Wind Gen/alt connections

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Wind Gen/alt connections

Postby harrydiculous » Tue May 01, 2018 3:35 pm

Actually, I thought that I'd post this so it doesn't look quite so silly. (or ridiculous :) ).

I'm standing directly under the Turbine.

It has about 150 - 180 degrees of clear view. This is pointing sou'sou' west.

Anyway, most of the power will com from the added panels. This is more of a bit of fun.

ImageIMGP3258 by jibbonpoint, on Flickr

I've earthed the mast to a ground copper rod I've driven into the earth.

So, a question; Do I need a second rod and take an earth from the negative battery terminal? I have an earth from the inverter to a cold water tap.
3kW on grid. Solar River PV Grid Tied inverter 3000TL. Rene Solar Panels 12 x 250. Solar Hot Water. 960 watt Solar off grid with 3500 watt inverter. 4 x 100 amp/h batteries.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Tue May 01, 2018 3:52 pm

That view looks much better for a wind turbine, but trees close behind it can cause turbulence too.

Ideally you would have a common earthing point for everything 240V and battery neg. I hope you have an earth stake attached to your plumbing - a live shower isn't much fun! ...speaking from experience in a WA motel I stayed in once.

How are the electricals arranged in the wind turbine, slip rings or cable that might wind up one day? In any case I expect the electricals are insulated from the tower and the earthing is for lightning protection. Those nearby higher trees will offer a bit of lightning protection too, but not 100%.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby harrydiculous » Wed May 02, 2018 7:35 am

Slip rings. And I've noticed some flexing on the mast when the inevitable turbulence manifests itself. The turbine can't react as quickly as it would like to. This may not be a long term proposition. Thanks for the tip regarding the house earth pole. I'll check. They are only $7 for the clad units from Bunnings and fortunately easy to drive in here.
3kW on grid. Solar River PV Grid Tied inverter 3000TL. Rene Solar Panels 12 x 250. Solar Hot Water. 960 watt Solar off grid with 3500 watt inverter. 4 x 100 amp/h batteries.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby harrydiculous » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:17 am

I think I'm obliged to supply feedback here, regardless of how predictable it is.

The Wind Turbine wouldn't produce more than 11 volts AC 3Ph in the available winds. My anemometer carked it at the wrong time so I was unable to record the wind speed. I've taken it down for the present but not given up. I'll revive it at a future time, probably with 5 blades.

Anyway, the solar I've expanded to 320W and added another 100 amp hour battery (2 now). I've room for another 80 Watt on the shed roof.

So, we can run the 5.5 kg washing machine all day with a rest after the Spin Cycle on a sunny day. (A "spur of the moment" decision). Will run the Metalworking lathe (750W) and starts & runs the 2000W metal dropsaw.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:28 am

It doesn't really need to produce any more than 11VAC on the 3phase to be able to charge a 12VDC battery, as the DC voltage after rectification will be higher. It would be a bit over 15V with no load, but will drop under load. However, it will be higher at higher wind speeds. Adding more blades wont make it spin any faster (for higher voltage), it will more likely spin more slowly than it would with 2 or 3 blades.

Still, you will get more energy for your dollar with solar panels.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby harrydiculous » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks Gordon, I read that the five blades is more efficient in low winds but less so in high. (Due to more "dirty" air produced). I've already expended the money, so anything I get, I get for free. :) .
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby australsolarier » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:05 pm

yes the money is already spent. i also spent the money. the windmill is now safely stored in the attic. where it is much better than on the roof.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:23 pm

harrydiculous wrote: read that the five blades is more efficient in low winds

It may well start spinning in lower wind speeds, but I doubt it will generate any more power. Power output is proportional to the cube of the wind speed, so there is minimal power to be extracted at low wind speeds, even with 50 blades ;)

In less than ideal locations, australsolarier's solution is a pretty good one :) Selling it and buying another panel or 2 could be an even better solution!
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby australsolarier » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Gordon, selling the windmill, yes good option. just didn't want somebody else fall into that trap.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby harrydiculous » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:32 am

Hi again.

I've re-installed the Wind Turbine and it's currently churning out >14 Volts AC 3 ph. I'm a bit worried now about this "dump load." Batteries are full & the sun's out. I'm using what I can.

The Regulator that came with the WT has a "braking mode." I'm not using that, I'm using the Hybrid Unit so I don't know if that "braking load" would operate under the current unit.

The instructions I just don't get. Do I hook up a 240 volt light/s? Immersion heater and how do I set up the Hybrid Regulator?

Hopefully this will be my last query for a while & I can get on with it.

The set up is in a post in this thread on the 26th April this year.

Thanks again --Graeme
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance