BAD LUCK.. You loose that power eventually...
Profit making is not being green.. :roll:
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:37 am

That is what you are doing with 1:1 .. :idea: .. You are giving them your power, usually generated during peak times or at least premium times, and they are selling it at those rates, and YOU then can use that credit at night, when they would be charging you less anyway.

Yes I agree there is a balance. I'm not sure what there wholesale cost is. Anything more than what economically works for the books of the energy company is charity in the name of saving the environment. Company's and the government are businesses and at the end of the day the books have to balance and some one has to pay for things. Warm fuzzy feelings have no value in the business world.

My take on the government is to try and separate my self as much as I can from them. Everything from superannuation, water tank rebates, Pv grants, you name it I don't take part in it .Things are revoked, modified new rules, regs and so on introduced overnight.

This way your limiting your involvement in all the train wreck.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby zzsstt » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:28 pm

The wholesale cost of power is about 5c. The network cost is up around 15c. So whatever the power company pays for it's power, it has to add the 15c network charge and then sell it at a profit. So if it buys PV power for 1:1, it makes a 15c loss when it sells it to someone else for "1".

25c + 15c = 40c cost price /kwh vs. 25c sell price

This is why IPART decided that a "fair" price for PV is around 12c (recently lifted from the previous recommendation of around 8c), because 12c+15c=27c and after the last round of price increases the power company can sell that power and still make a profit.

At 1:1 the power company makes an enormous loss of every kwh. that is why, as stated in the OP's explanation of 1:1, they also raise the "normal" price of power to 25c from the previous 18c. The extra 7c is an attempt to compensate them for the loss they make onselling the PV.

Tracker wrote:That is what you are doing with 1:1 .. :idea: .. You are giving them your power, usually generated during peak times or at least premium times, and they are selling it at those rates, and YOU then can use that credit at night, when they would be charging you less anyway.

No, they buy it from the producer at 25c, then they pay the network 15c to transport it (total cost 40c) then they sell it for whatever the buyer is contracted to pay - in the case of the OP that would ((before signing up for solar) have been 18c. So the power company makes a net loss of 22c on that kwh. By raising the OP's price to 25c they reduce their loss to 15c.

In all these "1:1" debates the network charge is always ignored. If you include the network charge that is levied on all power that is delivered to a customer, 1-(15c):1 is break-even price for the power company.
zzsstt
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives