Victoria's Smart Meter Rollout Temporarily Suspended

News, product developments and events occurring in the wind and solar power industry

Victoria's Smart Meter Rollout Temporarily Suspended

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:24 am

Victorian Energy and Resources Minister Peter Batchelor recently announced the temporary suspension of a rollout of smart meters throughout the state, effective as of Monday afternoon:

http://www.energymatters.com.au/index.p ... cle_id=815
Michael B.
Energy Matters Forum Team (Please note: I am not a solar tech or installer)

Check out Energy Matters' current solar power specials
or try our instant online solar quoting system!
MichaelB
Energy Matters Team
Energy Matters Team

Re: Victoria's Smart Meter Rollout Temporarily Suspended

Postby Tracker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:15 pm

the moratorium would enable a joint assessment between government, industry and consumer groups to establish current best practice consumer protection framework for Victorians, consider the need for electricity concessions, examine options for the introduction of time-of-use pricing

So (if you will pardon the pun) , the .FIT has hit the fan.. Not quite FIT perhaps..

So it is hitting home that the average retired person, will be worse off under TOU tariffs, whilst the working people can at least be away for much of the Peak Period, and hence save.

On top of that they tell us prices will rise by 60+% over the next years.

It will be cheaper to be DEAD, than OLD.
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Sojin_Muneshi » Sat May 22, 2010 7:45 pm

The Moratorium is on the application of new Time of Use tariffs to customers getting the Smart Meters, the rollout is unaffected and is continuing.

regards

Sojin
Sojin_Muneshi
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Location: Melbourne Victoria - CitiPower Network AGL Retailer

Postby KarenS » Wed May 26, 2010 3:46 am

Sojin_Muneshi wrote:.
The Moratorium is on the application of new Time of Use tariffs to customers getting the Smart Meters, the rollout is unaffected and is continuing.

regards

Sojin

An extract from a recent post of mine elsewhere: (solar-wind-rebates/topic917-20.html)

"And a REALLY INTERESTING QUOTE from United -
From 1 April 2010, the Victorian Government requested a moratorium on the mandatory assignment of Time of Use tariffs. However there are circumstances as in the case of co-generation (PFIT) where UED has been exempt from this.
So if you are in a United area, and you have recently got solar power, you will (a) be deemed to be a "NEW" customer, and (b) be given a TOU tariff, whether you like it or not. Which Red will pass on."

So what happens if you are with United, have had PV for some time,and are then given a Smart Meter?
KarenS
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Sojin_Muneshi » Thu May 27, 2010 12:42 am

Karen,

My understanding from that is UE will place you on a ToU tariff if you move to PFIT and get a smart meter, I cannot comment on their policy if you are remaining on SFIT and get a smart meter, I know other
Victorian Networks have a similar requirement move to TOU under PFIT, but dont require existing SFIT customers to move off existing tariffs to TOU simply due to fitting of a smart meter.

This is an important issue/opportunity for customers in those other areas who have subsidised tariffs and wish to retain them, especially if SFIT payments in the order of 23c are available from some retailers?

Similarly in rollout exchange of existing meters for smart meters UE was apparantly requiring a mandatory change to TOU, where as others were not, and again I understand from the media release and other sources that UE are no longer requiring the mandatory change to TOU in the rollout due to the moratorium?

regards

Sojin
Sojin_Muneshi
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Location: Melbourne Victoria - CitiPower Network AGL Retailer

Postby WhyNot » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:50 am

I suspect that since the recent State election, AMI (Smart) meter rollouts have now actually stopped at least in the UE/Jemena areas (compared with earlier this year when it was only the TOU tariffs that were suspended, while the meter replacements continued) presumably pending expected Govt policy reviews.

Just before the election I was in discussion with UE/Jemena about arranging an AMI meter (within a few days) for a solar PV installation then on the Monday after the election, this was off the agenda - being advised the only option was a standard bidirectional (not AMI) meter. Their AMI contract installer also now advised any future AMI meter "will be 2012 at least and not be under our contract".

Add to this the post-election industry spin - all clearly dis-owning the highly unpopular AMI meter rollout, claiming it was "imposed by the former Govt". How convenient - a new scapegoat, courtesy of the election!
WhyNot
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Solar And Wind Power News