micro hydro??

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

micro hydro??

Postby gpigeon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:22 am

As you may be aware from my recent posts, I have just had a 9.6kW off grid system installed. Even though my daily usage is omly around 10kWh, I opted for a slightly larger PV system to cater for the extended cloudy periods we can get in the Border Ranges area of NSW.
The average daily output from my separate 10kW grid tied system is 38kWh, so that means that on average I have around 28kWh/day of production that is not being used.
My question is how to utilise it?
I have a 22.5kL house water supply tank on a hill within 300m (23m head) of the house.This tank is supplied both by a solar pump in a spring and by a transfer pump which is supplied by the 5x 22.5kL house rainwater and the house power.
Is it worth putting in a second dedicated tank and running a micro hydro system off it? Anyone got one of these running? Homemade?
Thanks.
gpigeon
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: micro hydro??

Postby lantern » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:28 am

lantern
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:39 am

22.5kl @23m head, 300m away isn't a very good proposition. Lots of frictional losses in the pipe unless you go large diameter with the poly, and even then you'll be lucky to store 1kW of usable energy.

@5 lps, you'll be doing well to get 600W for 1 1/4 hours before the tank is empty.

With 75mm pipe, you'd lose 1/4 of your head to friction, so larger pipe would be required to get anywhere near the above from it.

I've got all the bits together- pipes, fittings, tanks, pelton wheels etc for a 24000l tank at 85m head, but securing the pipe has been an issue down the steep rocky slope, so I've not done anything with it for years, as there is plenty of other important stuff to do.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby gpigeon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:57 am

Yes, thanks Gordon....I thought the idea was a bit fanciful! Ah, but what is an old man without his fanciful thoughts? ( both techo and non-techo ones) I thought that you would have already had a go at it!
You are also right about having more important projects to attend to.
Cheers.
Bill.
gpigeon
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Return to Components, Installation And Performance