Battery support for SolarEdge GTI

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Battery support for SolarEdge GTI

Postby Rexyboy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:09 pm

Hi,
This is my first post so forgive me if I leave some information out.

I have just purchased a c.10kW grid tied PV system that consists of 34 LG 345 panels, 5kW 3phase SolarEdge inverter and a 5kW single phase StorEdge inverter which is due to be installed in a couple of weeks. The SolarEdge optimisers should help with our shading issues.

The reason for the inverter selection was driven by my desire to be battery ready when funds allow me to invest in 10-20kWh of battery storage. My understanding is that the StorEdge inverter can plug and play with LG H batteries without change over of inverters. My motivation for batteries is to shift my solar consumption beyond daylight hours (if that's the right way of saying it).

However, I am starting to think that only having access to LG high voltage batteries and possibly Tesla is rather limiting. I like the idea of being able to add banks of 48v LiFePO4 batteries and possibly other chemistries as technology progresses over the next 10-20 years (possibly optimistic). I have seen the Selectronic SP Pro type inverters which look great but only seem to play nice with ABB and Fronius GT inverters.

Can someone give me a bit of direction about how I could add lower voltage battery technology with the StorEdge GT inverters and still have a performant system?

Thanks in advance.
Rexyboy
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Return to Components, Installation And Performance