Wind power

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Wind power

Postby FairAce » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:31 pm

Thanks to Energy Matters for a great idea.
I wld be very interested to hear from anyone who has installed wind turbine/s in SE Qld. We are about to commence building on 45 acres near top of range near Toowoomba. Wld have loved to go off-grid, but as we are not considered "remote" costs were prohibitive. Yes we get plenty of sunshine, but "always a breeze" is a conservative statement.
No govt incentives to go green on new builds. I have written to sitting state and federal ministers seeking their stand only to receive "blurbs", obviously from media secretaries, containing standard propaganda info avail on their websites.
The worry, being primary producers (stud cattle), is that we are loathe to trade in any RECS when purchasing alternative energy sources until carbon trading policies have been firmed. This is another whole can of worms best dealt with elsewhere.....
Opinions, advice welcome.
FairAce
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Wind power

Postby Tracker » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:06 pm

You are right about the REC's.. Just a disaster at this time..
We can blame the opposition, I guess, for creating the feeling that the Federal legislations on Climate-Change might not get through. Hence - the industry is not prepared to spend money on REC's that could be worth even less next year.

Unfortunately, I agree with the opposition, but I still want to cash-in my REC's at the best price.. I need to to help recover some of the money spent being GREEN..

http://www.petitionproject.org/gw_article/Review_Article_HTML.php

have a look at this site - reinforced my thinking I can tell you..

Urban Wind Power - That is my next project.. The only concern that I have is that I'm told that it can be a little noisy for the neighbors.. I might start a new thread on that and get the brain working !
Retired Engineer and keen PV experimenter - Always ready to learn and share.
2 x CMS2000 (fan cooled) GCI and SE 170W panels
1.7kW First Solar/Outback Island circuit - Peak Replacement Power
Governments won't save the world :-) They will just TAX it :-(
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:33 pm

Tracker wrote:Urban Wind Power - That is my next project..

Having this thread already going, I'll change direction a little. I do have a desire to to fabricate a Wind-Generator.. Has anyone out there done development in the field..

I am interested in trying to build Vertical Wind Generator, possibly using a motor from a Fisher Paykel washer as the generator. I like the idea of the vertical turbine becasue it lends itself mechanically to drive the FingP motor by vertical drive.. Not being an Aero-Eng type, I am not into the drive side of things..

I just know that the advantage of the Vertical Turbine, is that it is NON DIRECTIONAL..

Has anyone got any first-hand knowledge of Vertical Turbines and how to DIY..

Sorry - FairAce - Hope I am not hijacking your thread !
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby FairAce » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:25 pm

Tracker
Hijack away. All input gratefully received. I hope this generates a lot more discussion. FairAce
FairAce
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Bthree » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:53 pm

Tracker,
There was an extensive article on a rewound fisher and paykel washing machine motor and a vertical stack of cut in half 44 gallon drums, thats all I can remember ... about five years ago or more,

was it Silicon Chip mag. edit around Jan 2005
Also google ..

http://hackedgadgets.com/2008/12/05/fis ... generator/

http://www.sustainability.ofm.uwa.edu.a ... 884/FP.pdf

http://www.endeavoura.com/pdf/windturbi ... 20Pt.2.pdf
Last edited by Bthree on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Network = Powercor .. Retailer = Origin .. Installed Christmas 2008
Latronics PV-1200 feed by 8xTrina TSM DC-01 .. 170watt = 1360watts DC in .. 1096watts AC out .. 5+years later 990watts ac out
Bthree
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Tracker » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:26 pm

and a vertical stack of cut in half 44 gallon

Oh how the neighbors would love that.... !

I will look at the references - Thanks
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby taggertycyclist » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:11 pm

Try this as a reference for F&P windmill projects:

http://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/Contents.asp#3

TheBackShed apparently is highly regarded for its info and content.

I may think about one of these wind generators in the future. Where I am at the moment, there is a regular, fresh southerly to sou-westerly breeze comes in most summer afternoons. Except in peak fire season when those hot northerlies strike. Whether the afternoon breezes are sufficiently long and strong enough to produce decent power, I don't know. And, of course, I have solar aplenty then... and in winter, the wind strength usually is zero, especially when there is cloud cover!!!

Now, if I lived really close by a reliable water course, I would probably think about a mini-hydro plant and a ram pump to service many of my needs.
taggertycyclist
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Tracker » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:50 am

http://www.turby.nl/99-downloads/Turby-EN-Application-V3.0.pdf

TURBY.jpg
TURBY - Vertical Wind Generator

This is the one that I think is the best suited for use with the FingP motor.. Because it is vertically oriented, the motor rotor will cover the stator, like-a-hat -- Protecting it.
If you happen to be so lucky as me, with a two-storey suburban home with sloping roof sections to the N,S,E and W and this sat just above the HIP, then wind energy hitting the sloping face would be diverted up through the vanes -- I think -- giving extra grunt..

It seems to be just so simple, only needing three discs and a number of metal slats attached at an angle, forming a shallow helix.. There is no Aero-dynamic shaping of the main vanes.. just FLAT metal

I imagine a neat hole through the ridge-capping and bearings and plant inside the roof and only the spinning vane above the ridge-cap..

Has anyone actually done it? or seen it?

If anyone starts to think about it as a project and you have read some of the DIY articles, and you find a FingP machine, be sure to retain the OUTER BOWL.. Moulded into the base of the poly-tub, is the aluminium bearing support tube.. It is REAL easy to get it out (but messy).. just invert the tub over a smaller garbage bin full of water and then get to work with an oxy or Propane torch INSIDE the support tube.
Round and round, up and down heat it hard and evenly, and you get to a point where the entire plastic "lets go" and the aluminium tube just slides out..
If you can grab it with multigrips etc. before it gets wet and cold, you can just hold it over the water and continue heating and in no time you have a clean tube with all the bits in the right places for reassembly as a support system..
Tracker
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby franks » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Bang for buck in wind turbines cant go past the 300w chinese one Jaycar and others are flogging model with built in regulator, that look like a overgrown Air-X turbine, (1.5mtr 3 blade) I got one for $550, spent about $200 for 15mtr gal mast guys and footings.
At my location average wind speed of 4-5mts/sec im getting 30 amp hours into my 24 volt battery bank per day.
3.04kW Grid Tie system 16 of 190W PVs, Samil 3.3kW
3.8kW PV Stand Alone Off Grid.. 5-8kWHr Per day
24 of 190W PVs
Midnite Classic 150 & Lite MPPT
8 of 6V 600 AH flooded cells (24 volt 1200 AH)
Outback VFX3024E Inverter Charger
franks
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:57 pm

The Chinese 200W model from Jaycar I have on a 10m mast has put out a good two times what my 2.75kW worth of panels has today. Heavy overcast and rain on and off all day, but a strong SE'ly is keeping it spinning nicely. Up to 375W with the strong gusts, almost twice its rated output. I have a few more of the 200W and 1 X 500W model too, which are in the process of having new blades made for them, so they will perform better in lower wind speeds, which are more common around here.

Gordon
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Next

Return to Components, Installation And Performance