Best use of solar system at the end of the Tariff period?

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

Best use of solar system at the end of the Tariff period?

Postby LouHcq » Wed May 25, 2011 12:06 pm

Hi - Apologies if this has been covered in some form elswhere but I couldn't find anything.

I am interested in understanding the best use of a Gross metered solar system in the scenario that there is no longer any GFIT's at all. Since some of us may now not break even or only just over the entire solar scheme period when the tariffs are reduced, I'm wondering what the prospect is for after the GFIT ends altogether.

How do I get the best benefit from the system I have now purchased? My 2.2kw system produces about equiv to half of my power consumption and we have taken as many energy efficiency measures as we practically can.

At the end of the GFIT period we own an asset in terms of a 2.2kw worth of solar panels and a Xantrex 3kW inverter. What would I need to do to get ongoing benefit from it in terms of reducing our home's energy draw from the grid?

Would I need to somehow convert it into a system that lets us use the power real-time as it is generated during peak times during the day rather than feeding it to the grid?

Install batteries to capture all of the power it generates and use it whenever?

Thanks so much for any guidance on this.

L
LouHcq
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Best use of solar system at the end of the Tariff period?

Postby Clemo » Wed May 25, 2011 12:54 pm

Depend what Net FIT is available when your current Gross FIT finishes in 2016.

At the current 6c per/kwh on offer ATM, I would suggest that an inverter would make a good boat anchor and I have often thought panels would make an interesting coffee table.

A sensible Net FIT is what NSW needs right now IMO.
Clemo
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby variflex » Wed May 25, 2011 12:58 pm

I had my 2kw system installed before the gfit was available, back then it was just connected to the standard meter and wound it backwards when the solar was mking more power than i consumed, basically this halved my bill, since then i have had my gross meter installed which is simply a bonus for me.

I guess if the gfit ceases then i am comfortable with a net system however i really do enjoy the benefits of the current gfit.
variflex
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby karlajensen » Thu May 26, 2011 7:33 pm

I assume you are in NSW

a solar system installed under any of the many govt grants has had a significant portion of its value paid for by someone else. Hence the cost per kWhr is substantially less than grid power.

after the free money ceases to be handed out add more panels if the roof has the available space

by that time you will be on your 2nd inverter - suggest specifying one the correct size for your array and or increasing the panels to match the capacity of the new inverter
8E + 8W + 8Nth Garage CMS2000-1 with ~4500W in 3 strings of 8.
Fronius Galvo 3.0 inverter with ~6.6kW panels
12x ZNShine + 12x 180W Solarfuns both NW + ZNShine 12x190 facing SE.
Edwards Solar Hot water

Luck Favours the well prepared.
karlajensen
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby sun2sun » Fri May 27, 2011 7:03 pm

2016 is a ways off and I wouldnt get too carried away just yet!!

I firmly believe that we will see the wheel turn yet again and we may also have a diferent government in power by then plus circumstances change quickly.

Our thoughts go like this at the end of the FIT scheme, we see what if any FIT options there are, if no options and electricity prices are as high as we think they may go, we will bite the bullet and go stand alone, expensive yes but once again, batteries might be a whole lot cheaper than they are today. Our 10 kW system wil keep batteries charged up no problems !!
sun2sun
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Tracker » Fri May 27, 2011 8:15 pm

sun2sun wrote:2016 is a ways off and I wouldnt get too carried away just yet!!

I suspect that we already know what is going to happen.

Governments generally, have said "ULTIMATE Energy prices alone, will be motive enough to install PV Systems.... also, the system costs are reducing by the day.."

So, they are tipping their hand to the FACT that energy costs are still yet to skyrocket, and we have not factored in a CO2 tax.

The only problem is likely going to be that the Solar Industry will be initially decimated, and the LOWER import rates will see a stop to the "Decreasing Capital Costs".. IMHO

I have no doubt that we, who got the REC multipliers etc. , will always be ahead.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby munter » Tue May 31, 2011 1:29 pm

2016 is still years away. Any advice given now will be superseded by future events. If I had to guess, I would say that by 2016 solar will be at grid parity and it will make sense for you to go onto a Net FIT arrangement and that solar power will compete 1:1 with retail electricity prices without FIT subsidy.
http://renovations08.blogspot.com/ - my energy efficiency blog
munter
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Tue May 31, 2011 2:15 pm

munter wrote:2016 is still years away..

Exactly - All far too soon to be concerned about Wot-If...

In any case, the simple worst case situation is likely to be NET FIT or GFIT @ Parity.
This has already been hinted at, where you will be PAID at parity .. ie. paid what they charge you for the power/TOU.. ie. Off-Peak, Shoulder, Peak..
Then there is the 6c that most retailers seem to be paying for "Renewable Energy Premium"

In any case, it seems that Barry O'Farrell is moving towards a compromise for we lucky 60c'ers..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby LouHcq » Tue May 31, 2011 2:23 pm

Hi everyone
Thanks for your input. I guess perhaps I posted this into the wrong topic in a way. Whilst the thought process was triggered by the GFIT changes I was more trying to get an understanding how you can hook these beasties up to use them in a different way and what the options were if it wasn't used in a gross metering feed-in scenario. Just for my own understanding of what I've got now versus what I'd need if there was no such thing as a feed in tariff. I probably should have put it into the Basics section.
L
LouHcq
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby cw nsw » Tue May 31, 2011 3:11 pm

Hey Tracker - what's this compromise that you're alluding too - come on, spill the beans :lol:
cw nsw
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives