Making good money from your PV system

News, product developments and events occurring in the wind and solar power industry

Making good money from your PV system

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:27 pm

A new 9.5 star home in Melbourne could be earning $2000/year from solar exports, with a large PV system and self-use of only 2-3kWh per day. Currently it is priced well beyond the means of most people, but the cost should fall significantly with the adoption of more efficient building designs in the future.
https://www.energymatters.com.au/renewa ... se-future/

See all the solar news here:
https://www.energymatters.com.au/renewable-news/
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Re: Making good money from your PV system

Postby australsolarier » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:10 am

i find 2 to 3kwh a day way too optimistic. even my freezer and fridge alone use 2kwh daily. ( they were 5 star 2003). you probably want to cook with electricity. the warm air recovery system. and i suppose you want to watch tv and not read a book by candle light? quite possibly that glass house overheats somewhat in the summer.
like the idea of the passive house. but that house is not a good example. the problem here in australia is, you will have a hard time finding a builder knowing what the heck you are talking about.
passive house standards are quite easy to reach here in australia, because most people live in the milder parts in australia. it adds so 10 to 20% more costs to building to passive house standard. (if i remember correctly)

there is also a very wide overlap between "insulation and solar electricity". on an existing building it might be more cost efficient to invest in solar panels on the roof as in insulation.
anyway, food for thoughts.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:30 am

Agreed 2-3kWh/day does sound unrealistic, especially with all those lights on! I guess it would be possible if you ate out all the time, rarely made toast or used the electric oven, did cold water washes in the washing machine, rarely used the dishwasher, and only had one fridge, used lights and TV sparingly etc. Going on frequent holidays, leaving the house empty would also help ;)

The Herald Sun story claims the house is off-grid, but later says it is connected to the grid to export electricity.

With a decent sized battery and oversized PV array you could certainly minimise imports from the grid and make some decent money from a retailer offering a good FiT for exports. No need to spend a million dollars on a house to acheive that!
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby australsolarier » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:44 am

by coincidence i just watched a renovation in switzerland. the fresh air exchanger alone was using 500kwh a year.
passive houses are totally sealed. so an active air exchanger is needed. of course that is only when heating or cooling the building. otherwise you just open the windows. in the more sophisticated systems the heating/cooling/ air exchange is all in one system.
all electric is certainly the future.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:31 pm

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:Agreed 2-3kWh/day does sound unrealistic,

The homes either side of me.. One is SUPER Power-Frugal and uses 10units a day
The other one is pretty average at about 20units..
You don't want to know what we use.. ;-)

With a decent sized battery and oversized PV array you could certainly minimise imports from the grid and make some decent money from a retailer offering a good FiT for exports. No need to spend a million dollars on a house to achieve that!

FIT - is likely NEVER worth the effort.
Storage is the best way..
Charge the battery first and then divert all else into HOT WATER - that is proving VERY effective and far cheaper than battery storage..

Maximum FIT that I am aware of is 12C from Energy Australia, and the cheapest grid power is twice that, and so "Saving" power is always going to be more profitable than selling it..

It's strange, however, that Victoria seems to be talking about introducing more home solar rebates and FIT options.. NO IDEA of the details, yet..!
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Solar And Wind Power News