Wind Gen/alt connections

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Wind Gen/alt connections

Postby harrydiculous » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi - I've gone as far as the standard power (3kw) back to grid & hot water installations. I'm moving a bit further now. I want to adapt the caravan Solar Cells & 120kwh battery, 300w Pure Sine Wave inverter to run the shed light & computer. That's no problem but I've also bought a 400w wind generator.

The instructions from the Chinese wind generator are a bit thin. It came with a charge controller. From the Wind Generator there appears three black wires.

On the CC there are - 3 green wires that say AC. A red wire to the Battery & a black wire that says "brake."

So, I've gleaned from the instructions and other various sources that the current from the WG is 3 phase?

You connect the battery first before connecting to the WG.

Question - Do I connect the three black wires to the three green wires from the WG to the CC?

The Charge Controller is a SWAY SF-12-24-A https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-sel ... 4.1.ajBUyg

The WG is Chinese and unbranded but is for all the wold identical to an Air x and mentioned on this site. :-
http://www.energymatters.com.au/southwe ... p-426.html

Eventually, I'd like to run the Fridge & freezers at night from battery power, obviously with more equipment.

Thanks for any advise.

Graeme
3kW on grid. Solar River PV Grid Tied inverter 3000TL. Rene Solar Panels 12 x 250. Solar Hot Water. 960 watt Solar off grid with 3500 watt inverter. 4 x 100 amp/h batteries.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Re: Wind Gen/alt connections

Postby Privatteer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:59 pm

As per the instructions on the page you linked to the 3 green wires connect to the output of the wind gen. Yes its AC.

What is the voltage charge spec of your batteries and brand solar controller?
I only ask cause recently replaced batteries on a system with a small wind gen. Solar would get the batteries up to 14.4V then it would sit there with the wind gen constantly trying to get it up to 15V and overcharging the batteries.
I'm still trying to convince the client to allow me to reconfigure it so the Plastronics PL40 solar reg can control the wind gen at the proper voltage levels for the batteries.
Stage 1:
Fronius Primo 5 + 6.6kW Canadian Solar
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby harrydiculous » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:44 am

Hi Privateer. Thanks for the reply:- here are the specs from the Solar Collector & Charger.

ImageSolar Cont by jibbonpoint, on Flickr

ImageMaxray by jibbonpoint, on Flickr

I couldn't understand why three black wires would just connect to three green wires seemingly randomly. Just wanted to be sure.
3kW on grid. Solar River PV Grid Tied inverter 3000TL. Rene Solar Panels 12 x 250. Solar Hot Water. 960 watt Solar off grid with 3500 watt inverter. 4 x 100 amp/h batteries.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:11 am

harrydiculous wrote:I couldn't understand why three black wires would just connect to three green wires seemingly randomly.

You are just connecting the 3 phase AC to 3 diode pairs, it doesn't really matter in which order the 3 phases are rectified to DC. If you were connecting the generator's 3 phases to a 3 phase motor, the motor will only turn one way or the other, no other non-working combinations are possible.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby harrydiculous » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:22 am

Thanks Gordon.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby harrydiculous » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi

1) I've now connected the solar panels via the Solar Voltage reg to the 100 A/H Battery.
2) Connected the Battery to the 300W Full Sine Wave Inverter.

So I can now run the computer, camping fridge, ice maker. (I do need to check amps here; the Ice maker will only be used for an hour each day, if that.)

Now awaiting an Hybrid Voltage regulator to set up the:-

3) 400 watt Wind Generator. (I will then connect the Solar to the Hybrid direct from the panels)

It occurred to me that the 240 volt (actually 220 volt) power from the inverter can cause the same amount of death that can be obtained from the mains. I haven't been able to find any advice on safety on this subject anywhere.

Any advice?

(A delay on this project was caused by some heart surgery, now completed. If I was to electrocute myself, the surgeons etc, would think that they had wasted their time.)
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby australsolarier » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:11 pm

yes, don't waste the surgeon's labour. i agree with you.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jaahn » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi harry :D
Yes the output of a 220V inverter will kill you just the same as the 220V mains. Be a waste of the surgery for sure. Also note the inverter output has no earth either. You should really only connect one earthed appliance to it at any one time for a technical reason to do with this. :?: :roll:
So do not use a power board with all items connected into it unless they are double insulated with a two pin plug standard !!
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby harrydiculous » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:55 am

Can I install an RCD unit between the inverter & line out?
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby jaahn » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:05 am

harrydiculous wrote:Can I install an RCD unit between the inverter & line out?

Hi Harry, :)
Yes. You can get a portable one at any hardware store with an over load and RCD incorporated. The overload will be too high for your inverter but it protects itself from overload.
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Next

Return to Components, Installation And Performance