Electric panel resistive element water heating

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Electric panel resistive element water heating

Postby australsolarier » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:34 pm

Kurt, just to give you an idea about inclination:
i am at 34.3 degrees latitude. my vacuum tubes are 45 degrees inclination and true north.

my controller measures kw/h harvested, though the numbers are for comparison only (the measuring parameters are set for the slow pump setting but now running in the fast.)
at winter the top harvest was 37kw/h yesterday i had 61kw/h
and having in mind that now the temperature in the tanks are between 75 and 82 degrees, whereas in winter the temperature is pulled down by heating to more like 60 degrees.
so there is easy room to go to 60 degrees for a more even seasonal harvest.
before your system is built, maybe you want to think about a seasonal adjustable rig. you'll need some bits of flexible heat proof pressure hose though. they use them in cars so i am sure it is doable. or maybe corrugated stainless steel. here june is the week month, but you are probably better latitude and climate wise.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:40 pm

gordon,
acidic rain, as far as i know, the acidity goes out of the rainwater very quickly and settles as some residue on the bottom. i have been told this by some reputable person that looked into it. but have not double checked on other information.
in my solahart the magnesium rod lasts ca 6 years, but there is still a fair bit of material attached when changing. in my case it is a pain, because i have to drain the whole tank. the tank was built with plastic hangers for the rod, but they dissolved in the hot water into white crumbly stuff and black goo occasionally emerging through the hot water tap. so i have to remove the big plate on the side to put the arm inside the tank to hold up the about the 1.8m long sacrificial anode for the first few turns. suppose flushing the tank every 6 years won't harm it.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:42 pm

as a general note, you should not clean out the muck at the bottom of the rain water tank. it is supposed to have a cleaning action, sort of a natural one
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:54 pm

I don't think it's really worth the extra complications of making it adjustable- mine is tilted up for winter and there is more than enough hot water in summer. Even with the less than ideal tilt for summer, I still have about 1/3 of the array covered with shade cloth for most of the Sept to March period as the T/P valve wastes too much water otherwise. I just remove the shading if we are in for a few consecutive cloudy days.

I'm pretty sure there is no settling out of Carbonic acid (what you get when CO2 dissolves in water)- my tank water that has been in the tank for many months is still just as acidic as freshly fallen rain. I know this because I monitor it for my aquaponics systems with a calibrated pH meter.

I've never cleaned out a water tank, and one of them (22500l) has been in use for over 20 years! Due to the acidic water, the Zinc is slowly dissolving, and that water has about 6ppm of Zinc in it. I tested it to see how much Zinc there was, as Zinc is poisonous to trout at very low levels.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby australsolarier » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:19 pm

gordon,
i stand corrected, will do a ph test in my rain water tanks
maybe the bloke was talking about something different

thanks for the info
Last edited by australsolarier on Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:24 pm

ordered ph meter and will come back with the results
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:34 pm

In the cities you get a bit of nitric and sulphuric acid as well due to industrial and motor vehicle pollution, but I cant see that settling out, as it is highly soluble in water. I'm sure the particulate matter will settle, but don't think that would have a significant pH changing effect. I wouldn't really want it in my water supply though!
I've chucked a bit of shell grit into my tanks to add some carbonates, but clearly it will take a fair bit more to increase the pH, as I didn't notice much change.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby australsolarier » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:41 pm

australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:53 pm

No, but limestone = CaCO3 = shell grit, except the shell grit will have more effect due to greater surface area, and being softer.
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby offgridQLD » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:02 pm

The little power room shed in the pic below it sits about 3m to the right of the House under the letters (north) That's where I will mount the 30 tube collector as its the perfect size for the little roof. Its facing NE and about 15% inclination on the Tin. So I was thinking if I use the included frame it would be tilted to much. particularly as the sun swings to the west over the day in winter it would be hitting it almost from behind.

offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance