Off-Grid: AC-what usable % of DC energy, now with Lithium!

Getting into the nuts and bolts of wind and solar power components, installation and performance issues, ask technical questions, answers and tips

Re: Off-Grid: AC-what usable % of DC energy, now with Lithium!

Postby Cherokee Solar » Mon May 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Hey guys,

Off grid is definitely not set and forget. ;)

Do you reckon the battery management systems for lithium will get easier to use over time? There doesn't seem to be a lot of tolerance for error? Batteries on the whole are unforgiving beasts. :lol:

It is a bit off topic, but the temperature sensors and regulation with manual programs works a treat here with the lead acid. It is really good stuff and is getting a lot more charge into the batteries now that it is cooler.

How are the lithiums going in the cooler conditions? Have you noticed any changes?

Picking up the steel for the wind turbine mast tomorrow. :D Very exciting. I got a quote from one of the local welding mobs to make it up and I almost fell over when I got the quote because it was so expensive. Anyway, I'm going to have to make it up myself over the next week or so. :shock:

Chris
Off grid solar + hot water. Heavily insulated + owner built flamezone house BAL-FZ. 300 mixed fruit trees + herbs + flowers + vegetables. Bees + heritage chickens. High up in the mountains north of Melbourne. http://ferngladefarm.blogspot.com.au/
Cherokee Solar
Solar Crusader
Solar Crusader

Re: Off-Grid: AC-what usable % of DC energy, now with Lithium!

Postby Gordon-Loomberah » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:03 pm

Cherokee Solar wrote:Do you reckon the battery management systems for lithium will get easier to use over time?

Yes I'm sure they will, and as many more people start to acquire batteries to escape the cost of grid electricity, I think it is a necessity that they do so. There will probably be something along the lines of a system that sends an alert to the system manager when a parameter gets out of its safe range, and maybe weekly or monthly reports that will pick up trends that may be an early indication of problems, etc.
Not every user is going to be able to interpret the data, so they will need someone to keep an eye on it for them.

How are the lithiums going in the cooler conditions? Have you noticed any changes?

Changes...not really, but no generator use since I installed them, I would've had to use it on quite a few days with Pb-acid. :)
http://gunagulla.com Loomberah weather and astronomy including live solar radiation intensity and UV + Gunagulla aquaponics, organic eggs and cherries
Gordon-Loomberah
Community Moderator

Previous

Return to Components, Installation And Performance