selectronic or victron inverter?

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: selectronic or victron inverter?

Postby offgridQLD » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:17 pm

Golden rule never order anything in the post in December!

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:43 pm

The Startrack depot in Tamworth has to be seen to be believed, it really does look like they are prepared for the zombie apocaylypse with the high, electrified on multiple levels, + razor wire perimeter fencing. I'd rather not have to go there, 45km away, but they have decided that I live too far out of town to deliver parcels to me.
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Postby Ray » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:13 pm

My Opinion of Star Track is very very bad not the first time i have heard a bad story.

Recommend having a good look at the package before and even inside to check for damage etc, Before you sign for it :D

Better to be safe than sorry

Glad to hear you have found a good unit hope you it all goes well for you in the pick up tomorrow.

Ray
Ray
Solar Evangelist
Solar Evangelist

Postby australsolarier » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:54 pm

i will bring a witness and the smart phone for evidence
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:07 pm

ok, last monday i went to the star track depot. well i was amazed, the outfit looked very professional and the selectronic was actually there ready to be picked up. and undamaged.
the selectronics weighs more than 40 kg and it is a major operation to hang it up on the hooks.

connected it all up. hooked up the air compressor. there was absolutely no increased humming or rumbling from the selectronic. i was amazed. now busy with the programming.

the bloke sending the bussmann disconnector put the fuses inside the box and closed it. and took me two hours to open the darned thing. easy enough when the box is screwed to the wall pulling the handle, but nothing to grab on when lose.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:55 pm

Yes that's a good outcome in the end. :D

The old selectronic's I have grunt's and gown's. Mimicking the sound / frequency in the inverter of what ever load its running. It's normal and doesn't bother me as it's outside away from the house. Though quieter is always much better. My little hi freq 4000w inverter is dead quiet under all kinds of loads.

40kg at least they are a bit less than there old units. I think my Selectonic PS1 is about 80kg or so. lets just say there was a lot of cursing getting that out of a confined cabinet on my own.

The new inverter should serve you well for a long time.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:08 pm

brought the 48v battery bank to float today. i still have that problem that the midnite classic is reversing, even though now the selectronic is hooked up to the battery bank. i turned on the water pump with no effect. disconnecting the midnite from the battery solves the problem it goes into proper float.
kurt, i think that might have been the reason why you thought that midnite on the 3 panel strings got so hot. when it does that reversing my classic gets quite warm too and the fan turns on.
supposedly the latest firm ware is timing out that intermediate state, but i am waiting until the "easy update for windows 10 procedure" is out.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:37 pm

I'm not really having any issues you mentioned int he Midnite solar thread.

I'm just reading through your thread again over there. One thing to note is if you have the EVpower blue box conected it consumes a bit of power, it has a few contators and so on inside (from memory t has a 15w power supply inside) along with the classic it's self consumes some power when running. This could be what your picking up on with the WBJR shunt.

Though that said if your PV was out out of the equation like you said they shouldn't get hot sitting there especualy not hot enough to activate the fan( 48C) I know both my units don't produce any heat if the PV is isolated from them.

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:51 pm

the blue ev power box uses about 40ma , the midnite classic 0.1a, the selectronic about 0.9a. the midnite drew another 0.9a for his reversing.
the relais inside the blue box are "latching relays" they only use power to close or to open. probably a tad underpowered for the capacity of the big selectronic. it measures current in and out and compiles soc. however not very exact on low levels like under 1ampere. above very similar to the whizzbang jr. it does not have a shunt inside but some kind of winding wire like a clamp ampere meter.
when the blue box detects a fault, under voltage, over voltage, one cell out of order, it disonnects the solar charger and the inverter from the battery .also turns off when extended use over 200amps. the only disavantage is you cannot programm the over and under voltages. or anything else for that matter.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:08 pm

Yes the blue box isn't that impressive for what it costs.

Not sure whats up with your 0.9A internal consumption situation. I believe you that your seeing it just. I have never experienced it.

Though after just reading about the latest firmware update on the other forum. Personally I wont be in a hurry to upgrade to it. I think it could open up more issues that is fixes. Particularly if your running two classics trying to share the loads. Also something about 90 seconds befor going to rest if no production. That sounds crazy as when you trigger float it takes longer than that for the surface charge to bleed off to float voltage set point on lithium's.

and in my case it will be trying to fix a issue I haven't encounter yet in 4 years or so of using the classic's

Kurt
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to Components, Installation And Performance