Going Solar

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Going Solar

Postby jaahn » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:03 pm

Hi :D
Your memory is playing tricks. I believe you are confusing various types of single phase motors, some of which use a capacitor and a second winding to start. These then may or may not, switch out of the circuit after a short time. But that is another different story. All these types start DOL normally.
Is your motor a single phase or are you in another country with 240V three phase. ??
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:24 pm

jaahn wrote: Is your motor a single phase or are you in another country with 240V three phase. ??

>> "I got myself a small 2400W off-brand MPP SOLAR unit to test"

Another country and it would just be single phase.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby JA2340 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:34 pm

jaahn wrote:Hi :D
Your memory is playing tricks. I believe you are confusing various types of single phase motors, some of which use a capacitor and a second winding to start. These then may or may not, switch out of the circuit after a short time. But that is another different story. All these types start DOL normally.
Is your motor a single phase or are you in another country with 240V three phase. ??
Jaahn

No tricks ... I'm in Aus and always have been, and the electrotech thing was at TAFE 40+ years ago. Could have been 3 phase, but I honestly cannot recall the intimate detail.
You are confusing me with the OP.

Aren't most pump motors single phase? Except the freaking big ones that irrigators use to drive the rivers in reverse - most of which are huge big diesel motor driven.

I do know that the submersible pump I have is single phase, as we do not have 3Ph power here!
If you had to choose between being fit and drinking wine ...
What would it be? Red or White?
JA2340
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby jaahn » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:21 am

Hi Ja2340 :D
Yes I did confuse you with the OP, sorry !!
Small household pumps are often single phase yes. But if you have 3 phase and need any larger motor power, it is usually preferred and cheaper to use 3 phase motors.Even for modest sizes. Using large single phase motors certainly dims the lights as they start, particularly if you have a marginal capacity supply. :cry: The electricity suppliers were against allowing that but seem to be more tolerant now, perhaps ? :?:

Three phase motors start either DOL or use a star/delta starter, which uses the star connection to provide reduced voltage for a "burst" then changes to delta for full voltage. Only small ones use DOL.

There are lots of medium sized pumps running around the Hunter that are used for watering and irrigation. They are not all 20", 30", 40"+ monsters like shown on the telly out west. :shock: A lot less work to run an electric pump than a diesel.
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby JA2340 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:29 pm

We use a small submersible in our bore for irrigation of olives. Works fine until the bore dries up!

Problem with using electrickery to run a pump outback (and not that far - talking just west of Gunnedah, really) is the need for a power line to run the pump. Diesel is far more amenable to moving around, and remote operation.
If you had to choose between being fit and drinking wine ...
What would it be? Red or White?
JA2340
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:37 pm

You don't need grid power for bore pumps these days, small solar powered 3phase surface and bore pumps are readily available. I've got one as a backup in one of my aquaponics systems. If you only need to pump during the day, it can by powered by panels alone, the controller adjusts for available power. If you need to pump at night, you need to use a battery as well.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

MPP SOLAR Comparison of AC Grid and AC Inverter

Postby MetalFiber » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:38 am

I was doing a comparison of my rebranded MPP SOLAR AC Inverter output to AC Grid/Utility output. In my area (Provincial Philippines), it really made a difference in clean power. The Utility power can fluctuate up to 70 volts on a 230V 60Hz grid system. I was wondering if anyone else has this experience or is this normal...?
MetalFiber
Solar Supporter
Solar Supporter

Re: MPP SOLAR Comparison of AC Grid and AC Inverter

Postby jaahn » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:17 pm

The utility power can fluctuate up to 70 volts on a 230V 60Hz grid system. I was wondering if anyone else has this experience or is this normal...?
[/quote]
Hi MetalFiber :D
Here in Australia and in the city I expect good power and small fluctuations, and usually we get that. Out in the remote areas it may be not as good :shock:
I have worked in a couple of third world countries where your experience may be "normal" and it causes problems. We had the whole town off the power for some time once when the governor failed on the hydro turbine at night and the frequency doubled and the voltage went up to ???? who knows but approaching 400V. Had a lot of electrical repairs to do after that. :twisted: Some big commercial freezers in town put diesels on their systems until they got their big electric motors fixed/replaced !!! The town water supply had 8" bore pumps and one was totally destroyed at great expense(three phase).
So what is normal where you are ?? :roll:
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Components, Installation And Performance