Electric panel resistive element water heating

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Electric panel resistive element water heating

Postby australsolarier » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:10 pm

Kurt,
if you are worried about the orientation, just orient it towards the north.
that little shed is the roof at the same height like the adjoining large shed?
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:24 pm

that little shed is the roof at the same height like the adjoining large shed?

Not sure what you saying. The power room is actually part of the house largest building with 4000w NE pv array. the slab just extends from the laundry end of the house and there is a cylinder block wall joining then power room to the house and the power room is a little cylinder block room. Though it has its own tin roof same as the house roof.It more of lees follows the line of the house roof from the low point.

This shows it better

This pic you can see a mop in the corner where the Cylinder block wall meets the house. That's where I will put the tank under the eave So its sheltered and just 3m from the collector on the power room roof.I will run the pipe through the wall to the instantaneous gas water heater on the other side of the brick wall.

The shed is 18m to the right in that aerial pic with the 4200w NW Pv array. The tiny little thing near the shed is the generator room.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:44 pm

if you worried either about the northern orientation or the 15 degree inclination of the roof,

a) mount the frame diagonally on the roof

b) build a frame on top of the roof to level it out
(a and b together: perfect norther orientation, but not so good to look at and the gain is probably not very much and ...... i am sure the wife will keep looking at it and say it is an eye sore)

the 15 degrees will give you a more eastern bias

i don't think the sun will shin behind the tube array in the winter, you probably meant in the summer

i have that "problem" with my raised solar panels on the 8 degree shed roof.
with the solar hot water flat plat panel the sun shines behind to roof. (30 degrees)

in the winter the 30 degree solar hot water flat panel works between 9 to 15 hours, in the summer two more hours.( the tubes work somewhat longer in the afternoon. they get shone at the back in summer mornings and afternoon too. this is not altogether a bad thing, as we need most energy harvest in winter.)
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:48 pm

having another look:
so the roof drop creates an eastern bias, the orientation of the shed points to a western orientation, you should be pretty spot on.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:55 pm

Shed is confusing me (power room)3m2 building atached to the house or shed 120m2 building 18m away from the house.?

Yes the power room roof faces NE the same as the part of the house that has PV on it. Shed faces NW.

Yes it would be no issue constructing any frame needed to make the collector tilt and point where I wanted it . Though like you say it will clash with the esthetics of the house...(I can see Gordon rolling his eyes and saying harden up Kurt what do you want hot water or a pretty house :lol: )

So the only thing I can adjust is the incline. Lay it flat 15deg or modify the back legs of the frame to give any tilt from 15 - 50 deg. Though i still feel that even in winter if its facing NE and at to aggressive angle it would get less direct sun (other than a short period in the morning to late morning than say 30% . I need to nut it out a little .

Summer it just glides over the top so not a issue.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:12 pm

what i am trying to say, point it north west parallel in line with the power room roof. so the bins are on your right, the laundry on your left. so that means you have north western bias. however, the slope of the little power room roof slopes to north east, so that means i has an eastern bias. now put the two together and you are darn close to north.

suppose you could put a stick , or a triangle up there to see what happens, beats all discussions.

(yes the sloping eastern influence is a bit difficult to fathom, but believe me it will give an eastern bias, all you have to do is take your hand, and tilt it down at your right, you can instantly see you'll get an eastern bias.) or build a small mock up model and tilt it around. ( so the two biases should compensate each other somewhat)
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:19 pm

I see what your saying though that's not a option as the collector is about 2.8m wide and its a 3m x 1.8m roof so running it that way for a NW orientation would work. Well without having it look ridiculous with 1/2 of it hanging over in mid air.

Yes I know it will give me a eastern bias the same as the 4000w PV array though my thinking is in winter the sun has a easterly bias as in it by the time the sun is on it at 7am and the sun swings low across the sky to the west is not really going to be any better pointing NW than NE.
Last edited by offgridQLD on Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:21 pm

it will keep you busy thinking, hehehe
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:32 pm

Actually no that was wrong it tightens up the arc on both east and west over winter lower shorter arc. Though with the tube collectors I think laying it down flatter in the NE direction it would collect from the side of the tubes perhaps not with a flat panel.

though I could leave the orientation fitting the shape of the roof and extend the mounting points on the south side of the collector giving it a slight lilt to the NW side on but would have to see aesthetically if that was I eye sore or not.

kind of like this, though being a tube I don't think that tilt will help that much as the sun would still hit it sitting flat with the roof.

offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:51 pm

yes Kurt, that looks pretty good. some of them heat pipes need to have a minimum inclination to work properly. but you already have 15 degrees on the roof slope, so you should be in clover.

another bonus, added shading to the power room. did they give you a reflective sheet for underneath? not that they do much. the glass tube underneath gets quite filmy from dirt so not much reflecting anyway. plus the reflecting material i got was not the best of material, but the frame serves to strengthen the integrity of the whole set up.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance