Wind Gen/alt connections

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Wind Gen/alt connections

Postby jaahn » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:17 am

H Graeme (Harry) :D
Re reading some of the past posts I note you did buy some meters. And do have a clamp/multi meter. I would put a meter shunt into the 12v supply for the inverter so you can read the power drawn by it in these situations.
1 standby. what current does it draw when nothing is running off it. Important to find out how much is wasted.
2 startup current for each of the fridge and the freezer. You will have to stand and watch that carefully.
3 running current for each of them seperately and together.
4 how long does each run/off cycle last for each of them.
% what the battery voltage drop is in each of these situations with no solar charging.
This will give you some data to estimate how many amp hrs you use running the fridge and freezer using the inverter. Then you will know if you have enough or not enough or maybe almost enough.
Have you looked at the nameplate wattage for the two units. Compare this to the DC input wattage to the inverter for an estimate of the efficiency.
Jaahn
jaahn
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby harrydiculous » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:14 am

Thanks Jaahn. I've printed that out.

I might add that if I can make any contributions to this group it is:- DON'T USE 12 VOLT. It might be OK for Caravans & small systems but the cost of cables, methods of connection including an ability to solder and just the difficulty of running thicker cables causes nightmares.
3kW on grid. Solar River PV Grid Tied inverter 3000TL. Rene Solar Panels 12 x 250. Solar Hot Water. 960 watt Solar off grid with 3500 watt inverter. 4 x 100 amp/h batteries.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby harrydiculous » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:38 am

I felt that I needed to remove & check all the battery cables as well as adding some circuit breakers to the system before I took the system further into the house & the Freezers & Fridge. (The specs on the Freezer may be on the back of the unit. Removing it presents some problems due to location.. I can't find any online either. I can check on draw using a meter & a stripped outer extension lead of course & I'll do that.)

So, today I ran a quick test. It was at 12 O'Clock, the 960W of panels are at 33 deg at Noon and north facing. Full sun.

Power draw from the panels was about 360W & amps 9 - !0. Prior to test the batteries were showing 14.4 watts. During test with the Freezer, the Voltage dropped to 13.5 as shown on the Inverter & the MPPT Regulator.

I decided to give it more load by turning on a couple of pieces of equipment - 550W & 350 W x 240 Volt.

The voltage dropped quickly to 13 volts however, I did expect an increase in power from the panels as more current was drawn from the batteries. But there wasn't.

Is there a reason that this may not have happened?

Thanks.

Graeme
3kW on grid. Solar River PV Grid Tied inverter 3000TL. Rene Solar Panels 12 x 250. Solar Hot Water. 960 watt Solar off grid with 3500 watt inverter. 4 x 100 amp/h batteries.
harrydiculous
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Previous

Return to Components, Installation And Performance