New offgrid system

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: New offgrid system

Postby offgridQLD » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:05 pm

For sure it's something that needs assessment over time and things can change to tip the Ballance in another direction. One could be a dramatic increase in unit price like if it doubled or your consumption was very high and you squeezed every last kwh from the system and didn't let any go to wast. An idle off-grid isn't to economically eficiant.

I'm beyond needing to know it can be done that's a given. Economics and self seficiancy are to two benefits I can see if you can make it work.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:22 pm

simply go with the selectronic compatible fonius grid feed inverter and you can add the rest later

I think this boils down to be the smartest option. The Fronius Primo 8.2kw with around 10kw of PV feeding it and letting the smarts inside Fronius export limit to 5kw. Working on a 20kwh a day consumption (5kwh of that overnight) (including EV charging) and a 16c feed in tariff. The back of a napkin scribble conservative averages over the year from a return on investment looked promising.

If I get bored I can tinker with my little 4kw PIP4048 hybrid inverter/3kw mppt charge and some 2nd hand PV in the shed with 5kw of calb lithium cells I kept...... just as my SHTF backup :lol:
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:18 am

Kurt,
16c feed in tariff looks good. and best leave your options open. i suspect after a while you will want to have a battery.

just on an other note, south australia is highest in return of cost of all states of solar AND battery systems.

all the best, urs
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby tom rickard » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:39 am

Sounds good, but keep in mind that if you do put an independent setup on your shed, your power company can stop paying your feed in tariff.
tom rickard
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:54 am

keep in mind that if you do put an independent setup on your shed, your power company can stop paying your feed in tariff.

How and why? what say do they have if I have a island system in/on a shed that has no connection to my house. That's like them being upset that I have a caravan parked in the paddock with a pv/bat/inverter in it.

I could perhaps understand if the shed system had a cable running back to the house and was connected to tied in with the grid.

on another note. After running the numbers on the house system it did get my thinking. Perhaps I should take advantage of other grid connections with meters on the property.

I have three other 3 phase meters on the property. One is a pumping station near the creek (has one 15kw irrigation pump on it and a smaller 3kw tank pump ) Another is at the machinery shed/ disused dairy and the third is in the middle of a padoc and isn't used (old pumping station further down the creek not in use). They all feed back to a very large transformer (100kva+) neer the first pump station.

At this stage the meter in the machinery shed/ dairy is costing me about $400 a year in suply fees and about $20 of actual consumption. Very handy to have that 3 phase power at that shed but but not often used. I was thinking perhaps I should get some PV up on the machinery shed as it would be feeding back most of the time. At 16 cents kwh a budget 5kw system could put $3 or so a day average into the grid .(supply charge is about $1 a day for that meter) would pay for its self in about 4-5 years.

perhaps even a smaller system just enough to cover that supply charge.

The meter on the 15kw pump is payed for by the guy leasing that padoc so not much point doing anything at that location for now.

The other unused meter would really only be good for a big commercial sized ground mount system. Though could one day be a option to try and reduce the pumping costs for irrigation if I was paying for pumping.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:57 pm

good on you Kurt
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby tom rickard » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:53 pm

Read your contract when you get it. You sign up with the energy provider and agree to their terms.

Up to you, just thought i'd make you aware of the fine print regarding receiving feed in tariff.

I'm not saying it's right.
tom rickard
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:27 pm

tom rickard wrote:Read your contract when you get it. You sign up with the energy provider and agree to their terms.

Up to you, just thought i'd make you aware of the fine print regarding receiving feed in tariff.

I'm not saying it's right.

yes but you never explained the fine print and my take on it is you have a complete misunderstanding of what I wanted to do that would have no impact on my contract with the energy providers.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby tom rickard » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:58 pm

I understood correctly, i didn't explain the fine print, you can read that for yourself as some policies differ. There have been many cases where people have been penalised for having a stand alone power supply at the same billing address where they receive a feed in tariff.

Most (like you), were shocked to find out it wasn't allowed.

Your energy contract may allow it, was just giving you a heads up to check first..
tom rickard
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:28 pm

On several hundred acres with lots of different buildings some km away from one another im sure it will be none of there business what stand alone power I have.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance