Is smart metre part of the quote

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Is smart metre part of the quote

Postby Watching » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi: I have a contract with a compant to upgrade my system and now they have added the cost of a smart metre. Shouldn't this be part of the original quote. This is the 3rd time they have sent an amended quote.
June
Watching
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: Is smart metre part of the quote

Postby Privatteer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:32 pm

Since you imply you already have a system you should have a smart meter installed to measure the import/export.

I can only assume its something along the lines of the electrical supplier has put an export limitation on the install.
To let the inverter know how much it can export it has to monitor with a meter the export/import on the supply cable. If you have a Fronius system that meter is called a "Fronius smart meter" and is installed separately to the electrical suppliers meter. I suspect other systems solar will have similar names for their equivalent and that is where your confusion is occuring.
Stage 1:
Fronius Primo 5 + 6.6kW Canadian Solar
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:49 am

privatteer,
it looks to me like you misunderstood the question.
he wants to know if the added cost of the smart meter should have been in the original quote. and does absolutely not mention anything about limiting output and fronius smart meters, etc
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Privatteer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:43 pm

No, misunderstanding.

OP already has a system installed and a meter upgrade would/should have had to previously been carried out.
Can only guess at what is being refereed to without seeing the actual wording of quote.
Stage 1:
Fronius Primo 5 + 6.6kW Canadian Solar
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Watching » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:48 am

I have a small system and I am getting a 6 kw system added to it. I was quoted $3,890 installed. I was then told I would need a $275 addition for my hot water which I said I did not want as it can run on the daily tariff and then got told that I needed this smart metre which Ergon has confirmed. My question is that should not this smart metre have been added to the quote above instead of later. Any one putting on a 6kw system would need it.
Watching
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby australsolarier » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:12 am

not sure, but i think the new smart meter is usually outside the quote. you can however lower the cost if you find a private electrician to install it. basically it is a matter for the power retailer, or the wire blokes.
and it is different in each state and area,etc
that quote you mentioned is really good value for the money. i think many solar installers work very close to the edge of profitability, so i suggest concentrate on the positive side of your future power savings and don't get too hooked up on the smart meter added expense.
plus there is a government subsidy included in your quote. your quote just about covers the cost of the solar panels. so all in all, you are still doing very well.

you might want to report back on this forum to tell us what your cost saving are.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Components, Installation And Performance