Wind Gen/alt connections

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Wind Gen/alt connections

Postby harrydiculous » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:08 pm

I'll take the panels down and check. I had planned to take them down & reposition for more roof space plus replace the hotch potch of Anderson Plugs with MC4 that I have already purchased for the job. I actually thought that the limit was going to be 1000 watts with the purchase of another MPPT controller in parallel. I will now rethink all of that. Thank you very much, Gordon. That is fantastic.
3kW on grid. Solar River PV Grid Tied inverter 3000TL. Rene Solar Panels 12 x 250. Solar Hot Water. 960 watt Solar off grid with 3500 watt inverter. 4 x 100 amp/h batteries.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby harrydiculous » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:43 am

Well, I've added four x 160 watt panels. Removed the 100 watt. There's now 6 x 160 watt panels wired. 3 x 2 in series as Gordon suggested and then delivered to the VR in parallel. Around 40 volts now as shown. So 960 watts in total. The larger end unit is a camping panel and is only discharging 15 - 16 volts so I might replace that with one identical to its mate.

Image960watt by jibbonpoint, on Flickr

ImageIMGP4516 by jibbonpoint, on Flickr

The vine in the foreground isn't shading the panels.

Also added another battery to make it 4 x 100 amp/h

I need now to take the best advantage of it.

Thanks for all your help. I'll see if I can eventually make myself useful elsewhere in the forum.
3kW on grid. Solar River PV Grid Tied inverter 3000TL. Rene Solar Panels 12 x 250. Solar Hot Water. 960 watt Solar off grid with 3500 watt inverter. 4 x 100 amp/h batteries.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby australsolarier » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:27 pm

the vine in the foreground might not shade the panels now, but they for sure will in the winter
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby harrydiculous » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:47 am

australsolarier wrote:the vine in the foreground might not shade the panels now, but they for sure will in the winter

I'll be trimming it before then. (I've just cut some major offshoots so I'll see what dies.)

By the way. I forgot about the Wind Turbine. I think I'll run that directly to the batteries from it's own VR and manually control when it's running. No sun for a few days and wind, let it go and monitor the battery charging.

I could donate it to a struggling Yachtie I suppose who would get more use out of it.

Any other suggestions, of course, always gratefully received. :)
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby harrydiculous » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:45 am

Reached a watershed moment with this project. It's going nicely powering the Computer, washing machine & LED 24 hours per day.

I purchased the book "Solar Basics" suggested earlier by jahn and noted some safety issues; one of which I can alleviate by moving the batteries outside the shed but adjacent so that I can run the existing cables without extension. Welding & grinding sparks could cause a serious issue.

But; I'm experiencing noise (RF?) from the inverter. I have checked that cables are tight. The unit is earthed to a ground spike. The unit is a EDECOA 3500 watt Pure Sine Wave. (I have checked it with a hand held oscilloscope. Checked the Oscilloscope against grid power & also a Modified Sine Wave Inverter.)

The noise emanates from it whether it has any power being drawn or not.

The noise extend beyond the property but no one has complained. (It may be that it is very faint at that distance and I know what I'l hearing.) Anyway, the Boss wants her AM Radio.

I do have a small 200 Watt PSW Inverter (Purchased from Jaycar) and no noise at all from it.

I read somewhere, enclosing the unit in a Faraday Cage might work.

Any advice?

Thanks
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:57 am

Try wrapping the inverter DC leads around each other as a spiral if possible, it may help a little. Another option is large toroids around the inverter DC leads. In my experience when I had this problem with an early Selectronics Silver Series modified sine wave inverter, they did slightly reduce the problem, but not eliminate it.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby harrydiculous » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:03 am

Thanks Gordon,

These are the leads that this unit came with:-

ImageRedlead by jibbonpoint, on Flickr

So, two leads One lot red & the other, black. I *was* thinking about cutting the insulation to measure the diameter. The area of the cable I'm using to join the batteries is 78m^2.

I was also considering replacing these wires and attaching to the battery post as mine all are.

I've also been using these, post to post & soldering the connections.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Battery ... 2749.l2648
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:16 am

2 red leads from the inverter?? I notice they appear to be going through a loop of another cable in that photo. It's best to keep all your leads all separated, especially DC and AC, and only cross at right angles, rather than run in parallel, if possible.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby jaahn » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:59 am

Hi :)
Probably coming from the poor quality components and circuits. However if you used an external aerial, perhaps a wire extending outside to a tree, the vast increase of signal power might reduce the impact of the interference to low acceptable levels. :roll:

You could try a small bypass capacitor between the inputs near the units terminals and see if that does anything. They used to do that in cars to improve the reception. Like an old ignition 'condensor' from a points system. https://www.howacarworks.com/accessorie ... terference

Just like the good old days. I have listened to the ABC FNQ from PNG years ago with a decent aerial. Later did similar in Micronesia but that was short wave, ABC. Any wire and a couple of insulators each end. At a distance the reception is poor in the day but good at night. :geek:
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby jules » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:18 am

harrydiculous wrote:
The noise extend beyond the property but no one has complained. (It may be that it is very faint at that distance and I know what I'l hearing.) Anyway, the Boss wants her AM Radio.

and ....

I read somewhere, enclosing the unit in a Faraday Cage might work.

Any advice?

Thanks

If the inverter already has a steel case, without large openings [slot or hole size matters where you've got a "cage"] it's doubtful that you'd gain anything by adding an external Faraday cage. At a guess, some or all of the wires entering/leaving the inverter are acting as aerials for the internal RF signal generator.

It might be worth removing different wires to see if the RF decreases. You could check out RF chokes, which is what Gordon is suggesting and maybe apply something selectively to the naughty wires. An example of a common choke is the cylindrical gadget clamped onto the power lead for laptops and similar items. In this case it's there to block rubbish from the computer PS from exiting via the power cord and making a nuisance of itself. I don't know if a small ferrite choke like these would work in your situation but some experimentation could be interesting.

I also agree with jaahn about external aerials and perhaps, if the radio allows it, you could also connect a good earth.

In "the good old days" AM signal strength was so much higher than it is today [post FM] and I also remember picking up stations from all over Aus. from hundreds of miles [as they were] away.

PS I had a similar problem with a Victron solar regulator which caused shrill screaming noises on the radio. I sent it back.
Primary system: .8KW Trina panels; Plasmatronics PL40; 1,000Ah VRLA 12X2V battery bank; 1.7KW Selectronic inverter. Off grid for 30 years.

Spares; 5 x 12V, 1,000 Ah batteries plus a couple of regulators
jules
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance