Wind Gen/alt connections

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Wind Gen/alt connections

Postby Privatteer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:21 pm

There is plenty of sellers of better gear on ebay/web if you want to go that route without going too expensive.
Victron, Morningstar, plasmatronics.
While they may be built in china, they are at least built to a standard.

I'll mention the plasmatronics gear has capability to externally control a wind generator in a basic manor.
Method 1http://www.plasmatronics.com.au/downloads/PLWINDsheet1.pdf
Method 2http://www.plasmatronics.com.au/downloads/PLWINDsheet2.pdf
Stage 1:
Fronius Primo 5 + 6.6kW Canadian Solar
Privatteer
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby harrydiculous » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:04 pm

Unfortunately, I bought the Controller indicated before I read your post Privateer. I've downloaded the sheets offered though and noted your advice. So thanks.

The Unit arrived this morning and I'm in the process of fitting. I have to say that the instructions are a breath of fresh air. It's as though they want their unit to work for the customer. Concise, translated from Chinese, I'd say from the sentence construction but easy to understand.

Units 50 amp & above, they recommend that two x 6mm^2 wires be used and there is provision for this (Mine's 60 amp) on both the PV & battery sides. I'm running single 6mm^2 cable currently with a 420 amp so I guess adequate at the moment. When I increase to 1000 watt, I'll need to run larger diameter cables. That will be about 84 AMP plus what I can scavenge from the Wind Turbine.

They also recommend air circuit breakers on both sides of the unit. The largest I can see on ebay are 63AMP. Maybe the Energy Matters Store has something for me.
3kW on grid. Solar River PV Grid Tied inverter 3000TL. Rene Solar Panels 12 x 250. Solar Hot Water. 960 watt Solar off grid with 3500 watt inverter. 4 x 100 amp/h batteries.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:26 pm

harrydiculous wrote:Maybe the Energy Matters Store has something for me.

Probably not, they aren't doing anything in the way of off-grid components these days.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby australsolarier » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:44 pm

harrydicolous,
if you need a dc breaker bigger than 63A, buy a 2 pole breaker and connect parallel. you have then 126A.
buy a non polarized DC breaker. Noark or something. easy to get from australia. langir from aliexpress, half the price but probably a few weeks waiting.
i paralleled them buy making copper bars out of flattened 19mm pipe. with ingress for the screws. (there are slots at the top above the hole for the wire connection)
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby harrydiculous » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:22 am

Thanks again for the above. I haven't fitted the circuit breakers yet. I'll do that the next stage. So, I'm now trying to make sense of the figures I'm getting.

So, at 9.30 this morning, we have the following:- 420 watts of panels, we're getting,

Imageincoming from Solar by jibbonpoint, on Flickr

16.55 volts, 6.93 amps, and 114.6 watts.

From the Voltage Reg :-
Imagevoltage reg by jibbonpoint, on Flickr

12.2 Volts 9.7 amps

ImageIMGP3723 by jibbonpoint, on Flickr

The three units. The inverter is showing 12.5 volts and 265 volts but that's not right. Out is 240 volts.

I'm using an Ice Machine running at 0.7 amps to 0.8 amps & a camping Fridge already cooled to 4 Deg. This runs directly from the batteries. I haven't checked the amps. (The specs on the Ice machine say at Ice Harvesting it uses 1.2 amps but I didn't see this.)

The volts vary a bit during this process. It takes little time for the volts to increase when there's a break in process.

So, before I go to the next stage, I like to get a grip on whats happening. Even though it's 9.30 in the morning, I thought I'd get better from the panels. ( again i420 w Panels output 114.6 w).Maybe I need to check wiring of the panels.

Thanks.

EDIT: at 10.30 input from cells is 154 W and voltage at Regulator is now 13.3v.

EDIT2: 2 x 100 amp hour batteries might also be pertinent.....
3kW on grid. Solar River PV Grid Tied inverter 3000TL. Rene Solar Panels 12 x 250. Solar Hot Water. 960 watt Solar off grid with 3500 watt inverter. 4 x 100 amp/h batteries.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:30 am

The various DC voltages you are seeing are probably instrumental errors. Get yourself a good quality multi-meter to see what the real voltage is in various places on your circuits. No doubt there will also be a small contribution due to voltage drop, depending on where the current is flowing and size of the various cables.

How are your panels arranged- series/parallel etc, what is the voltage at the CC input? Also, are they pointing at the sun, or somewhere else? Is it sunny? Any shading of panels?
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby harrydiculous » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:47 am

Thanks again, Gordon.

The panels are in full sun, Parallel, no shading, facing North (or close enough) 30 degree elevation. I'm not sure about the CC ? input but the Voltage coming off the panels to the Voltage reg via the gauge shown is 16.55 Volts.
I checked the condition of the (2x) batteries yesterday with an hydrometer and all cells are good.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:01 pm

You should change your panel arrangement to make use of the MPPT function of your charge controller.
What is the max input voltage for it?

Can you arrange panels in strings of 2, to double the input voltage, and halve the current?

Keep in mind that the charging current will be reducing if your CC is in the absorb (constant voltage) stage.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby harrydiculous » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:21 pm

CC = Charge Controller.....duh! I didn't think that I had a hard night last night but I must have.

Max Input spec -
12 volt = 20 ~ 80 V,
24 volt = 37V ~ 105 V
36 volt = 50V ~ 160V
48 volt = 72V ~ 160V

I don't think I can change it Gordon with the current panels. 2 x 160 watt & 1 x 100 watt. BUT I'd change the 100 W and buy another 2 160's. (or another 1 x 160 & 1 x 60 he asks hesitatingly?)

The CC (heh!) max is 60 Amps.

I think I see what you mean, Gordon; currently it's only receiving less than 20 volts which is not optimising the MPPT.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:39 pm

You could just try the 2 X 160W panels in series, and leave the 100W off, just to see what you get- it may be more output than you are seeing now.
What is Voc and Vmp for the 160 and 100W panels? It is very unlikely that you would find a suitable 60W panel that could be used in any combination with your existing panels. The 100W panel could be put in series with another 100W panel, and that pair in parallel with the 160s, ONLY if the string voltage is similar. For parallel strings you need to match Vmp as closely as possible, Voc less important, and Imp and Isc not very important for that scenario.
For panels in a string, Imp should be as close as possible for each.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance