Are we being ripped of by Origin Energy?

Financial support for wind and solar power in Australia - rebates, grants and feed in tariffs - can be a nightmare in navigating all the rules and regulations. Ask your questions and view related information here.

Re: Are we being ripped of by Origin Energy?

Postby relaxedcamper » Thu May 13, 2010 11:08 pm

Alex Morrow, I am sorry that I have take the quote from the wrong reply :oops: :oops: . I will edit my submission and note the true author of the comment. Sorry about the mixup.

Oh I've tried to edit but I am unable to. Sorry about that.

Edited : To explain why I couldn't edit the previous post quote author.
Network = POWERCOR - Retailer = ORIGIN - 11 Sharp 180w Panels NUSOE3E - Fronius IG 20 IP45 Inverter - 1.98KW Grid Interactive System - DUX SunPro 415L 3 Flat Panels Solar Hot Water - 26,600 Lts Rain Water - 8 Chooks - North of Geelong Victoria
relaxedcamper
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Alex Morrow » Fri May 14, 2010 8:19 am

relaxedcamper

No worries - anyone who reads the thread will understand.

Alex
14 Sharp 170W panels with Fronius IG30 inverter
9 REC 235W panels with SMA2000HF inverter
Edwards LX305(2) solar hot water system
pvoutput: Spotted Gums A, Spotted Gums B
Alex Morrow
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby sarahj » Tue May 18, 2010 12:16 pm

I am a Vic Origin customer. My last bill (first with the PFIT) was in a very small credit, but apparently I used 4000kwh of electricity in the 3 months! When questioned, Origin said that they would get the meter read again and re-issue the bill. It took a couple of months before I got the corrected bill, but.. $130 credit! Yes - you can get more than $50 credit. :D With Origin I can request payment of the credit from them, but I have decided to leave it there to help pay the heating bill over winter. ;)

I have had numerous issues with billing, PFIT etc with Origin. My advice - Always and only speak to the Solar Team at the call centre (different number to the 13 on the bill though).
sarahj
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby gpigeon » Fri May 21, 2010 9:13 am

Susbility,
Your post alarmed me because I have on order from EM a 10kW system that is due to be installed in June.
So, after reading your comment re the $50 credit limit I contacted Origin to check out if what you were saying was in fact correct. Admittedly, Origin's phone access system requires patience but once you get to speak to someone they are OK to deal with.
Anyway, the outcome........fortunately I think you are wrong! When your credit reaches $50 you can request payment of the excess by cash / cheque. You get paid 66c for EACH & EVERY kWh you feed back into the grid.
I have requested a copy of the contract but in the meantime you might be be able to tell us what exactly clause 12c of that contract states.
Origin also has another plan for non solar premises which offers a one month in twelve (1 in 12) free. That amounts to a 8.5% discount!
There may well be pitfalls that I am yet to experience but to date.....are we being ripped off by Origin? I don't think so!
Regards.
BW
gpigeon
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby relaxedcamper » Fri May 21, 2010 10:00 am

gpigeon, I agree with your comments and we are also with Origin/Powercor. We don't feel ripped off by them.

I think that there are other things to worry about though. Especially for those who will be exporting ALOT of exectricity and will be facing the likelyhood of receiving real cash rebates rather than receiving non cash credit bill offsets. I make this comment with regard to the position taken by centrelink and how they will consider cash received from solar feedback as an assesible / reportable income and that it will directly effect the amount of pension received.

Energy matters is running a link that shows the current development of this situation.
Network = POWERCOR - Retailer = ORIGIN - 11 Sharp 180w Panels NUSOE3E - Fronius IG 20 IP45 Inverter - 1.98KW Grid Interactive System - DUX SunPro 415L 3 Flat Panels Solar Hot Water - 26,600 Lts Rain Water - 8 Chooks - North of Geelong Victoria
relaxedcamper
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby ghostgum » Fri May 21, 2010 2:22 pm

The old supply charge was 15.9505 cents per KW, NOW the suply charge is 21.318 cents per KW PLUSS NEW METERING CHARGES of 21.318 cents per DAY, PLUSS a SUPPLY CHARGE of 33.649 per day making it a total NEW charge of 54.96 cents per day!! that we NEVER has to pay BEFORE WE INSTALLED the PV system.

Not apologising for Origin Energy, but it looks like you have mixed up a few figures if you are in the United Energy area.

The consumption charge for this year (2010) is 19.258c/kWh + GST = 21.1838c/kWh
The consumption charge last year (2009) was 18.95 c/kWh + GST = 20.845c/kWh.
The consumption charge for the year before (2008) was about about 16c/kWh + GST = 17.6C/kWh. This looks like what you are listing as the previous charge.

Last year we paid about $44 per quarter for supply, which covered supply + metering.
This year it has been split into separate charges. Supply is 21.318c/day + metering 33.649c/day = $49 per quarter, so the price rise is only about $5 per year.

These price rises occurred whether you had solar or not.

I'll find out soon how much they can mess up my bill. Solar system was installed, 10 weeks later the meter was replaced, then 2 days later the scheduled meter reading occurred. I don't like my chances of getting a bill that is on time and correct!
ghostgum
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Sojin_Muneshi » Sat May 22, 2010 7:59 pm

gpigeon wrote:Susbility,
Your post alarmed me because I have on order from EM a 10kW system that is due to be installed in June.
BW

gpigeon,

you should be more alarmed about the fact that your 10kW system on order will not qualify at all for the Victorian PFIT as it has a 5kW legal limit?

You will only be able to access the "1 for 1" SFIT tariff?

regards

Sojin
Sojin_Muneshi
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Location: Melbourne Victoria - CitiPower Network AGL Retailer

Postby gpigeon » Sun May 23, 2010 2:23 pm

Sojin,
I,m not quite sure what the Victorian SFIT is! As I am in NSW, with a 10kW limit, the Victorian rules won't worry me in any case.
As i've seen in many posts.........it would be a good idea if we all had our location in our profile.
It is a shame that the rules are not "Nationwide". That of course would be asking too much of our overworked pollies. They can't even agree on standard road rules, education standards or even a simple thing like fishing bag limits. I wonder sometimes how this great Nation of ours got to where it is today.
However, thanks for your input.
Regards.
BW
gpigeon
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Bthree » Sun May 23, 2010 2:29 pm

gpigeon wrote:it would be a good idea if we all had our location in our profile.

YES that would be a great idea, save a lot of confusion and needless posts
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby relaxedcamper » Tue May 25, 2010 8:28 am

Bthree wrote:
gpigeon wrote:it would be a good idea if we all had our location in our profile.

YES that would be a great idea, save a lot of confusion and needless posts

Um... Have a look at the right hand side beside your name. There is a place for LOCATION allready.

I think it would also be good in this section to display your Energy Provider and Power Retailer.

Edit : Spelling.
relaxedcamper
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Renewable Energy Rebates And Incentives