MPPSolar - PCM5048 - Time to come out.. :-(

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: MPPSolar - PCM5048 - Time to come out.. :-(

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:13 am

one of the two fans in my Selectronics inverter...whats that made in china.... :?

Also products evolving over time isn't anything new. Not often would I recommend to anyone to buy a GEN 1 of anything as there are always improvements. Take the selectronic inverter I have for example in 2010 it was replaced with a newer model a bit smaller and lighter along with running at a higher frequency. Again this model was replaced a few years on with the lates SP pro range. that's 3 models over 6 years.

As an example some people have issues with the 2010 model I have that the frequency is very slow and some appliances Like (induction cook tops) make strange noises and vibrations. in the inverter and in the appliance.I have noticed there are a few things I don't run on this inverter because of this.

I think one member of this forum contacted them and asked about the issue. They were told " Oh if you purchase one of our new models you wont have the issues"

This was just accepted. Now if this was A Chinese manufacturer everyone would have been jumping up and down in a fit of disgust.
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby australsolarier » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:55 pm

Kurt by changing fans, i meant, according to your ev friends, the fans in the mppsolars are blowing downwards. they changed them around to blow upwards and were happier with that.

Victron: i drilled 4 holes into the wall, hooked up the wires and that is all i had to do. i do not think you will find fora with victron modificactions. and it is still reliably going after 10 years.

the same advice given by victron though, my model is not meant for lifepo4's. it works but you cannot program it properly for the cut off voltage. "the new ones are suitable" (i just asked them if i can update the firmware, i cannot with my older model)

and yes if i would have much spare time at my hands and be inclined to do experiments i would consider buying a mmpsolar inverter. but i would not trust it to charge my battery bank modified or not. this is why there are selectronic, victron, midnite classic etc screwed to my wall.

the same with power tools. i buy a good trade name quality tool, hoping it is going to last my life time. and it does its job when i need it.

as for chinese manufacturing even my chinese friends prefer foreign brand names or imports . when you asked them what kind of a car they bought they will tell you such and such and made in japan.
the kitchen has bosch utensils. etc etc
i have been asked if i would send baby milk powder to china if the mother for some reason was unable to have milk. (she did not need the milk powder)
i believe strongly china has a big potential and they will equal japanese quality standards, in 20 years or so. at the moment some things are good coming out of china: vacuum heat pipes and solar panels for example. you just never know.
australsolarier
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Postby offgridQLD » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:20 pm

The selectronic inverters fans blow hot air out the bottom and the air intake is on the top (same as the PIP standard form) Yes some people turned them around in the pip as they think it would be better though I haven't changed the direction around on my fans they are as they come stock and it performs fine so I don't plan on touching it. Could be some reason for it (selectronic do the same direction)

Yes you might not have wasted 15 min upgrading the firmware (predominantly because it's not even a option on some inverters) though the fact that most inverter/chargers + solar charge controller are going to cost you 5 - 10 times as much for the two items that come as a package in the pip (how many man hrs work do you need to do in your occupation to make up the cost difference)

Yes I know generally quality cost money but paying some one local a fortune to assemble something in AU (where running a manufacturing business isn't cost effective) isn't going always to get you a better product often just a more expensive one.

Blanket statements based on what country a product is from. It's funny when you see people carry on about some product and how good it is because its made in Germany only to find out that its been overtaken by a Chinese company for many years and all the products have been designed and manufactured in china that they are so happy with. But if the brand makes them feel good.

The Chinese will manufacture what you ask them to from rubbish to the best there is. In 2016 I couldn't care less where a product is made as long as it performs in a way that meets the expectations and offers good value.

Don't get me wrong it's not a Selectronic bashing thread and by no means am I trying to say the pip is better. I just like to keep things balanced and say it like it is from my experience. If Something blows up in the PIP you will hear about it . If the Selectronic has some good points you will hear about them. I'm not brand loyal I have the so called good gear (selectronic, Midnite solar and so on) and they are working well in general. Though they still all have good and bad points .

Though after using the PIP for some time in a trail system the batterys were getting charged to spec and AC power was flowing without hiccups. I can't complain about the pip4048 .I have had it several years use out of it to date what more could I want from it. I will report back in a few more years. I have several friends using them who say it like it is as well and one person installing a few into lithium based offgrid systems for other people with no issues to report.

To use the car analogy again. A $100,000 Audi is a great car and if you list out the specs and go into all the detail about why the quality is better then say a basic Hyundai but when you boil it down they will both get you from A-B the basic function of a car. They will both last a long time (should get 300,000+ km from them) There is a market for both cars .
offgridQLD
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Previous

Return to Components, Installation And Performance