Wind Gen/alt connections

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Wind Gen/alt connections

Postby jaahn » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:57 am

Hi Harry :shock:
Wow instant action. Good !! You cannot have too many meters IMHO. You might be able to use one shunt and the two meters wired to it in both directions if they do not read backwards current. ??
The only small down side to note is that any meter which reads voltage will draw a very small current continuously. So be careful if you think every thing is off and you leave the system without any charging for a long time.
Keep learning, better than fish :ugeek: Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby harrydiculous » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:42 pm

I've taken jaahn's advice, purchased & fitted an above unit. Worked first go. Rather pleased with myself. :geek: Excuse the mess. It's fitted between the Cells & The Voltage regulator.

ImageIMGP3635 by jibbonpoint, on Flickr

It was cloudy when I took the picture a few minutes ago. The only equipment attached was the Inverter and the batteries.

It's is connected via Anderson Plugs so I can remove if I need to.
3kW on grid. Solar River PV Grid Tied inverter 3000TL. Rene Solar Panels 12 x 250. Solar Hot Water. 960 watt Solar off grid with 3500 watt inverter. 4 x 100 amp/h batteries.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby jaahn » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:21 am

Hi Harry :)
Excellent ! Isn't it good to know what is happening :geek: Easy to read meters also !
Just to point out they will draw a small current all the time so if you leave the batteries without solar input then you perhaps should disconnect them if left for a long time. :roll:
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby harrydiculous » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:31 am

Hi

A bit more assistance please. :)

I connected the meter correctly as per my last post. Used soldered connections except for the end wire ferules of which I had none. Decided to shove the wires into the meter and "I'll sort out later." Unfortunately, on moving the meter to a suitable position, a wire must have shorted across the meter. Meter OK but the Hybrid Voltage regulator immediately ceased operation.

So, I fitted a 10 amp unit that I bought years ago to maintain the batteries (no problems with this) while I waited for the 50amp solar unit (PWM) for $20 to arrive from Banggood. This subsequently arrived & commenced to overcharge the batteries.

Anyway, the upshot is, I've decided to increase the 420w solar panels to 1000w over time. I'm committed to 12 Volts.

Q 1. I've been told elsewhere that I can run the Wind Generator Regulator output into the solar regulator. Is this OK?
Q 2. I don't want to muck around with junk anymore. So I''m looking for a decent Voltage Reg. I've come up with this one: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30A-40A-50A ... 0005.m1851

This can be connected in parallel so says the specs and can therefore be increased by the installation of another unit as I expand my current system. For 1000 watt, I figured I'd need 84 Amps + overs.

Any comments? Thanks.

Graeme

Note. Checked the Hybrid for maybe a fuse but couldn't find any. This was only 400watt solar so I was bound to move beyond it anyway.
Last edited by Gordon-Loomberah on Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed URL
3kW on grid. Solar River PV Grid Tied inverter 3000TL. Rene Solar Panels 12 x 250. Solar Hot Water. 960 watt Solar off grid with 3500 watt inverter. 4 x 100 amp/h batteries.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby australsolarier » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:41 pm

try not to buy chinese charge controllers or inverters.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:38 pm

harrydiculous wrote:Q 2. I don't want to muck around with junk anymore. So I''m looking for a decent Voltage Reg.

I've come up with this one: https:cheapebaycontroller

I'm sensing some conflicting statements! :o

Any comments? Thanks.

Sounds pretty risky to me

See comment from australsolarier!
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby harrydiculous » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:03 pm

Everything seems to come from China. I'm trying to believe that it's not all , um, below par. (Sorry about the golf analogy). "Assembled in the US from global components" seems to be a popular phrase. I did look at the "Energy Matters" shop but nothing there.

I should perhaps have gone for a 24 volt system. Not much I can do about that now.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby jaahn » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi Harry :)
Hmmm bad luck. A learning process with live wires ??

I tried the Energy Matters site for regulators and could not get it to list any more than the first page ?? Some problem there. :roll:

The reg you referenced, I have never heard of them but i am no expert. They say they are MPPT and you can just mount in parallel for increased current. Hmm even the high priced brands do not claim that it is so easy. In previous times the cheapest brand that people said did actually work properly as MPPT are EPsolar Tracer units. They make a couple of styles in a range of current capacities. There may be others just as good but I have had two of these and they are OK at a reasonable price. Search on ebay for places who sell them. They are made in China and are available from there or here in Aus. They do not go to the high amps though.

You can find better quality units and larger ones too. They can get expensive also. Possibly you may not be ready for that yet. I have also a Victron. Am happy with it too and it came from Energy matters shop. 50A MPPT. It was made in India :roll: Note most of these units are 12/24V auto dual voltage so if you decide to go for 24V you can just reconfigure them without cost and double the power rating.
Jaahn
PS If you want to know the fake MPPT regs for sale look at the weight. Some obviously do not have the internal parts to do the job. Look carefully to make sure you are not being flogged a cheaper copy on ebay..
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:48 pm

I'll see if I can find out what's going on with the store.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby harrydiculous » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:02 pm

I may have presented a case study on what damage can be achieved by using products that don't work. I fitted this (I believe) as per instructions & set up as per. But the regulator kept trying to charge the batteries that were already fully charged. Batteries started to bubble and an alarm went off on the Inverter. So I shut it off pretty quick. So a $20 piece of equipment might have cost me $500 worth of batteries. (By the way, I checked the output disconnected from the batteries and it showed a fluctuation between 15.8 & 16.2 volts. Incoming from the panels I think, was about 18 volts.

I did look for other gear like Victron & the Tracer stuff. (And, again, I did look at the Energy Matters site).

I'll run with the Reg I presented above. (Australian Stock anyway) but before I upgrade to 1000 Watt, I'll revisit all the equipment that I currently have & replace. There will be a lot more batteries at risk.

Just as a matter of interest, the 3.5kw inverter which has been performing OK, tells me that it is outputting 260 volts. It isn't; it's 240 volts. I did check if it was indeed a full sine wave so I checked it with a (Chinese) oscilloscope and it came up good. I checked the Oscilloscope against two other inverters, Modified & Full, and it "passed."

But, the inverter was only about $350. A Redarc is about 10X that amount.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance