Are we being ripped of by Origin Energy?

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

Are we being ripped of by Origin Energy?

Postby Susbility » Wed May 12, 2010 10:53 am

It is obvious that Origin Energy's computer system is a utter shambles, when a new meter for our Solar panels was installed we where somehow disconnected as a customer, we where than forced by Origin to sign up as a "new customer" Upn receipt of the the "New Agreement Schedule" from Origin we found out:
In December our rate c/Kwh was 15.9505 now with the new rates the ball park has changed to include a
Suppy Charge of 33.649 cents per day, pluss a metering charge of 21.318 cents perday and the rate per Kw has gone up to from 15.9505 to 21.1838 and the so called by rewarded with Origin's Premium Feed in tarrif has in item 12c of the agreement a Credit limit of $50.00.
So Origin Energy semms to be ripping the customers who have Solar Power system by:
Limiting the credit to $50.00 (Than one assumes that one one with a credit on Solar power back of more than $50.00 Origin Energy get the excess for free?)
Has Origin Energy made up a system of so called "new rates" to make more money under false pretences to rip of customers that have Solar power installed?
To make matter worse we have actully received 3 sets of "Premium Feed tarrif Contract Schedules" in the last months, a clear indication Origin Energy Computer System is up the creek.
The Origin Energy Credit limit of $50.00 must be a worry to those that have more than 1 kw installed, the way it looks Origin Energy wont be paying or crediting any one for power gererated beyond $50.00.
Any similar experiences and advise where we can get better tarrif rates are welcomed.
Susbility
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Are we being ripped of by Origin Energy?

Postby Alex Morrow » Wed May 12, 2010 2:14 pm

A great deal seems to depend on where you are. This forum is full of reports of people having trouble getting meters, getting the right meters, getting the right tariffs, and so on ad infinitum. Personally, I long for the days when there was a single supplier, with a single set of rules, tariffs etc. I would really support any move to standardise the whole system Australia-wide, but we seem to be moving further away from standardisation, not closer to it.

As far as Origin's billing system is concerned, I would agree that it seems to be a mess. Since having my PV system installed, I have had one incorrect bill, one correction to that, one correction to the correction, and a correction to the correction to the correction. My last bill was due on or around 19 April, and over three weeks later, I still don't have a bill. Not that it concerns me greatly - it is likely to increase the credit that I have with Origin.

As far as the credit is concerned, the Queensland Solar Bonus Scheme documentation states: "If the solar bonus payments are greater than the total grid-connected electricity consumption charges over a twelve-month period, the customer is entitled to have this balance refunded, rather than maintaining an ongoing credit with the retailer." I haven't tried to put this into practice yet, but will probably do so soon, as the twelve months since the system was installed are nearly up.

Am I being ripped off by Origin? I don't think so, but the situation in other places may differ markedly from mine.
14 Sharp 170W panels with Fronius IG30 inverter
9 REC 235W panels with SMA2000HF inverter
Edwards LX305(2) solar hot water system
pvoutput: Spotted Gums A, Spotted Gums B
Alex Morrow
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed May 12, 2010 2:38 pm

Alex Morrow wrote: This forum is full of reports of people having trouble getting meters, getting the right meters, getting the right tariffs, and so on ad infinitum. Personally, I long for the days when there was a single supplier, with a single set of rules, tariffs etc.

The answer is batteries ;) no real need to have a meter, the tarrif is right, ie zero, you become the single supplier, you set the rules, tariffs etc :lol:
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Alex Morrow » Wed May 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Somewhat off "Origin"al topic: your answer is one answer, Gordon, but not the only one. While I have the greatest admiration for someone who can do and has done what you have done, it's not for a mechanical klutz like me.

Alex
Alex Morrow
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed May 12, 2010 3:53 pm

I agree with you Alex, not everyone wants to mess around with monitoring their batteries, usage etc. However, its seems quite a few people are having problems with their grid connected solar... so in the long term it may result in some of them going off grid to avoid the hassle of dealing with the bureacracy of the power supply companies, especially if the forecast cost increases or grid power eventuate.

I did think of paying for a grid connection ($ridiculous) in order to supply 5 or 10kW to the grid, but in the end decided it really wasn't worth the hassle, given the problems I have seen people having to deal with here on the forum.
I see you are in Laidley, so maybe I rode my mountain bike past your place a few years ago in the Toowoomba to Hidden Vale mtb race :)
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby PeterReefman » Thu May 13, 2010 7:39 am

I'm also very frustrated with Origin, particularily in relation to the Victoria feed-in tariff. My PV system was up well before the Vic FiT was "turned on" apparently on November 1st 2009. I signed the agreement and was told that my 66c would start on that date (1st Nov). My first bill was around Feb 2010 and it wasn't being paid. In fact instead of getting paid about $190 I had to pay about $60. So I rang them up to see what had happened and was told to be patient, that there was lots to get through and my FiT would be back-dated. Fine.

Last week I got my NEXT bill, which is basically 6 months since the FiT was turned on, and I'm STILL not being paid the 66c. Again, I should have gotten paid money but instead now have to pay a bill or our power will be turned off! I rang them and got the same story - and frankly it's not good enough.

My situation is more so because I organised a bulk PV deal last year and reccommended people to use Origin, and are now getting calls from some of those 45 people in the bulk deal!

My next step now is either the energy ombudsman or a solicitor. But first, how's other people going in Victoria that use Origin with the FiT?
PeterReefman
Solar Fanatic
Solar Fanatic

Postby Susbility » Thu May 13, 2010 9:55 am

Origin Energy phone system is a joke, one can spend up to 60 minutes waiting and talking to poeple who than say I do not have the authority to make decisions. We did not get a bill for 3 pluss months. Under threat of getting the power disconnected they forced us to sign up as a NEW CUSTOMER to HELP US OUT, we than received a new contract with NEW RATES GREATLY INCREASED RATES:
The old supply charge was 15.9505 cents per KW, NOW the suply charge is 21.318 cents per KW PLUSS NEW METERING CHARGES of 21.318 cents per DAY, PLUSS a SUPPLY CHARGE of 33.649 per day making it a total NEW charge of 54.96 cents per day!! that we NEVER has to pay BEFORE WE INSTALLED the PV system. Over a 90 day period Origin Energy will collect in DAILY SUPLY CHARGES $49.46. ORIGIN ENERGY claimed that the meter reading was done by JENEMA however that turned out to be bullshit, when I talked to a aonther Origin Energy person he said "we can read your meter directly on our computer" and read out a some of the meter readings to me.
Our PV system was set up in June 2009, we only received the solar buy back of 66 cents per KW from December one 2009. The further worry is now that ORIGIN ENERGY has set a LIMIT OF SOLAR ELECTRICITY BUY BACK AT $50, I would be worried for those that where THINKING of ACTUALY GETTING A REFUND! We only installed 6 panels but provided a 2KW inverter so that we could install another 6 panels, any ideas of installing extra panels are now on hold, if we did the extra power would be gobled up for free by ORIGIN ENERGY and ofcourse sold on by ORIGINN ENERGY as GREEN POWER.
I understand we can lodge complaints with the Ombudsmen there seem to be a stiff automatic penaly in force on Suppliers like ORIGIN ENERGY if they do not solve your account problems promptly, if there are a number of us may be we could take our problems with Origin Energy as group to the Ombudsmen. let me know.
Susbility
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Bthree » Thu May 13, 2010 10:48 am

Are you being ripped, who knows, but from the manner in which you are addressing this friendly forum asking for help I suspect you will get nowhere with origin. The customer service people will give you minimal help (hit someone over the head they will not help you).

Origin operate in more than one state and all the rates are different in each state, how can we give you any information when you will not even tell the forum were you live ?

Hope you feel better now I do !
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby relaxedcamper » Thu May 13, 2010 11:09 am

Alex Morrow wrote:The Origin Energy Credit limit of $50.00 must be a worry to those that have more than 1 kw installed, the way it looks Origin Energy wont be paying or crediting any one for power gererated beyond $50.00.

The contract reads that "Origin will reduce customers credit balance to zero by paying the customer by cheque the credit balance if greater than $50 including GST"

So there is NO PROBLEMS. What the contract says is that Origin will use credits to pay your bill or service charges but if your credit exceeds the bill and the credit is still over $50 then you will be also paid the excess in real money.

So with regard to this, no Origin Energy are OK!!
Network = POWERCOR - Retailer = ORIGIN - 11 Sharp 180w Panels NUSOE3E - Fronius IG 20 IP45 Inverter - 1.98KW Grid Interactive System - DUX SunPro 415L 3 Flat Panels Solar Hot Water - 26,600 Lts Rain Water - 8 Chooks - North of Geelong Victoria
relaxedcamper
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Alex Morrow » Thu May 13, 2010 11:40 am

Relaxedcamper

What you quoted was susbility's comment, not mine. My comment was to the effect that in Queensland at least, I have been assured that I can receive any refund in cash. However, I also commented that the wide range of feed in tariffs, how they are measured, who is measuring them, what sorts of meters are used, who the suppliers are, who the retailers are etc, have made the whole thing a minefield, not just for the consumers, but also, I think for the suppliers and retailers. At present at least, I don't think I'm being ripped off by Origin, but the situation may be quite different for others.
Alex Morrow
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives