Feed in tariffs and payments

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

Re: Feed in tariffs and payments

Postby tony3094 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:49 am

Hi Daryl,
you said
.....snip....
Also, Origin Energy have said that not only will they roll over any credit you generate, as required by the legislation, they will actually write you a cheque if you ask for it. It is a good gesture, and I hope other power companies match this.

... snip....

I would be interested to know if Origin have said this on their Website, a forum, verbally, letter etc.
tony3094
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby kt69 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:48 pm

In one of the many posts above, Mike B. commented on the Victorian 60 c FIT, and whether or not electricity retailers will pay for excess power generated. Currently the retailers are not obliged to pay anything, although there are rumours that some have said they will send a cheque at the end of each year. I tried contacting Origin by e-mail a number of weeks ago to see what their policy is, but received no response.

Would a survey of Victorian energy retailers by an organization such as Energy Matters or ATA be worthwhile? If the retailers knew that a survey was being conducted, and the results would be distributed widely, they may be more inspired to come up with a generous plan.

Alternatively, maybe Energy Matters can negotiate a deal with an electricity retailer for their clients. It would make PV systems much more affordable for many people.

Any thoughts?
kt69
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby andarm » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:04 pm

The net feed in tariff for Vic will be paid on a 30 minute block basis,via the smart meter, if introduced as currently proposed. That is, if in any 30 minute block you are generating more than you are using, the excess is exported and you are paid the FiT rate for it. ie. If you generate 1kWh in a half hour block and use 0.5kWh, you will save 0.5 x (say) 18c = 9c plus be paid 0.5 x 60c = 30c. An end result of 39c benefit to you.
As I understand it, the proposed tariff is not to be paid out and will cancel at the end of a 12 month period. I have on file letters from both Origin and AGL saying they will pay out their customers if they wish by cheque rather than lose any credit accrued.
Systems are capped at 5kW to be eligible for the FiT and there is a cap of 100MW across the state.
I am in the process of installing a 5KW system and with our low use of 7.1kWh/day averaged over the year (50% of which is during the day) at 3.5 peak sun hours that equates to a cheque back from power companies of between $3000 and $3500 per annum as well as offsetting 100% of our power bill.
A net FiT is the way to go as otherwise what incentive is there for a consumer to be energy conscious and shift load to off peak?
I welcome any discussion.
andarm
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby andarm » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:06 pm

Forgot to mention before, yet to be confirmed in writing from the ATO but "income" from the FiT is not taxable. Will post when formal confirmation is received.
andarm
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby TSkinner » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks guys,
Is anyone else with origin and tried to pay their gas bill with their "feed in excess"?
Is it worthwhile in summer, using your excess to pay the gas, OR, continually roll it over into winter to pay for the shortfall?
Any suggestions??
Anyone tried it?

Trevor
12xSharp 167w panel - 2kw system with Fronius IG30 inverter
TSkinner
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby mikepotts64 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:27 pm

Great discussion here...
In Sydney there is no Feed in Tariff Policy applied unless there is an agreement with one's Energy Retailer. Hence I moved from Jack Green to Origin. I am paid a gross feed in tariff by Origin of 20c/kWh. This is for review in January 2010 when the NSW Government's Feed in Tariff Policy is due to kick in. The problem is there is still little detail available along with the issue that Integral Energy (the infrastructure provider in Sydney Metro) won't permit the installation of Smart Meters on it's grid.

Interesting days!
mikepotts64
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby markd » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi Guys,

the South Australian experience with Origin is that the import/export meter readings are reported separately on your bill - the net feed in tariff @50cents per kwh or part thereof is is credited to your bill. The SA govt has legislated that the credits cannot be extended by your supplier beyond a 12 month period. Origin policy is to offset your credit against your bill at each billing cycle.

On the issue of 30 minute blocks - I have read the specs on the AMPY EM1200 series meters (as used in SA) and they do indeed store data in 30 minute blocks. Whether that means that is the means by which is recorded is another thing I guess.

The SA Govt fact sheet covers this issue and says ...' You will need a meter that separately records the electricity you return to the grid so that, even if it is only for a second, the meter will keep track of any electricity you return. When the meter reader comes around at the end of the month or end of the quarter, the total amount of electricity you have returned and the total amount you have consumed will be read and passed onto the state’s electricity distributor, ETSA Utilities.'

more info at : http://www.climatechange.sa.gov.au/uplo ... _sheet.pdf

Keep it going guys - this is a good discussion

Mark
markd
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby nicko » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:06 pm

Consfusing Tarrif Rates for sure, Net vs Gross.

We need a simple answer that everyone can get there head around. No Spin not technical jargon.

Let's all see if we can come up with one! My suggestion below (if it's correct).

Net - Power to grid - You receive credits for ONLY the extra power your panels have generated to what you have consumed.
"So this means if you use more power during the day than what you are generating you get nothing (no credits)" this sucks!

Gross - Power to grid - you receive credits for all solar power generated.
"This mean you get credits for all the solar power your generating no matter to how much power you have used."
nicko
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby markd » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:51 am

Nicko,

very good and generally correct in my mind. Two caveats for net Feed in Tariff:

. At the time you are producing it, all power you produce will offset your consumption at the rate you pay for grid electricity
. It only needs to be for a second that your production exceeds consumption that you will receive credit for that amount of electricity - at the Net Feed In Tarrif rate that applies in your area.

Regardless, what you say in general terms is correct.

Mark
markd
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby andarm » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:29 am

Nicko,
You're right with your definition but in Vic at least the export is in 30 min blocks rather than over the whole day. That is, you can generate, say, 1 kWh for the day and use 2 kWh which equates to a 1kWh import but if you were generating more in any 1/2 half block than you uesd, the result can still be the export of some energy during the day. If the import/export deal was 24 hour based, very few households would export anything unless they had a huge system.
Our 5 person household averages 7.1 kWh use per day so our 5kW system results in export every day of the year.
Hope this helps.
andarm
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives